PDA

View Full Version : All Toyota Tacomas being recalled !

DynoTom
05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
All toyota tacomas being recalled from 1995 present. Toyota is buyin them back because the frames are rotting through and buckling. this is off another site.

Ok...so i work at A-Reliable, we were bought out last year by LKQ which is world wide and well known in the automotive market. We were contacted by Toyota about a week ago and they are paying us 49.9 million dollars to do this for them, they are buying us all sorts of new equipment and supplies to get them this done as soon as possible and as fast and quietly as possible. I just had to share!

Toyota has chosen our company to do the procedures, Toyota has recalled every Tacoma produced from 1995 til present date, they are buying back the trucks from dealers, private owners, auto rebuilders, etc and destroying all of them. They are trying to keep this as quiet as possible, we will be receiving over 125,000 of these truck which will be spread over the entire US to all of the other LKQ yards and our included, we started getting a few in today, there are expected to be about 10,000 coming to our yard and we have 24 hours of the drop of date, to photograph them, drain them, crush them and photograph them again.

They are all being recalled, 4x2's 4x4's, extended cabs, regular cabs, all engine sizes, etc...the frame are rusting out completely on all of them, you can contact you local dealer about having
Toyota buy your truck back for what we have heard is a very decent fair market value for helping in getting them off the road.

Our yard manager picked the first one up to place it in the crusher and it buckled under its own weight...to show you guys who own these or know people still driving them what happens to them and why they are recalling them:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8885/p5150007av0.jpg

DynoTom
05-18-2008, 04:42 PM
This was pulled from a Toyota Blog:
March 07, 2008

Living Up to Our Committment

Rust, as they say, never sleeps. It certainly never sleeps in the states where road salt is in heavy use, and we’ve recently become aware of additional evidence of that fact.

We’ve received reports that on a small number of model-year 1995 to 2000 Tacomas, excessive corrosion of the frame has caused perforation of the metal. The reason for this, it appears, is that the frames of some of the 813,000 vehicles built during this time-frame may not have adequate corrosion protection.

As a result, when they’re exposed to severe environmental conditions, especially in states where salt is used for the de-icing of roads, these frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure – and in this case, these trucks are from eight to 13 years old.

Because of our oft-stated commitment to standing behind our products, we’re extending the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation, for corrosion damage that results in perforation of the vehicle’s frame material. Owners of these Tacomas need not be the original owners. Even if you bought your Tacoma second- or third-hand, it’s covered by this extended warranty.

Here’s how this will work: Starting in the middle of March and continuing over a period of time, owners of 1995-2000 Tacomas will be sent letters informing them about this issue. If you find rust perforation on your vehicle, have your truck inspected by a Toyota dealer.

If frame corrosion damage is confirmed by an inspection at a Toyota dealership, at Toyota's option, we will either repair the vehicle or repurchase it. No matter the vehicle’s actual condition, it will be valued as a vehicle in excellent condition. If the inspection reveals no rust perforation, the 15-year warranty will remain in force.

This is worth underscoring: This is not a recall. Rather, it’s an example of our commitment to the durability of our products and to our owners. These are older trucks and rust is a fact of life, especially where road salt is used, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is that we take care of our owners. We just thought you should know that.

- Mike Michels, Corporate Communications

nismodave
05-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Toyota Quality.

Russ Jerome
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Just go to Toyota's site for the info:

http://blogs.toyota.com/

84hurst
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
wow, that's quite an effort they're making. EVERY tacoma? they're quality has gone down lately too. Not sounding as good as they used to....

Karps TA
05-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Funny how I never heard this in the national media. If this was a GM/Ford/Dodge recall it would be the lead story on the national news.

slickwilly
05-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Funny how I never heard this in the national media. If this was a GM/Ford/Dodge recall it would be the lead story on the national news.
Without a doubt.

Breecher_7
05-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Hahahahaha,

Heres that big "**** You" to toyota ive been waiting for.

USMARINE1108
05-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh man, that's not gonna buff out! hahaha.

88Nightmare
05-18-2008, 06:29 PM
awaiting coops entry to this thread. let the nut swinging begin!

Reverend Cooper
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
toyota will soon be number 1 in the states for auto manufacturing. and its 95-2000. maybe its something GM shoulve dont with their gas tank issues on all those trucks instead of killing people

Breecher_7
05-18-2008, 06:37 PM
awaiting coops entry to this thread. let the nut swinging begin!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/antoninodamato/icon_nutswing.gif

:thumbsup

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
05-18-2008, 06:38 PM
A guy I work with has a 1995 Tacoma and Toyota offered to give him 150% of current value which equals to $11,000. Nice little profit if you ask me

Breecher_7
05-18-2008, 06:40 PM
A guy I work with has a 1995 Tacoma and Toyota offered to give him 150% of current value which equals to $11,000. Nice little profit if you ask me

Im gonna try to buy some junkers and sell them back to toyota... :thumbsup

USMARINE1108
05-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Im gonna try to buy some junkers and sell them back to toyota... :thumbsup

I've got a 30 minute head start on you!

sloLs1
05-18-2008, 06:58 PM
yea but atleast their doing something about it.... if it were one of the big three, they would have done nothing! there are soo many "service bulletins" on sooo many gm and ford cars that most of them should be recalls.....

im not taking sides... just stating a fact

lasttimearound
05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
for sure jake. yes, they had some inferior metals and shit, but they are doing something about it... no one is making them. look at all the f'd up shit that the big american companies had going on and didnt do anything about it.

