PDA

View Full Version : How high will gas prices go?

DynoTom
05-22-2008, 12:05 AM
We are already at record prices...How high will the new record be or have we hit it and it's going to only go down from here????

DynoTom
05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
I made a error on the poll ...the last option is for over $5 a gallon....second from the last is at $5 a gallon....

GRAMPS SS
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
they already said on CNN 6.00 by thanksgiving,,,,,NOW has CNN ever been wrong ?

Smokey1226
05-22-2008, 12:18 AM
honestly, i have a real hard time believeing we'll get to the $5.00 mark. I hope it never happens but, by then Multiple big compaines we'll be out of business and the General Public will go crazy. The Gov can step in at anytime, but we'll see how long it takes!

DynoTom
05-22-2008, 12:19 AM
they already said on CNN 6.00 by thanksgiving,,,,,NOW has CNN ever been wrong ?

Holy Sheet !

I might have to adjust some more and by a motorcycle even though I'm not a "bike person" at all....

Flicktitty
05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
i think it will hit 4.30-4.50 then kind of "plain off" then fall down to around 4.00 for the "winter" then it will be 5.50ish this time next summer.

udlose98
05-22-2008, 01:39 AM
oil itself went up nearly $5.00 a barrel just today. That's insane. If the trend keeps continuing im saying well over $5.00 regardless of the season.

Goat Roper
05-22-2008, 02:52 AM
$4.19 @ gas station on hwy 100 in hales corners I hear

JC70SS
05-22-2008, 06:14 AM
I think it will only go down. Who cares anyway. Work a few extra hrs a week.

Goat Roper
05-22-2008, 07:13 AM
I think it will only go down. Who cares anyway. Work a few extra hrs a week.

Salaried doesn't quite work that way. I work a few extra hours a week and it turns into more comp time.

At $4.19 it will now be $164 to fill up the Suburban from bone dry

Z28Roxy
05-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Not sure how high it will go, but it's going to crash. And not just drop down to $3.75ish and level off/settle. This isn't your typical gas gets $0.10-0.40 per year more expensive with the memorial day screwover.

Runup is too quick, mostly being driven by fear. As soon as demand levels off, supply goes up, and/or the dollar rebounds speculators are going to start dropping oil futures like a hot potato.

Nick
05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
the bubble will burst and we will be back in the 2 dollar range.

jbiscuit
05-22-2008, 07:51 AM
IF we do go to $5/gallon or more, I think things are going to get nuts....TONS of companies will go belly-up. The small business owner that relies on fuel in his business will get hit the hardest....IE landscaping companies, delivery services, small contractors, etc....

Z28Roxy
05-22-2008, 08:04 AM
IF we do go to $5/gallon or more, I think things are going to get nuts....TONS of companies will go belly-up. The small business owner that relies on fuel in his business will get hit the hardest....IE landscaping companies, delivery services, small contractors, etc....

It's already nearly that for diesel fuel.

jbiscuit
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
well right but even for the v8-powered work trucks and things, hitting $5/gallon is really going to hurt. Anyone that didn't go belly up already and was teetering will be done now. I just hope my cost of living raise this year will be 25% to keep me afloat.

Z28Roxy
05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
well right but even for the v8-powered work trucks and things, hitting $5/gallon is really going to hurt. Anyone that didn't go belly up already and was teetering will be done now. I just hope my cost of living raise this year will be 25% to keep me afloat.

Even though neither is a truck, both are V8s... caprice and camaro. I think it's time for a locking gas cap, at least for the caprice (22-23 gallon tank :goof)

HAMRHEAD
05-22-2008, 09:23 AM
This is nuts! If it cost $60 to fill up twice a week and someone makes $10 an hour they are looking at 14 -16 hours of their workweek (depending on the taxes they have taken out) just to pay for gas to get to work! Something needs to be done. We are fine personally but there are going to be quite a few families out there that won't be.

Cryptic
05-22-2008, 09:39 AM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/images/drevil.jpg

Cryptic
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM

I got 2% this year :banana1:

so basically with last year's inflation (4.1% ish) I am -2.1% to the rear.

