PDA

View Full Version : Canon camera recall, read if you ever owned one.

wikked
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
*note*
Yea this is old, but there is NO time limit on this.

Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated Oct.31, 2006)

It has come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor used in certain Canon digital cameras and digital video camcorders may cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

Affected products:
- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)
*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

Malfunction:
It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor.

Also, you may be offered a new camera for a small amount more.

Like this guy:

I called Canon about my S400. They said it was affected by the recall.
I had a choice of either shipping it in to get fixed (their expense for shipping too) or I could get a new Canon SD1000 for $100 + $10 shipping.
Since I was already in the market for a new point & shoot (and ready to throw out my S400), I opted for the SD1000.
It's technically a refurb, but they said it's only classified as that since it was returned old stock. None of the units they're giving out were ever broken/repaired.
I'll have it by Friday. woot.

You also get to keep the battery/memory card/etc. All they want back is the camera itself.

Canon's phone number is: 1-800-OK-CANON
Just mention the CCD recall if you are affected.

Nix
05-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I've got a Cannon ZR85 Camcorder, the wife bought it for me for Christmas about 3-4 years ago and have yet to have any problems with it. Also now that I have opened my big mouth it will blow up next time I use it probably kill me in the process. :thumbsup

Cryptic
05-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I have a ton of canon stuff... but nothing listed.
Way to go Canon, standing behind your products!

My Olympus (C2100UZ) broke couple years back and they wanted a couple hundred for a tiny plastic piece. Needless to say I haven't bought another Olympus