Reverend Cooper
05-18-2008, 07:17 PM
finally a few reasonable people.toyota makes lots of money,if they feel like they need to do this for customer goodwill and retention i guess thats up to them,i will gurantee admitting to and taking care of the issue will not hurt their sales in the long run

88Nightmare
05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
no silverado I ever owned rusted out to the point of being unsafe, exploded and killed me, or anything like that. Don't have one single complaint out of the 5 silverados I've had and the 3 my brother has had

GTSLOW
05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Coop is a hard head plain and simple.

formul8
05-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Toyota Quality.

That is a quality action, if you ask me.

Chrysler has a severe problem with Caravan/Town&Country/Voyager models from 1996-2000 for strut towers that rust all the way through and wind up resting on the cowl and base of the windshield. I have seen this on them with as little as 60K miles on the odo. All it takes is a rusted tower and one good pot hole and you can lose control of the steering.

What's Chrysler's response?

"Vehicle is out of warranty, so you are S.O.L."

Nothing, nada, zilch.

IMHO, this is a tremendous response from Toyota. Especially since owners of these trucks tend to drive the hell out of them.

GTSLOW
05-18-2008, 07:45 PM
So where will toyota draw the line? Meaning there's probably going to be a ton of people going out and buying taco's right now. All sales after the date of recall not being bought back?

penji04
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Toyota has had this problem forever the only big surprise it that there buying some of them back. I had an 84 and a 91 truck with frames rusted through and its an easy fix. I wouldn't trade in my 98 taco for the money or another vehicle its been to good to me and with 184k on it it shows no signs of stopping. the warranty holds up for a few more years for me so ill run my truck till the end.

Russ Jerome
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Chrysler has a severe problem with Caravan/Town&Country/Voyager models from 1996-2000 for strut towers that rust all the way through and wind up resting on the cowl and base of the windshield. I have seen this on them with as little as 60K miles on the odo. All it takes is a rusted tower and one good pot hole and you can lose control of the steering.

My wifes 1999's left front strut is a pot hole away from going, now that
you mention it! One day Im under the hood and my son says "hey is that
suppose to be there?" Thing is rotted bad, now shows 100k miles.

How about all those early 604 Chrysler FWD trannies with diff pins that
grenade the complete trans case? Class action law suits didnt stop Mopar
from selling millions more.

About every Ford model with electrical systems overloaded to the point
of causing elec fires in main harness'. They only recal the worst ones.

How about those GM V-6 intake and head gaskets that desinigrate from
the Dexcool that eats them up at 40k miles?

GMs early 90s RWD ABS system that goes into defeat mode if brake
peddle is lifted momentarily, causes lockup when re applied and killed
a lot of cops driving 9C1 cars from 93-95.

You could go on and on, Toyota would apear to be stepping up in my
opinon. No way Chevy would do that if all there 1500's started going.

formul8
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, GM and their crappy DEXCOOL that would turn to jelly and clog up the heater core causing it to leak all over the interior...

The Ford vehicles with that ignition tumbler problem that would cause them to catch fire just sitting there.

The Dodge Dakotas and Durangos with the el-cheapo ball joints that would fail without notice.

Chevy/GMC trucks and their notorious excessive steering component wear.

87-93 5.0 Mustangs and their horrible ego inflation syndrome....

Ford and their Pinto's with their refusal to implement a $.06 bolt fix to prevent fuel tank ruptures that "cost more to fix than to just pay out death claims"...

The list goes on and on...

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 09:41 AM
You could go on and on, Toyota would apear to be stepping up in my
opinon. No way Chevy would do that if all there 1500's started going.

With as long as silverados have been on the road, I have yet to see or hear about a silverado taco

Cryptic
05-19-2008, 09:52 AM
With as long as silverados have been on the road, I have yet to see or hear about a silverado taco

I have no idea what you are trying to say :confused

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
people are sayin GM wouldnt have a recall like this, and im sayin GM wouldnt have a problem like this

Russ Jerome
05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
and im sayin GM wouldnt have a problem like this

Since TRW and a few other companies make all the Hydroforming
equipment to make all Jap and domestic water molded frames used
hear and around the world I doubt anything but time will tell.

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
1984 Silverado 3500 dually = 170k miles, no frame problems
1994 Silverado 1500 4x4 = 148k miles, no frame problems
1995 Silverado 2500 diesel = 161k miles, no frame problems
2002 Silverado Z71 = 60k miles, no frame problems
2006 Silverado 1500 4x4 = currently 47k miles, no frame problems

I don't anticipate any frame problems either, given the 1994 and 1995 didn't have any, and the frames were extremely similar (GMT800 chassis). People with double or triple the mileage on the same year truck as I currently own are not reporting any problems like this at all.

