PDA

View Full Version : Down & Out *LIKE A CHAMP*

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Well...

The mach is broken and I did it. YUP! Wasnt intentional but I may as well held a gun to my own brain and blown money all over the place.

I was down in the Carolinas on vacation and my friend had just opened up his car shop. He took me to this "surprise" place to show me something and it was his open house of a business he bought/opened. It was his grand opening and the parking lot was FULL of people (gangstas) in these DONKS. If you dont know its those ridiculous cars sitting on big wheels. The place is full of them and they are doing burn outs.

See it coming???

Well. He evidently talks me and my car up that he is bringing me buy so once i turn in this place erupts with a bunch of kids and people (gangstas) hoping around looking forward to seeing the stang light em up.

See it coming yet???

Well there is a bunch of people lined up and they convince me to light em up and I'm nervous to start with cause i havent done a ligit burnout since last summer.

I get in the car back it up and can feel the jitters in my legs. I start to bring up the RPMS and usually let the clutch out while sliding my foot over to the brake a little ...........

That part got forgotten (sliding foot to brake) and the whole damn strip of that parking lot was spinning tires and making smoke out the rear but ALSO billowing smoke out from underneath the hood.

I hear CLUTCH!!!! In the background. Pissed at myself and embarrassed I pull back around and get it right the 2nd time lighting that whole parking lot up the way I SHOULD HAVE DONE.....the first time. Thats right, I should have JUST SAID NO!! AINT DOIN IT. Too far from home if I break it but thats exactly what I did.

I did get the car home the next day but not before finding a nice grinding sound when I started the car. Now I have my ford buddy look at it an we take off the starter to find that we can move the flywheel with our fingers through the starter hole........

Probably snapped all kinds of stuff in there and its not going to be cheap to fix so my car sits in the garage dead as a door nail till I can fix it

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yooformula
05-22-2008, 05:36 PM
ouch.....wait for it....video to be posted on youtube.

sorry to hear that, at least you learned your lesson.

Nix
05-22-2008, 05:36 PM
It sounds to me like you pulled a Mr. Twigbert. :rolf

Sorry dude, thats blows donkey nuts.

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Im sure it will be posted somewhere. OUCH

What sucks is 16 hours of hearing it from my wife driving back home

michelle
05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Oh ouch, sorry to hear that! Hope the damage costs aren't as much as it sounds like and you can get it back together and running soon.

lordairgtar
05-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Never show off in front of Donk drivers...they are not worth the trouble.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Did y'all have the baby with you on the trip ? If so I can kinda understand your wifes frustration of possibly being let down in the middle of no where with a broke piece of junk and a 6? month old baby :wow
Its not that big of a deal really, the stock clutches in these cars are light duty garbage.
I am surprised mine is still holding on at 45k miles, I am looking to replace mine before it does bust and leave the car dead in the water.

You should be able to find a nice clutch for $500

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
^Oh I get her frustration but I think its in a man's genes to ***** even though she is right and justified.

Hannah is 9 months now and I was freakin out to about having them down there stranded and have me be at fault. I would be around family which is no issue but money spent v/s how long we would be stuck and have to be at work on certain day.

Lesson learned for sure!!

I can either avoid peer pressure or install line lock

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
cant seem to mention little hannah without wanting to show her off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/Hannah/0511081445.jpg

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Beautiful little girl, looks like you. :headbang

moels
05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Kelley, even if you can't get it fixed right away you could still get it to shows early on a flatbed and still get a trophy. bwahahaha! :)

Slow Joe
05-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Ouch, I thought you said you just had to replace the starter... Now the truth comes out... :rolf Oh well, nothing better than breaking your car doing a burnout... :rolf

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, I hoped it was starter and changed it also Tuesday. Unfortunately it wasnt the starter. The wierd thing is the car will run, shift normally and all once running. The damn thing just wont start. You can spin the flywheel with your finger but it will run and shift fine......Its just wierd. We will find out once boucher ford opens it up

At a rest stop in indiana I couldnt get it started but a trucker helped me jump start it. I drove it all the way home like it sits now. I just cant start it, I bet i could jump it now if I could get a push but it wont turn over on its own

Reverend Cooper
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
i wonder if the ring gear is seperating from the flywheel

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 10:31 PM
^thats exactly what my buddy said after hearing it.

