PDA

View Full Version : 2 cycle lawnmower won't stay running.

Poncho
05-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I have an old '89 Lawnboy push mower that hates us. It will pretty much only run on a flatish surface with no resistance (lawn) under it. Drained gas already, put in new gas, it runs better, but still the same issue. Obviously carb related.

Where to start? The model is a M21ZPR. It runs fine @ WOT down to 1/2 throttle, any less and it'll die out. Once it dies, it's hard to get going again, but eventually will run again.

slickwilly
05-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Take it apart and get to the carb, spray some carb and choke cleaner in there while it's running.

I don't really know if that's possible on a lawn mower, but it's worth a shot.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
This guys lawnmower repair video tutorial helped me get my briggs and scraprion lawnmower running perfect with about 10 minutes of work and a $2 carb kit after running horrible for 2 freaking years.

Here is his lawnboy vid, guy is a character but he explains and diagnoses the lawnwboy mower in short order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzW6sIwYf7U

Breecher_7
05-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Go to fleet farm and get a rebuild kit for the carb......

wikked
05-18-2008, 04:06 PM
x3 on gummed up carb... it needs to be blown out with an air compressor.
Also clean the bowl out under the carb.

slickwilly
05-18-2008, 04:26 PM
This guys lawnmower repair video tutorial helped me get my briggs and scraprion lawnmower running perfect with about 10 minutes of work and a $2 carb kit after running horrible for 2 freaking years.

Here is his lawnboy vid, guy is a character but he explains and diagnoses the lawnwboy mower in short order.
Damn, good vid.

Russ Jerome
05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Welcome to Lawnboy hell!!!!
Great running mowers when they run correctly.

The cool thing about a lawnboy carb is it will
always run at WOT. I ran a Lawnboy for 3yrs
at WOT, just wire tied the throttle linkage and
pull plug wire when you want it off :) I've done
the same mod for two old guys here in my neigborhood,
can tell when they are mowing there lawn! If
you ever see a lawnboy by the street and its
not locked up its the carb or coil, grab it.

lordairgtar
05-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I've always found disposed Briggs motored lawn mowers easy to fix. It most likely will be a sheared or mangled flywheel key. Easy to replace and you are back in business. It basically means your magneto is out of time, so once you put the new key in place and reassemble the flywheel to the shaft, it should run fine. People who mow without watching out for rocks and stumps will knock the time out of whack.

slickwilly
05-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I've always found disposed Briggs motored lawn mowers easy to fix. It most likely will be a sheared or mangled flywheel key. Easy to replace and you are back in business. It basically means your magneto is out of time, so once you put the new key in place and reassemble the flywheel to the shaft, it should run fine. People who mow without watching out for rocks and stumps will knock the time out of whack.
If it's in my yard, I will run it over with the mower.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
i had the same problem and i ended up needing to take the gas tank off and clean it out. on the bottom of the tank there was a deposit that formed right by the pickup. i too was going to rebuild the carb, but i did the tank thing first, and the thing works great now. i just drained, removed, and used the pressure washer to blow the hell out of it?!?!?!

fly5150
05-18-2008, 09:04 PM

" I love garbage picking in my area, they throw away good sh1t!"
That guy is funny. Good info though.

nismodave
05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
If its a 2 cycle, take off the blade, and clean the exhaust ports.

Poncho
05-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like I have something fun to play with this week. Gotta get it done soon, otherwise the long grass will turn into trees.

lordairgtar
05-18-2008, 11:59 PM
If it's in my yard, I will run it over with the mower.

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:chair:

70 cutlass 442
05-19-2008, 01:06 AM
most likely the exhaust ports are carboned up. that and check compression.