Now the real question is... If the Tacoma was having problems like this, who's to say the Tundras (and the new ones) won't?

Flicktitty
05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
people are sayin GM wouldnt have a recall like this, and im sayin GM wouldnt have a problem like this

what other probelms have they had?

And you can't deny that even IF GM DID have this problem they wouldn't do shit about it. same could be said with ford and Dodge. Hell look back to the firestone probelm some years back.

Atleast Toyota is making this problem "RIGHT" and not just ******* over the people that have them.

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
firestone problem was with ford. but I know what you are getting at, nick. I'm just saying, frames going bad..... thats a pretty serious issue.

The largest problem I could ever recall was GM's dexcool issue primarily on the 3.1/3.4 V6's. Not THAT big of a problem. A few gaskets and some hours of labor, fixed! I did a gasket replacement on a car. I'd say after the gasket kit, coolant for a complete flush, and an oil change, I was about $100 bucks invested. Never did it before so I'd say total labor might have been 5 or 6 hours counting the oil change and coolant flush. Not bad at all.

Did everyone forget the exploding gas tanks on the 90's crown vic squad cars that killed quite a few police officers?

Flicktitty
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
i did a quick google search at GM recalls. theres alot of recalls but the majority is for stupid piddly shit.

But i know of alot of cars/trucks that frames look like swiss cheese.

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
well, having recalls and having problems are two totally different things.

I don't think the firestone/ford explorer issue was ever officially a recall. maybe it was, idk. GM's dexcool snaffu was never a recall. Fords exploding gas tanks on the crown vics or pintos wasnt a recall. the camshaft issue on the V8 SHO's was never a recall even though EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had the problem

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
when I was working with stanman bob for a little while, I was working in the department that would check and sort valve retainers for all different companies, GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Harley, Chrysler, John Deere, you name it. I imagine most companies, once receiving the valve retainers, would also run their own checks on them before using them. GM would send back the most, it seemed, as rejects. Seemed like they caught more rejects then other companies did.

formul8
05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Recalls are for safety issues, not mechanical defects. Those are called "Technical Service Bulletins" and are never publiscised. They are for when a vehicle has that specific problem and you ***** loud enough, they have a recognized document about the problem through the manufacturer and sometimes will fix it under goodwill.

I have seen a few Silverados that are sagging in the middle, but I suspect those trucks were used heavily and hauled more than they were rated for.

Honda did this with the 1998-2002 V6 Accords and Acuras that had grenading transmissions at 60-80K miles. Plus, they replaced the transmissions with out having to threaten them.

GM? I have heard people with GTO's and Corvettes that have had legitamate problems with LS2's and heavy oil consumption and GM tries hard to wiggle out of it.

The Japanese companies are concerned with their long term reputation. The American companies are concerned with their top executives paychecks and prices of their stock, not the customer.

Flicktitty
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I have seen a few Silverados that are sagging in the middle, but I suspect those trucks were used heavily and hauled more than they were rated for.

True. one of my buddies has a 90? Chevy 1500 Shortbed 2WD that is saggin like a 80 year old women.

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I have yet to see that. I've seen the 80's crew cab long beds still goin flawlessly, much like my 1984 did

CobraSnake
05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
wow lots of reading. I read it all and I see that you guys are happy with the fact that toyota is correcting this matter. I see that you guys said that GM and Ford would have never done the same thing. Well I do think toyota is being extra nice to do this but, I believe it will bite them in the ass. It is way more expensive to do this then to tell the customer's to go **** themself's. Granted yes that is not a good practice and they will probably lose business because of it. But, they won't lose enough business to make their business go out of business. Like let me ask you guys this. Now that toyota is being so nice and focusing on their customer service by correcting this problem. Are you going to only buy from toyota now??? I don't think so. This isn't really going to sway you towards toyota more then you were already swayed so whats the difference?

Mark

formul8
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
^^^ And you want to know why Toyota will be the largest auto manufacturer in the world as the big 3 lose market share?

Because the big three ignore their problems and hope they just go away.

Flicktitty
05-19-2008, 01:42 PM
^^^ And you want to know why Toyota will be the largest auto manufacturer in the world as the big 3 lose market share?

Because the big three ignore their problems and hope they just go away.

troof.

hell the camry outsold the Silverado

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/19/the-end-is-nigh-camry-outsold-silverado-in-april-gunning-for/

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 01:43 PM
mark said it well. How many people are going to run out of the door and go buy a Yota now? Everyone has horror stories about a brand, whether it be toyota, GM, Ford, Dodge.... whatever. A lot of it comes down the specific dealership too. Any problems I had with my Silverado, my dealership addressed and took care of IMMEDIATELY. They were even fixing stuff for me outside of my warranty. There are so many factors to customer service from the auto makers. If one dealer tells you to go **** yourself when you want some help for your car, then go to another dealer. Dealers are all private businesses anyway and are only using the manufacturers name. Don Jacobs Toyota isn't actually the Toyota corporation. I will admit its a good move on Toyotas part to recall these vehicles, I just didn't think Toyota would have such a serious problem as extreme frame rot

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
troof.

hell the camry outsold the Silverado

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/19/the-end-is-nigh-camry-outsold-silverado-in-april-gunning-for/

how can you even compare the two in sales? Especially with the fuel prices right now, that doesn't surprise me one bit. I bet the Ford Focus has outsold the new Tundra :rolleyes:

Prince Valiant
05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Seems like it's smart marketing on their part...stuff like this will play well to current owners, sure...but also to owners of other makes who'll be looking to replace their vehicles in the future. It's expensive, for sure, but it'll "cement" their reputation for standing behind their product for MANY.

