PDA

View Full Version : G body gurus ??

05caddyext
05-17-2008, 10:08 PM
I have a friend who just bought a 400 sbc to put in his 84 monte carlo ss. Car originally had a 305 H.O. Turbo 350 tranny I believe was stock. What needs to be changed so this motor will work in the car? Will it just go right in? Different motor mounts? Different trans? Computer issues? Any and all info will be much appreciated.

Looking for - Crossmember for true dual exhaust.

Rocket Power
05-17-2008, 11:02 PM
It'll go right in. Depending on cam etc you may have comp issues, I will defer to Paul on that:thumbsup
I would guess if he's running a stock E-qjet it's going to need the secondaries richened up, with a different set of metering rods
Dual exhaust x members ... You can do what I did and notch one out yourself, like I did for my 2004r one, and I got one from another member that he notched too. Or if you go on maliburacing.com "Iceman" makes and sells them they are just like the expensive ones , but cheaper.

oneslowcamino
05-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I notched mine myself. Its pretty easy as long as you have a welder, and I just used some 3/8 flat stock. Or here is a link to the iceman page on maliburacing

http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/

05caddyext
05-18-2008, 11:43 AM
The motor already has a holley carb on it, and a bigger cam. The motor was built pretty nicely by the guy he bought it from.

Cutlass Queen
05-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Summit racing should have a cross member, probably about $210 brand new

84hurst
05-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I have two 2004r crossmembers (different than the 350?) and one aftermarket dual hump for sale (needs to be lengthend, it's a generic one). $20 each for the stockers and $75 for the aftermarket one. PM me if you're interested.

05caddyext
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Are the stock ones for a monte ss? Are they a dual hump? Thats what I need.

PB86MCSS
05-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm not an expert with 400's but as said, it would swap right in. The stock tranny for the 83-84's was the 3 speed TH-350. Is the motor built pretty well or is it mild? I'd personally look into keeping the stock ECM/Q-Jet setup for driveability...and you probably won't "lose" much power with it. A Q-Jet in proper tune is pretty good, they have a bad rap for being a little more complicated especially with the CCC setup. I have the ECM and CCC setup on my 383 and like it alot. Just a thought. Like Jamie said though, it also depends on the cam and how the motor is setup. What other plans are there such as headers/exhaust, etc? Stock tranny should be ok with minor abuse if its currently in ok shape. Like any stock tranny though, would help with a build up if that motor is pretty healthy and its driven pretty hard.

juicedimpss
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
ive never seen one of those electronic q-jet run right on a stock engine,let alone something with some cam.

with the holley on it,id also look into a normal HEI,i think those cars had that goofy one that worked with the elec carb.

forest
05-19-2008, 07:24 AM
ive never seen one of those electronic q-jet run right on a stock engine,let alone something with some cam.

with the holley on it,id also look into a normal HEI,i think those cars had that goofy one that worked with the elec carb.

+1 qjets suck.

PB86MCSS
05-19-2008, 07:27 AM

Thats the misconception out there...just as "the 200-4r is junk".

I've seen most of them run right on stock and modified engines.

"-1"

05caddyext
05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
He is using the shorty headers from his 305 on this new motor. will also be running full 2.5" exhaust with flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers on it. motor is built on the mild side, doesn't have a huge cam. I don't know a whole lot about g-body cars and he isn't real great with working on them.

juicedimpss
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Thats the misconception out there...just as "the 200-4r is junk".

I've seen most of them run right on stock and modified engines.

"-1"

i have no personal experience with one working properly,not sure what to tell you other than i was unwilling to give it much of a chance.
normal q-jets are the sh1t though.:thumbsup

juicedimpss
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
He is using the shorty headers from his 305 on this new motor. will also be running full 2.5" exhaust with flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers on it. motor is built on the mild side, doesn't have a huge cam. I don't know a whole lot about g-body cars and he isn't real great with working on them.

that car is going to be LOUD

84hurst
05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Are the stock ones for a monte ss? Are they a dual hump? Thats what I need.

The stock ones are from g-body's with the 2004r trans. One hump on the pass. side.