Silver350
05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I dont see the price of gas getting any cheaper unless we get someone new in office that decides to try to do something to help lower prices. Get rid of all the damn tree huggers so we can stop running reformulated. Or the whole entire country starts getting off their ass and start walking or biking, or start driving smarter.

jbiscuit
05-22-2008, 09:52 AM
even driving smarter doesn't help much....Figure at $4.50 a gallon (just for arguments sake) X the roughly 13 gallons it takes to fill my wagon = $58.50 PER week just to get to work. I rarely use my wagon for errands and such anymore do to the high prices. We take Jeni's car which uses regular 87. I have cut down to basically NO unnecessary driving in the wagon so I still have a few bucks to put into the tank of the Biscayne when I take that out. Its costing me $234 a month just to get to work. :(

Z28Roxy
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I dont see the price of gas getting any cheaper unless we get someone new in office that decides to try to do something to help lower prices. Get rid of all the damn tree huggers so we can stop running reformulated. Or the whole entire country starts getting off their ass and start walking or biking, or start driving smarter.

What do we do about worldwide demand (oil is a global product) as well as the many things that aren't for automotive gasoline that oil goes to? It doesn't just get put into cars you know. There is so much stuff made with oil....

HAMRHEAD
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
They need to take full advantage of Alaska!

Z28Roxy
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
They need to take full advantage of Alaska!

I'm all for it but Alaska is a smoke screen. There isn't much oil there that isn't already being drilled.

We need to start working on shale oil in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming (the US has far more shale oil than Saudi Arabia has crude) as well as biogas (from sugar, not corn) and biodiesel.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I dont really think more oil will lower the price, and extracting oil from that shale is not cheap or efficient.
I think it will go as high as people are willing to pay, oil demand rises daily and everything we use has oil in it or oil was used to grow/harvest it.

I believe $10 a gallon for low test in 4-8 years if the dollar remains lows and trouble in the mideast continues. (has there ever not been trouble in the mideast ?)
That peak oil wacko was on TV yesterday talking about $12 a gallon, tho I do not know when he thought prices would be that high.
I do not think the oil co's are making gross overall profits when you look at the amount of product they move but wonder if the fact that the 3 or 5 big oil co's have killed or bought up all the competition making the big players a sort of monopoly. We use to have a ton more brands of gas in the 80's when gas was "cheap" and oil co's were dying on the vine.

Cryptic
05-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm all for it but Alaska is a smoke screen. There isn't much oil there that isn't already being drilled.

We need to start working on shale oil in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming (the US has far more shale oil than Saudi Arabia has crude) as well as biogas (from sugar, not corn) and biodiesel.

Not a slam on you, but when statements are made like this... post up a link that supports it. Otherwise it's all propaganda.

Flicktitty
05-22-2008, 10:25 AM
i heard on Fox last night them talking about the cost of a Barrel of oil could be over $200 in 2 years making gas prices $7.00/gal.

They also said something about price per barrel being double what it was one year ago and 5 times more then when bush started in office.

Karps TA
05-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I do not think the oil co's are making gross overall profits when you look at the amount of product they move but wonder if the fact that the 3 or 5 big oil co's have killed or bought up all the competition making the big players a sort of monopoly. We use to have a ton more brands of gas in the 80's when gas was "cheap" and oil co's were dying on the vine.

It's funny govt allowed Exoon and Mobile to merge within a years time back in 98-99. They used the fact that they were losing money because oil prices were so low then. They needed to combine to stay competitive.

Some interesting comments and such on the merger on this link
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0011833

Does that mean we can split them up now?

And why is it that 2 large oil companies could get regualtory approval to combine within a year, but 2 sat radio companies that are using the same argument but are providing a luxury item have taken close to 2 years without any approval.

Cryptic
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
gotta grease the track ;)

Z28Roxy
05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Not a slam on you, but when statements are made like this... post up a link that supports it. Otherwise it's all propaganda.

Alaska:

A 1998 United States Geological Survey (USGS) study indicated at least 4.3 billion (95% probability) and possibly as much as 11.8 billion (5% probability) barrels (0.9 to 2.5 km³) of technically recoverable oil exists in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge 1002 area, with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels (1.7 km³)

The US uses about 20 million barrels a day. So that's about a year's worth if it was our only source of oil.