True, for all their other faults, it is true that the big three have done a great job of rust protection (aside from the aformentioned strut tower rust...something that also occurs on rear shock towers of P-body cars too).

formul8
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
how can you even compare the two in sales? Especially with the fuel prices right now, that doesn't surprise me one bit. I bet the Ford Focus has outsold the new Tundra :rolleyes:

I agree there. Cars and trucks are two different categories. Not too many Camry's are sold to fleets, but are bought by the public.

The dealerships are what's killing the big three the most.

All the American cars I have owned- the dealership experience was not that great.

All the import cars I have owned, with Audi sales & service being the best- great.

Now, Imagine a person who just drops $100K+ on a new ZR1 and being treated like a Cobalt buyer? Then, has to get the car serviced and treated the same way?

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 03:45 PM
not every dealership is the same. There is a reason why I keep returning to the same chevy dealership to purchase my trucks.....

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
well, having recalls and having problems are two totally different things.

I don't think the firestone/ford explorer issue was ever officially a recall. maybe it was, idk. GM's dexcool snaffu was never a recall. Fords exploding gas tanks on the crown vics or pintos wasnt a recall. the camshaft issue on the V8 SHO's was never a recall even though EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had the problem

dood see this is where your head is up your ass and you have no clue wtf your talking about. Gm has recalls for steel wheels seperating from the cars,how about the illustrius quad four pos,gas tanks that killed more on the GM trucks then for chrysler and toyota put together,pintos that blew the **** up,every single older mopar that the trunks rotted out on and the rear leaf springs would come apart, how about the lt1 old school camaros that every rear frame rail needs repl on. how about 94 on up vortech s10 trucks that the cam gears come loose on,w bodies that ever rear calliper freezes up on Gm does shit for its customers and you dumbass' still by the mother****ers how stupid is that. clips for brake lines that would rub through how about all the 5.3 piston knock that my neighbor just got a letter on that from gm that says its ok and normal,and how about all the paint delamination issues that GM gave the big fvck you on, what Toyota is doing is right and noble plain and simple,all intake gaskets on tahoe,yukons that leak every 30000 miles just like the malibu 3.1 3.4 intake gaskets, fuel inj that stick on suburbans yukons and ck trucks nice touch, gaskets were redesigned by felpro do you think gm would recall it and fix it right no. airbag recalls on trailblazers. **** 93-95 corollas got a bad name due to delco alternators and batteries that took a shit in 30k toyota took care of alot of those outta warranty where GM again said fvck you, when toyota repl. them under warranty they put on the nippendenso's and never again had an issue.
If you want i will give you more info

STANMAN
05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
How about the first 5000 or so V8 Tacoma's that the cams seperated on? They bought all those back to.

But then again, so did Mazda (who is owned by FORD mind you) with the RX8 when it first came out. Not due to any real problem mind you, but because it wasn't putting out the advertised HP. So, American companies do it also, you just don't see them patting themselves on the back about it.

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
first off your wrong it was the new tundra 5.7 no they didnt by them back, the customers recieved a brand new long blocks. advertised horsepower is false advertising if it is totally inaccurate hence a lawsuit thats why they did it bob. you cant pat yourself on the back for that, thats why they dont. Toyota has no legal recourse on these tacomas as they are all well out of rust and perforation warranty they owe the customer NOTHING. but yet they are standing behind then 15 years later, you will NEVER and i mean NEVER see any of the big 3 do that.

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 11:33 PM
mark said it well. How many people are going to run out of the door and go buy a Yota now? Everyone has horror stories about a brand, whether it be toyota, GM, Ford, Dodge.... whatever. A lot of it comes down the specific dealership too. Any problems I had with my Silverado, my dealership addressed and took care of IMMEDIATELY. They were even fixing stuff for me outside of my warranty. There are so many factors to customer service from the auto makers. If one dealer tells you to go **** yourself when you want some help for your car, then go to another dealer. Dealers are all private businesses anyway and are only using the manufacturers name. Don Jacobs Toyota isn't actually the Toyota corporation. I will admit its a good move on Toyotas part to recall these vehicles, I just didn't think Toyota would have such a serious problem as extreme frame rot

I bet there will be a lot of people buying them now,esp. previous owners and like valiant said new owners that are looking for a corp. that stands behind their product long after the warraty is over

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 11:34 PM
oh yeah and i almost for got all the 5,4 and 4,6 3v ford motors that have either spark plugs that fall out and ruin the threads in the cylinder head on the trucks and car motors. Way to go Ford

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
intake gaskets leakinging on yukons and tahoes at 30k? Those would have the 5.3L engine, as does my truck. I'm at 47k and no issues. Only problem I had was a left front wheel bearing fail due to a nasty pothole on howell ave by the airport. You keep talking about all these GM problems yet the only one I have seen is the intake gasket issue on the 3.1/3.4, and even that wasn't a big issue. Relatively quick fix for the average do-it-yourselfer.

