PDA

View Full Version : Why do some old people hate old cars?

jbiscuit
05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
:rolf

Most old people go ape-shit over my car....all the ones that talk to me either had a Biscayne, drove a Biscayne, had a cousin with a Biscayne...you get the picture. You would think that people that owned these cars back when they were new, would have an attraction to them. I mean I had a 1990 Honda Accord 2-door back in college that I LOVED. Best car I ever owned honestly. I STILL do double takes on super clean, rust-free ones.

At the golf course yesterday, I hear this old guy (probably 65) cursing this 1961 Impala with somewhat loud exhaust pulling out of the lot..."all that loud exhaust crap....yadda yadda yadda...." I just was surprised to hear him upset about it??? Maybe he was mad that it wasn't stock? Doesn't like the sound of flowmasters? Or billet wheels?

Anyone else run into this? MOST old guys LOVE old cars...EVEN if they aren't "car guys."

wikked
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Probably the same guy that has one rotting in his backyard that he'll never ever sell, and just let rot forever.

nismodave
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Thats a rare occurence IMO.

When I had my Chevelle, everyone thought it was cool.

I miss that car, but not the headaches.

jbiscuit
05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I hear ya on the headaches. Mine has been fighting me this year so far.

nismodave
05-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Well work out all the bugs before you sell it to me.:D

jbiscuit
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
ha ha ha ha......no I understand why people let these cars become dust collectors though! It needs 13 hours of work for 20 minutes of drive time, :rolf

Prince Valiant
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I've come across older people who dislike old cars...one of Meg's clients will go on rants that I don't entirely disagree with.

Basically it boils down to the "They don't make them like they used too....they just make 'em better" type guys(This is true too...compare a ride in my Coronet which drives great for an old car to the E320 I drove this weekend and it's laughable). However, they don't get the nostalgia factor, and have little use for it.

They tend to be cranky as well, lol.

LEWETHETIGER73
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Who cares what they think as long as you have fun!! Long live loud cars and loud burnouts!!

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-23-2008, 10:17 AM
They associate loud cars with fast and speeding cars and death, dying and killing IMO.