Oil shale:

The Green River Formation contains the largest oil shale deposits in the world. The 213 billion tons of oil shale contain an estimated 2.38 x 1011m3 (1.5 trillion US barrels) of shale oil.

About 205 year's worth if it was our only source of oil :wow

from: http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5294/pdf/sir5294_508.pdf

JC70SS
05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Not sure how high it will go, but it's going to crash. And not just drop down to $3.75ish and level off/settle. This isn't your typical gas gets $0.10-0.40 per year more expensive with the memorial day screwover.

Runup is too quick, mostly being driven by fear. As soon as demand levels off, supply goes up, and/or the dollar rebounds speculators are going to start dropping oil futures like a hot potato.

Yep....First kill the speculators. It is all mindgames

Mr. Brett
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Oil shale is a lot more expensive to process and refine, though. It would solve our dependency issues, but the cost savings over conventional crude would be minimal if any. But don't get me wrong, I'd feel a hell of a lot better paying $4+ for a gallon of gas if it was extracted, processed and refined in the U.S. as opposed to the middle east. Those primitive fanatics can eat my ass.

Cryptic
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Nice work Roxy :thumbsup

Again I meant it as a general-everyone-should-do, because their is a lot of things just said and not supported lately. Especially in gas/oil/politics threads.

Flicktitty
05-22-2008, 12:11 PM
if anyone is looking for a Honda Insight there is only 10 on all of Autotrader.... :(

Syclone0044
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM

I agree with everything you said, except for the dollar rebounding. I don't think that's going to happen. Government spending is out of control and nobody gives a f**k. I'm voting for the only guy serious about cutting spending (Ron Paul) but not many others seem to be interested.

The real source of high prices is, and will always be, TOO MANY CONSUMERS. Caused by too many people reproducing themselves in the form of children. It's so obvious, but why don't you ever hear anyone talk about that?

Prince Valiant
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
The reason I don't think gas will get a whole lot more expensive than it is currently is that in years past people always said "Well, don't care what the cost of gas is...we're still going up north/roadtrip/flying/whatever..."

NOW, however, I don't hear this...many people ARE changing plans. airline tickets have gone up rather sharply, people are riding public transportation more frequently, etc...don't know about you, but I even notice more people driving slower on the hwy trying to get every last mpg out of their rides. I've never seen so many SUV's on front lawns on good hope/etc for sale.

Hell, I've never seen so many mid 80's motorcylces broken down on the side of the road :goof

But imo, this will be the first time in a long time were we see not a tiny, but a significant decrease in the amount of fuel consumed.

jbiscuit
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
this is scary reading.....prices should be around $12-15/gallon around 2010+. This analyst says that we will be in a severe economic slide thanks to oil.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080521145247.aspx

dfr225
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
hope it doesn't get close to $5, this country will go crazy.

michelle
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm just glad my new job is 6.9 miles away from home and I no longer have to drive to Whitewater. Beats my previous 19 mile drive (one way) to work and coming home each weekend from Whitewater to New Berlin. I also like that everything I need is a couple miles away. When I lived with my parents in Hubertus, the grocery store was a couple miles away, but you had to go into the Falls to go to other stores or drive to Mayfair/Brookfield to do other shopping.

Prince Valiant
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
this is scary reading.....prices should be around $12-15/gallon around 2010+. This analyst says that we will be in a severe economic slide thanks to oil.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080521145247.aspxI'd lump articles like that in with the "half-the US will be underwater in 15 years" type predictions too...

Here I think is a more realistic view imo:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/05/22/ccoil122.xml

Further argues for a "bubble burst" sometime soon (within 8 months or so). I like how it graphs surpluses and non-opec oil production numbers.

It's interesting how our own graph shows the emotion that goes into "futures market" when dealing with commodities...see how most have a dire view of the issue?

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-22-2008, 03:41 PM
It did seem like gasoline was undervalued for along time.