Oddly enough, most of the GM problems you are talkin about is not a difficult fix, yet all Toyotas problems are major flaws... the camshafts on tundras, frames on tacomas, and I heard from multiple people about the boxes on the new tundras warping or deforming with weight in the wrong place on em. Not only that, but they are ugly :D

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 11:42 PM
got all the info on these from a gm master tech,my brother im sure he makes this stuff up. Tundras are ungly? Says the guy with the gay ass light bar,your not the one to make a judgement like that

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
the lightbar is something I added, not GM. I can remove it and bam no more gayness. The tundra...... eh, run it into a tree, maybe it will help that hideous front end

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 11:53 PM
thats cool. just remember that when Toyota is the #1 manufacturer in the world. you sure do nutswing from a company thats in bed with Toyota, the new hybrid stuff is toyota tech. the chevy nova, a corolla,vibe a matrix,kinda seems like GM wants to be more like them,But that aint gonna happen

formul8
05-19-2008, 11:54 PM
intake gaskets leakinging on yukons and tahoes at 30k? Those would have the 5.3L engine, as does my truck. I'm at 47k and no issues. Only problem I had was a left front wheel bearing fail due to a nasty pothole on howell ave by the airport. You keep talking about all these GM problems yet the only one I have seen is the intake gasket issue on the 3.1/3.4, and even that wasn't a big issue. Relatively quick fix for the average do-it-yourselfer.

Oddly enough, most of the GM problems you are talkin about is not a difficult fix, yet all Toyotas problems are major flaws... the camshafts on tundras, frames on tacomas, and I heard from multiple people about the boxes on the new tundras warping or deforming with weight in the wrong place on em. Not only that, but they are ugly :D

Don't forget about LS1's and their piston slap problem and heavy oil consumption that you practically had to call lawyers on GM to fix.

Reverend Cooper
05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
^ ahahahaha yeah i forgot that too

88Nightmare
05-20-2008, 12:07 AM
thats cool. just remember that when Toyota is the #1 manufacturer in the world. you sure do nutswing from a company thats in bed with Toyota, the new hybrid stuff is toyota tech. the chevy nova, a corolla,vibe a matrix,kinda seems like GM wants to be more like them,But that aint gonna happen

thats great. all the GM vehicles that are "sisters" of toyota vehicles or share technology.... aren't in my driveway or garage. Number one manufacturer doesn't mean they are best in quality, I don't care how many cars or junk trucks they sell. I know what cars and trucks have treated me well, and thats what I will continue to buy until something GM I own has some serious issues.... but given the number of GM vehicles that have been in this household so far, I don't imagine that happening anytime soon.

Oh yeah, my truck did have a problem with the intermediate steering shaft. The way they are designed on GMT800 trucks (tahoes, yukons, suburbans, silverados, and sierras.... all of them) they tend to push grease out and there is no way to add lube back to them. This results in a clunking in the steering wheel at various speeds, usually during turning. I noticed this issue in my silverado at about 15k miles, briefly mentioned it to my service writer during an oil change, he checked it out and then told me what the issue was, what it would take to replace it (45 minutes) and said they can do it right now for free. I said no problem get it done. And voila, no more clunk. Dealer took care of it no muss no fuss. :thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
05-20-2008, 12:10 AM
try that after 36k he would say fvck off

88Nightmare
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
doesnt matter, because the problem is noticeable long before that.

its all about the dealer. When I bought my 2002 Z71 used with 48k on the ticker, after having it for 3 days, while washing it I noticed my rear tires were TERRIBLY cupped, which lead me to believe they had been on the front, and just rotated them to the back to hide some steering issue. After talking with multiple friends, we all agreed that either the previous owner never rotated the tires, or there was a serious steering issue that needed to be addressed. Given it drove straight as an arrow with no vibrations or drifting of any kind, we started to think it was the lack of rotating the tires. I called the salesman where I bought it and talked with him forawhile, then brought it in. Him, the sales manager, and service manager checked it out, looked at the tires, put it up on a lift and checked out the steering, agreed the tires were junk, and then THEY bought me a new set of Firestone Wilderness A/T's and mounted and balanced them FOR FREE. Granted they were just some average tires, they certainly were not junk either.

spooln30
05-20-2008, 01:28 AM
For the first post. The statements about the frames ARE FALSE! I worked for Toyota for many years in the past (Cooper with admit) and we never had a problem with this. My good friend works for Toyota USA (He was a former R&D person and now is Toyota's lead materials engineer) I know Toyota quality has dropped a small bit, BUT the reason is do to Toyota Japan/World Corp. letting their cars/trucks being built in the USA. For marketing reasons of course. If you look at the REAL stats, every Toyota car/truck that was built in Japan(JT in VIN) has and will have a 91.8% less failure rate than a US built model. The facts are there just read them. In the end,Toyota just makes and markets a better product world wide!!