I am pretty mechanically inclined and changed my starter and many other things without issue. I havent pulled a tranny before though. I am tempted to buy a chiltons and attach it myself though??

What do you think coop?

Reverend Cooper
05-22-2008, 10:32 PM
i think that if lit and twig can do it,so can you for sure

DirtyMax
05-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow, that sucks. Thankfully, the car held together to get you and the family home.

MoCkiN U
05-22-2008, 11:01 PM
got any good sources of info for doing this type of job online gang? I am really thinking about doing this myself now

I might have to buy some new jack stands and rent a torque wrench but thats about it I think other than buying a clutch and flywheel

Mr Twigbert
05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
It sounds to me like you pulled a Mr. Twigbert. :rolf

Gawd dam.. Is that how I will be remembered when I pass? Hey, remember that asshat that fried his clutch? Yeah, what was his name? Ohhh, I remember, Mr Twigbert.. Boy was he a dumbass.. :chair:

Mr Twigbert
05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
got any good sources of info for doing this type of job online gang? I am really thinking about doing this myself now

I might have to buy some new jack stands and rent a torque wrench but thats about it I think other than buying a clutch and flywheel

Lit and I changed my clutch for the first time ever a few weeks ago.. I mean we never dropped a tranny before so we were total virgins like you are now..

But, guess what..

We did it.. Oh yes, it was a mother fugga of a project.. BUT, now that we both have done it and learned the **tricks** the next time wouldn't be that bad..

It's still fresh in our minds on how to do it too.. So if you decide to do it let us know and we can help.. I remember every single nut & bolt that you have to remove..

Here is a nice write up about the job: http://mysite.verizon.net/txsnakecharmer/trans.htm

And here is the link in the Ford section of how the project went: http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27697

MoCkiN U
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
I am putting the car up in the air on monday night. I have tuesday and wednesday of this coming week off and plan to do it on those two days. I dont know what kind of schedules you guys work but I am attacking it there cause I dont get weekends off working in retail

95_Gt
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
if you do yourself,i got the 2003-2004 ford mustang workshop manuals here at work.give me a call later.

jesse

MoCkiN U
05-23-2008, 09:35 AM
K. will do bro.

I am for sure attacking it again. I have read a lot of stuff online and the right ups by twig just make it more reassuring I can do it

Gotta get taller jack stands
One more jack
Rent torque wrench
Buy clutch centering tool $10 or so

95_Gt
05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
K. will do bro.

I am for sure attacking it again. I have read a lot of stuff online and the right ups by twig just make it more reassuring I can do it

Gotta get taller jack stands
One more jack
Rent torque wrench
Buy clutch centering tool $10 or so

i have the torque wrench and clutch centering tool.just get tall heavy duty jackstands.

Yooformula
05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
so when is this modgest going on?

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-23-2008, 10:13 AM
94% of clutch kits come with a line up plug so you most likely dont need one of those, I would be willing to borrow you my good floor jack and good torque wrench if you promise to return them.
You might be better served to set the front tyres on some ramps, that usually makes the front end high enough to slide the trans out, give you enough room to work and a good feeling of the car being very secure in the air.

What side of Keno ?

MoCkiN U
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
31 & Washington. Apartments right across from jaybee. I would love to borrow anything you can lend and it will be taken care of, locked up when not in use, and returned also

I have Tuesday and Wednesday off so thats the time to pull it out. I just ordered the clutch online so just waiting for that to come in

5412 Washington Road APT 106
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-758-1211 mobile (Kelley)

Mr Twigbert
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh chit.. Kenosha.. Thats like kinda far..

If you do it when I have a day off then I can help.. I have off Sunday and the next days off are Sunday & Monday of next week..

Also, watch these videos.. The tranny is a T-56 and not what we have but it will help to give you the general idea of what your going to have to do..

Part 1 (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/DDD---03-Cobra-Spec-3-Clutch-Install-Part-1_147336.htm)

Part 2 (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/DDD---03-Cobra-Spec-3-Clutch-Install-Part-2_147337.htm)

MoCkiN U
05-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Twig, I watched those last night actually.

I think your horrible experience is going to save me some time for sure cause I can be better prepared and I have researched sooooo much now that its going to be easier for me.

Jesse is probably going to help and he is a ford tech. Anyone else wanna drink some beers and cheer along?