Yooformula
05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I just had to fill up with $4.39 for premium and $4.19 for regular. A motorcycle sounds really good right now in addition to garaging my car for the summer. $56 to fill up 12.6 gallons and only got 188 miles on a full tank.

Prince Valiant
05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
BTW...alaska is NOT a "smokescreen". There is MUCH debate on the amount ANWR could supply, but keep in mind, that when they FIRST discovered oil in Alaska, evnviro's THEN said it'd only be "a few months supply" (still pumping strong over 40 years starting construction/31 years of pumping).

Studies of the ANWR coastal plain indicate it may contain between 6 and 16 billion barrels of recoverable oil (between 11.6 and 31.5 billion barrels in-place). With enhanced recovery technology, ANWR oil could provide an additional 30 to 50 years of reliable supply. Natural gas, produced with the oil, could be reinjected or added to a new gas pipeline originating in Prudhoe Bay.

HAMRHEAD
05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I think the US as a whole has alot more oil to offer than the enviro freaks want us to know about. How dare we be independent when it comes to oil :fire

88Nightmare
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
so what is the REAL reason why the US can't go after its own oil elsewhere in the country aside from whats already coming out of northern alaska? we were able to drill and run an amazing pipeline back in the 70's for it, but we can't do it now?

Goat Roper
05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
so what is the REAL reason why the US can't go after its own oil elsewhere in the country aside from whats already coming out of northern alaska? we were able to drill and run an amazing pipeline back in the 70's for it, but we can't do it now?

Because they have no weapons of mass destruction for us to go in and get. As soon as South Dakota's chemical arms plants are discovered we will be in there quick. :rolf

88Nightmare
05-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I never did trust south dakota......

bastards

88Nightmare
05-22-2008, 04:29 PM
this website makes me sad:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mg_tt_usw.htm

Goat Roper
05-22-2008, 05:05 PM
this website makes me sad:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mg_tt_usw.htm

I remember that span in '98 and '99 well. I think that was around the time I paid 69 cents a gallon in South Carolina.

ND4SPD
05-22-2008, 09:10 PM

There is a mindset in congress to push alternative fuels... so, they want high gas prices to make thing soooooo painful, that people will be up in arms screaming for hybrids and electric vehicles. Apparently the Sierra Club has a lot of say in Washington.

Karps TA
05-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Oil companies were losing money back when oil was cheap. So don't think they are clamoring for domestic drilling. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tree hugging lobbyists aren't being supported by oil companies thru some sort of funding. They may be saying publicly "let us drill here" but for some reason I just can't trust that as being honest. For every dollar spent saying yes, I'm betting they are spending 2-3 on no.

DynoTom
05-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I just bought 5 qts of oil for a oil change on my turbo coupe tonight and I was shocked to see every brand of natural oil was over 3 bucks a quart !

Wow !

GRAMPS SS
05-22-2008, 09:40 PM
I JUST PAID 12.00 for an oil change on my gas guzzeler....

Flicktitty
05-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I just bought 5 qts of oil for a oil change on my turbo coupe tonight and I was shocked to see every brand of natural oil was over 3 bucks a quart !

Wow !

i get that cheap ass $1.70/Qt oil for my truck. it's too exspensive for as fast as it goes through it.

LIL EVO
05-23-2008, 12:16 AM
I just paid 4.70 a gal in Chicago the other day for super.

hrsp
05-23-2008, 12:25 AM
yeah moped time has come...

Poncho
05-23-2008, 07:02 AM
This is all bullshit. I'm only 25, and I remember paying .93/gallon to fill up my Camaro, and it wasn't even that long ago

Moparjim
05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Exactly - theres far more oil in the shale, on GOVERNMENT OWNED land than in the entire middle east. Not to mention oil sands in Canada, and actual oil in this country. The shale alledgedly has not been utilized since it is obviously a more cost intensive process to get it out. However, last I really read up on it a few years ago was being explored and several major oil companies were given small parcels to start up smaller scale test facilities to test various techniques for getting it out. At that time even it was getting close to making economic sense, like when oil was $28 a barrel it was going to take roughly that cost to get it out. Well at $135 a barrel I would think at this point that shale is EXTREMELY cost effective now...