USMARINE1108
05-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Seems like it's smart marketing on their part...stuff like this will play well to current owners, sure...but also to owners of other makes who'll be looking to replace their vehicles in the future. It's expensive, for sure, but it'll "cement" their reputation for standing behind their product for MANY.

That's exactly what this comes down to, I bet most of these people selling their trucks back to toyota will turn around and put the money down on a new toyota product too.

I'm sure somewhere deep in a dark cave, some bean-counters decided it's cheaper to buy back the trucks then to deal with lawsuits from the trucks that are still under warranty. Not to mention the serious hit of having a reputation for vehicles that rust through. That reputation would, no doubt, carry over to toyota's other products and hurt sales. May not be true, but the reputation of the tacomas would follow the rest of their products too. Fact is, it's a serious engineering flaw. Toyota is, after all, a business out to make money. They could just say "f you", but this will give them a "we care and stand behind our product" reputation, whatever the reason behind it. That, in the long run, is worth a lot.

Reverend Cooper
05-20-2008, 06:12 AM
^ but see thats just it,none of the trucks are anywhere close to being in any kind of warranty its 95-2000 only Toyota extended the warranty to 15 years from the inservice date, there is no lawsuit issue they are out of the initial 5-60 rust warranty.Toyota is doing this as pure customer goodwill to show they stand behing their product.

Moparjim
05-20-2008, 08:06 AM
dood see this is where your head is up your ass and you have no clue wtf your talking about. Gm has recalls for steel wheels seperating from the cars,how about the illustrius quad four pos,gas tanks that killed more on the GM trucks then for chrysler and toyota put together,pintos that blew the **** up,every single older mopar that the trunks rotted out on and the rear leaf springs would come apart, how about the lt1 old school camaros that every rear frame rail needs repl on. how about 94 on up vortech s10 trucks that the cam gears come loose on,w bodies that ever rear calliper freezes up on Gm does shit for its customers and you dumbass' still by the mother****ers how stupid is that. clips for brake lines that would rub through how about all the 5.3 piston knock that my neighbor just got a letter on that from gm that says its ok and normal,and how about all the paint delamination issues that GM gave the big fvck you on, what Toyota is doing is right and noble plain and simple,all intake gaskets on tahoe,yukons that leak every 30000 miles just like the malibu 3.1 3.4 intake gaskets, fuel inj that stick on suburbans yukons and ck trucks nice touch, gaskets were redesigned by felpro do you think gm would recall it and fix it right no. airbag recalls on trailblazers. **** 93-95 corollas got a bad name due to delco alternators and batteries that took a shit in 30k toyota took care of alot of those outta warranty where GM again said fvck you, when toyota repl. them under warranty they put on the nippendenso's and never again had an issue.
If you want i will give you more info

While providing your "expert" opinion on every manufacturer's screwups, don't forget to mention Toyota's NUMEROUS quality problems as well. The new Tundras alone have had a boatload of problems - camshafts, the "rumble strip" transmission, the weak boxes going out of shape when loaded, the tailgates, the list goes on. How about the V6 sludge problems? I would have to waste precious time looking up the info yet again like I do every time one of these threads come up for specifics, but Toyota had a HUGE amount of recalls in 2005 and 2006, several times more than Chrysler did even. Search the board for the 100 previous "my brand is the bestest" threads if you want the actual info, I've posted it before.

Your clearly so biased, anything you post is meaningless - you should try to be a bit more objective. For instance its plainly obvious that I am a Chrysler guy, but I will be the first to admit we have had a lot of issues - it would be ridiculous not to. I do however tire very rapidly of people like you that seem to think Toyota or whatever brand you blindly give your loyalty to is flawless. Anyone with any common sense or does a little research would quickly realize that EVERY auto manufacturer has had plenty of problems that they aren't proud of. Some more than others obviously - but believe me every Toyota isn't plated in gold, and every car the big 3 make isn't a piece of junk. In fact, the Camry had been SIXTH or SEVENTH or so in the JD Power Quality survey for midsize cars the last 3-5 years or so. Meanwhile many domestic cars like GM's Malibu have been topping the list. There were THREE GM models above the Camry last year. Even much maligned Chrysler has made some pretty good stuff lately - the Hemi has been on Ward's top ten engine list for every year since its release - not an easy accomplishment by any means. The new large cars (300C, Charger, Magnum) have been very good, still have the best minivan (sure theres been issues with various parts/years but in general there's a reason why we still have 40% market share despite stiff competition), the Hemi and Cummins Diesel Ram is a very good truck, the Dakota has been excellent, and many of the Jeep products have been very good - the 4.0L was one of the most reliable motors ever made in my opinion.