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-23-2008, 01:21 PM
When you guys tearing it out ?

Mr Twigbert
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh ya, get a tranny jack.. It's a mother pulling the thing out on your back and the tranny jack made it that much easier..

kornholio788
05-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I have some jackstands. They are pretty big. Two of them. Not sure if they are bigger than yours. I also have 2 sets of ramps if you need to use them. Let me know I can swing them by on monday.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Transmission jack for laying on your back clutch job=floor jack with a hunk or 2 of 2x12 on it. :D
Heres how I do most manuals and automatics in and out in 3-4 hours. :thumbsup
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/windsors03cobra/DSCN0373.jpg
Sadly I may be losing my spot :( and I have no place to put my lift, I was thinking of pouring 2 concrete pads in my backyard and putting it there. :alcoholic

MoCkiN U
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
damn. that lift would be tits to own. good luck on a new spot

dfr225
05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
that sucks. glad you got home in one piece.

Mr Twigbert
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
This is what one of our BCM'ers let me use.. It was pretty helpful..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/39100-39199/39178.gif

SpdRcrZ
05-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Its just nuts and bolts...... just take your time, and double check you have everything before trying to lower it.

Windsors, I have a great place for that lift..... ;)

Rocket Power
05-24-2008, 11:42 AM
This is what one of our BCM'ers let me use.. It was pretty helpful..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/39100-39199/39178.gif

That's slick and it's only $59 on their site

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Yea that is a pretty sweet deal, never seen one like dat before.

MoCkiN U
05-24-2008, 07:06 PM
I likely have some help (jesse) for tuesday. My plan is to get the car up in the air in the morning and get the mid pipe, starter and driveshaft off by myself and then stick a jack under the tranny with a 2X12 on it and start ripping some of the harder bolts out so by the time my help gets there the worst of it will be done and we will just drain the tranny and jerk it out.

Then I can work on figuring out what in the hell broke while I wait on the clutch to come in. I ordered the Spec 2 clutch from american muscle on Friday. I am getting the flywheel and such on Tuesday but I'll wait to put any of it on till the clutch arrives to prevent corosion or rust creating another issue on that machined surface

Replacing the clutch forks and pivot stud while at it too just in case. WISH ME LUCK!!!

If I find myself stuck I know exactly where to go and WHO to call but I think I have found enough info online that I'll be good to go

MoCkiN U
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
so far so good.

I have the car waaaay up in the air on stands and had no issue pulling the starter since I did that once last week already, mid pipe came out easy as hell using the new 20" extension I got for the tranny job.

I am attacking the drive shaft next but Jesse is on his way over with a tool he says makes it cake so I'm waiting for that at the moment. Half the tranny bolts out and most of the connectors out (call to twigbert coming) but overall the job hasnt been bad so far knowing what others had issues with and preparing for that

MoCkiN U
05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
well that post was just after 6pm. I started today at 4pm and we just finished for the night at 9:30.

Tranny and everything out. Pulled the flywheel and it is indeed the ring gear that is broken. Just spins on the flywheel not to mention the flywheel itself is SERIOUSLY warped. So all is getting replaced as soon as all parts come in. Hopefully by Thursday. I would do this project again. Knowing what I did going in I save myself a HUGE hassle

Thanks to Twig & Lit, both of you helped save me a ton of time

Mr Twigbert
05-28-2008, 12:20 AM
You'll get my bill in 5-7 working days..

70 cutlass 442
05-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I would highly reccomend a good collection of long 3/8" extentions, the top bellhousing bolts are a complete b!tch to get at, i think that was the most anoying part of the whole job were thoes two bolts :fire

ponyride00
05-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Agreed the tops were the worst unless you have small hands. There was one starter bolt that was a pain on mine also.

MoCkiN U
05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
that top starter bolt was the worst of them all for sure but those 2 tranny bolts were bad too.

lit666
05-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Kelley does your number end in 1211? If so, sorry I didn't answer my phone last night. I thought u were someone else.

MoCkiN U
05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Yup^

it was a small thing but we got it minutes later. I was afraid to pull on that reverse lamp plug for fear of breaking something. I couldnt tell if it unbolted or pulled off. Jesse reached up and yanked it off while I was calling you guys.

I dont have any good carnage pictures so thats a bummer. Just a warped flywheel and a pressue plate with a nice deep blue ring around it