P.S. for those that really want to get riled up - theres a Saudi Arabian Viper guy on Viper Alley, he recently posted that 91 octane gasoine is something like a whopping $0.16 a liter over there....

88Nightmare
05-23-2008, 08:31 PM
P.S. for those that really want to get riled up - theres a Saudi Arabian Viper guy on Viper Alley, he recently posted that 91 octane gasoine is something like a whopping $0.16 a liter over there....

**** that guy

Rocket Power
05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
This is all bullshit. I'm only 25, and I remember paying .93/gallon to fill up my Camaro, and it wasn't even that long ago

I paid .67 when I got my license in the late 80's

W1CK3D SAINT
05-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I remember back in the day when my mom would b*tch when gas broke $1 a gallon... I wish I was driving back then. It's sad when it gets to the point where I would be ecstatic to pay $3 for 87 octane.

77thor
05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally I voted $4.50/gal.....
But now I'm thinking over $5.00

Yooformula
05-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I remember filling up with premium for $.97 a gallon and having my old man yell at me for wasting money on premium gas...lol

d4rk13l4de
05-24-2008, 01:02 PM
you guys think gas prices are bad there!!! HAHAHAHA in rural parts of alaska it is 8.00 a gallon for regular!!!!!!!! Alaska is the Nations highest average price per gallon

pOrk
05-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Thats what you get for living in the middle of no where :)

nismodave
05-26-2008, 11:24 AM
It will hit 10 bucks a gallon by end of next year.

Rocket Power
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
If it does I'll have to get a job closer to home. Cuz it'll cost me nearly $40/day to get to work. Funk dat

LIZMO
05-26-2008, 11:24 PM
if it gets 10 dollars a gallon, im quitting my jobs and being a bum who lives with mom :rolf :rolf:rolf

VroomPshhTsi
05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_prices

says that it usually drops off after memorial day... we'll see

GRAMPS SS
05-29-2008, 10:39 PM
if it gets 10 dollars a gallon, im quitting my jobs and being a bum who lives with mom :rolf :rolf:rolf

you going to go live with beagzs.....????? :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf

sorry beagz...she opened the door :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
05-29-2008, 11:41 PM
you guys think gas prices are bad there!!! HAHAHAHA in rural parts of alaska it is 8.00 a gallon for regular!!!!!!!! Alaska is the Nations highest average price per gallon

thats funny...just talked with my buddy in Alaska....from the town of Wasilla...says the highest it has been is 4.00...and it's dropping....

Smokey1226
05-29-2008, 11:42 PM
you going to go live with beagzs.....????? :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf

sorry beagz...she opened the door :thumbsup

Thats not the only thing she opened......

Nick I <3 joo mang

LIZMO
05-29-2008, 11:49 PM
no! not beagle. i said my mom! wayne, you would like her :rolf:rolf:rolf

GRAMPS SS
05-29-2008, 11:52 PM
^^^^yea she'd be about my age :) :goof :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Smokey1226
05-29-2008, 11:54 PM
^^^^yea she'd be about my age :) :goof :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

If so, then that would mean there are 2 Dynosours left alive?!?!?!? :rolf

LIZMO
05-30-2008, 01:28 AM
HAHAHA goodone.
shes a couple years younger than you, i think. idk.

Flicktitty
05-30-2008, 01:31 AM
oh jeebus...

oh a good thing..

i heard Oil Closed for $4 LESS per/ Barrel today! :D

LIZMO
05-30-2008, 01:38 AM
so.... are gas prices gonna go down?! (prob like 4 cents.. whopdeedoo)

Smokey1226
05-30-2008, 10:15 AM
so.... are gas prices gonna go down?! (prob like 4 cents.. whopdeedoo)

exactly, ours dropped about 4cents and diesel about 8cents. Hopefully it will continue to drop, because the more the Crude oil prices weakens the higher the Stock commodities stengthens....which is excellent for me because of my stocks and mutal funds.

forest
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I filled up at 4.03 per gallon on the north side 2 days ago

GRAMPS SS
05-30-2008, 01:36 PM
early this morning.......brown deer rd and 107th... filled up...3.96