I agree with several posters - if this had been a big three screwup, the media would have plastered the world with "yet another shitty domestic car" reports. The media the last ten years has been very biased against domestics - rightfully so 10-15 years ago there was a HUGE gap between domestic and foreign quality in general. The media and many narrow minded people however have ignored the fact that since the mid-late 90's that gap has largely been closed and foreign quality has slipped some or even a lot in some cases like VW (overall worse than the Koreans most years, Taureg was the absolute worst last year again) and the big three have started making some very decent vehicles again.

On the other hand, I do agree with the posters that Toyota earns points in my book for taking care of the issue. Really as a consumer that is all I expect - I am astute enough to realize that products I purchase especially something as complex as a car may have issues, but if the manufacturer takes care of it for my I am ok with it. That is where the big three have really failed, between the dealers and the parent companies a lot of times the customer service has still sucked.

USMARINE1108
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
^ but see thats just it,none of the trucks are anywhere close to being in any kind of warranty its 95-2000 only Toyota extended the warranty to 15 years from the inservice date, there is no lawsuit issue they are out of the initial 5-60 rust warranty.Toyota is doing this as pure customer goodwill to show they stand behing their product.

Where does it say 95-2000? I'm under the impression, from Toyota's website, that it's 95-2008.

88Nightmare
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
nice post Jim!

Cryptic
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
+1 Jim :thumbsup

Yooformula
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
its only 95-2000 tacomas

http://blog.toyota.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html

Reverend Cooper
05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
While providing your "expert" opinion on every manufacturer's screwups, don't forget to mention Toyota's NUMEROUS quality problems as well. The new Tundras alone have had a boatload of problems - camshafts, the "rumble strip" transmission, the weak boxes going out of shape when loaded, the tailgates, the list goes on. How about the V6 sludge problems? I would have to waste precious time looking up the info yet again like I do every time one of these threads come up for specifics, but Toyota had a HUGE amount of recalls in 2005 and 2006, several times more than Chrysler did even. Search the board for the 100 previous "my brand is the bestest" threads if you want the actual info, I've posted it before.

Your clearly so biased, anything you post is meaningless - you should try to be a bit more objective. For instance its plainly obvious that I am a Chrysler guy, but I will be the first to admit we have had a lot of issues - it would be ridiculous not to. I do however tire very rapidly of people like you that seem to think Toyota or whatever brand you blindly give your loyalty to is flawless. Anyone with any common sense or does a little research would quickly realize that EVERY auto manufacturer has had plenty of problems that they aren't proud of. Some more than others obviously - but believe me every Toyota isn't plated in gold, and every car the big 3 make isn't a piece of junk. In fact, the Camry had been SIXTH or SEVENTH or so in the JD Power Quality survey for midsize cars the last 3-5 years or so. Meanwhile many domestic cars like GM's Malibu have been topping the list. There were THREE GM models above the Camry last year. Even much maligned Chrysler has made some pretty good stuff lately - the Hemi has been on Ward's top ten engine list for every year since its release - not an easy accomplishment by any means. The new large cars (300C, Charger, Magnum) have been very good, still have the best minivan (sure theres been issues with various parts/years but in general there's a reason why we still have 40% market share despite stiff competition), the Hemi and Cummins Diesel Ram is a very good truck, the Dakota has been excellent, and many of the Jeep products have been very good - the 4.0L was one of the most reliable motors ever made in my opinion.

I agree with several posters - if this had been a big three screwup, the media would have plastered the world with "yet another shitty domestic car" reports. The media the last ten years has been very biased against domestics - rightfully so 10-15 years ago there was a HUGE gap between domestic and foreign quality in general. The media and many narrow minded people however have ignored the fact that since the mid-late 90's that gap has largely been closed and foreign quality has slipped some or even a lot in some cases like VW (overall worse than the Koreans most years, Taureg was the absolute worst last year again) and the big three have started making some very decent vehicles again.

On the other hand, I do agree with the posters that Toyota earns points in my book for taking care of the issue. Really as a consumer that is all I expect - I am astute enough to realize that products I purchase especially something as complex as a car may have issues, but if the manufacturer takes care of it for my I am ok with it. That is where the big three have really failed, between the dealers and the parent companies a lot of times the customer service has still sucked.

Never have I once said they dont have issues.....the point is Toyota takes care of it when they don't have to at all. The big three do not. I am quick to point out other flaws because according to 88nightmare the big three GM for sure have none.
Toyota goes out of there way from the dealership level to corporate to help and do goodwill for their customers this is fact,The big three do NOT that is fact.

MurphysLaw88GT
05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
all mfg'rs make good garbage and really bad garbage....

formul8
05-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Never have I once said they dont have issues.....the point is Toyota takes care of it when they don't have to at all. The big three do not. I am quick to point out other flaws because according to 88nightmare the big three GM for sure have none.
Toyota goes out of there way from the dealership level to corporate to help and do goodwill for their customers this is fact,The big three do NOT that is fact.

:wstupid

Toyota made a defective product and are standing behind it years after the warranties are done.

It is not the mistake or problem that worries me, it is how a company takes care of that mistake or problem that speaks volumes.

The big 3 just don't get it.

70challenger
05-21-2008, 01:34 AM
i saw this thread almost a week ago n another site and i meant to post it but i forgot. trust me, and anyone who knows me , i'm a support american/ buy american kind of guy (im not exactly goona go shopping for shirts ony made made in the u.s. but u get my point!) i saw this and i rooted for the big three as i saw this as a sore spot for toyota. but the more and more i thought about it, this is a great/ generous move on their part. wheather this makes them more money in the long run is anybodies guess. but for them to buy back every truck is phenomenal. i know the big 3 would not even consider it. i dont know if tacoma's rally had that bad of a problem as say my dodge ram with tranny problems, but it is cool that they took care of it. i know my truck has been damn near bulletbroof and have had no problems, but everyone will bash certain brands.

Moparjim
05-21-2008, 07:48 AM

I agreed with that very point in my last few sentances as well. Sadly, I know of quite a few instances where people actually loved their recent Chrysler product, then had an issue of some sort - some minor some major, and then the dealer and/or Chrysler either couldn't or wouldn't fix it properly or without hassle, and we lose a customer for life. In 99% of those situations if the issue would have just been taken care of the customer would have been satisfied and still be a Chrysler customer.

DurtyKurty
05-21-2008, 08:02 AM
To say that what Toyota has done is "noble" is quite a stretch. This is damage control. Period. I assure you that a bean counter figured out that it's simple cheaper in the long run to purchase these vehicles back than having to deal with a hand full of reputation damaging lawsuits.

IMO this doesn't make them any better then the big 3, just a little smarter.

Waver
05-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Well in my opinion this is a big step on the part of toyota....The last time that a major manufacturer did this was when ford did that massive recall on ALL of the fordtrucks and suvs and replaced the tires if they had firestone tires on them, even the spares...Was this Fords problem that the tires exploded? Hell no it wasnt, it was Firestones....Was it Fords fault that the truck rolled? No it wasnt, it was the panicky drivers fault, somthing that was provedby numerous car magazines at the time. However despite all of this, Ford still paid for the tires and the swapouts to happen. Now we are seeing this with toyota and people are jumping on them as well....Give me a break, It is a lot better than some manufactures giving their customer the mighty FU (and yes, ford has done that as well)........

formul8
05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Well in my opinion this is a big step on the part of toyota....The last time that a major manufacturer did this was when ford did that massive recall on ALL of the fordtrucks and suvs and replaced the tires if they had firestone tires on them, even the spares...Was this Fords problem that the tires exploded? Hell no it wasnt, it was Firestones....Was it Fords fault that the truck rolled? No it wasnt, it was the panicky drivers fault, somthing that was provedby numerous car magazines at the time. However despite all of this, Ford still paid for the tires and the swapouts to happen. Now we are seeing this with toyota and people are jumping on them as well....Give me a break, It is a lot better than some manufactures giving their customer the mighty FU (and yes, ford has done that as well)........

Ford was facing a major media smear with the small handful of Explorers that rolled due to tires that were most likely under inflated or people who just have no idea how to steer a vehicle in event of a blowout.

That was most likely a driver problem that became a Ford and Firestone problem.

It's not like you can really maintain a truck chassis other than regularly washing salt off in the winter time.

Yooformula
05-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Dont forget that Ford was mandating the wrong air pressure on the tires.

formul8
05-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Dont forget that Ford was mandating the wrong air pressure on the tires.

Like most Explorer owners checked the air pressure anyways? :rolf

DynoTom
05-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Like most Explorer owners checked the air pressure anyways? :rolf

Few drivers check air pressures....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3072627/

88Nightmare
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM

I never once said GM's don't have issues. None of the ones I have owned had any problems. And thats why I continue to buy them. I don't care if GM will stand behind their product or not, I have never had to go to them with a serious SAFETY issue like with the Tacoma. When my Silverados start letting me down, maybe you will find me shopping a Toyota lot for a Tundra, but until then, the silverado stays in my driveway.

Oh and come on now guys, we all know Toyota is simply doing this to SAVE THE **** out of their asses... Would they rather pay money and get these UNSAFE vehicles off the road, or have to start paying out for wrongful death lawsuits? What sounds better to the public.... a company going after the vehicles they improperly designed/built to "protect" people, or wait for somethin to happen and then get sued to hell? I'd guess there hasn't been a death yet, but if people are putting these things up on lifts at dealerships and they are buckling.... all its gonna take is one milwaukee pothole and that driver can kiss his ass goodbye.

Reverend Cooper
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
^ again this is what you don't get there would be no wrongfull death suits,the TMCC is no longer liable for anything on these trucks they are so far out of warranty it would not affect them. as for not being noble Kurt please, no big 3 manufacturer has or will EVER do this,they can not afford to nor would they if they could. Like I said before there is no liability the trucks are outta warranty and YOU own the truck its your responsibility not theirs anymore. But guess what some bean counter in the batcave did figure one thing,buying back the trucks may cost 46.6 million,but the amount of new vehicles moved in the long run and repeat service from customers happy with the buy back will be close to a 500 million dollars or more. seems like not only a good business move but a great customer retention and goodwill issue to.