PDA

View Full Version : I'm-buying-soon questions

Al
05-17-2008, 01:14 AM
So I have my license now and I am looking to get a bike very soon, but I have a few questions...

Right now, I am looking at cruisers and some of those sport/ dual purpose bikes:

Ones I've Checked out
Kawasaki Versus
Suzuki Vstrom
Harley Sportster
Honda Rebel (low budget option)

Have not checked out yet but intend to:
Suzuki SV650 (naked version)
Yamaha FZ6
Honda Shadow
Buell Lighting & Ulyses
Buell Blast

As you can see with these bikes, I do not want to be crouched over the tank.

If you have any input ideas, feel free to state them.

ALSO...
I am looking for gear and accesories. Where is the best place to buy gear and are there aftermarket places where I can buy items like hard saddle bags for less than the dealership?

Soon, very soon...I will buy my bike.

946speedz
05-17-2008, 04:34 AM
check newenough.com for gear and ridegear.com has a closeout sale right now, im sure you can find some bags pretty cheap......
no offense i would stay away from harley(buell) i really like the vstrom, but the yami FZ6 has a pretty big following and you would have a good chance finding goodies for it.....good luck with what you choose dude, keep us informed

Breecher_7
05-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Out of those bikes you listed id go for the Suzuki SV650.

Al
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Quick question:

Could I be able to get out of paying a "freight and setup fee"? Seems some dealerships want to charge extra.

Al
05-22-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm spending so much on fuel lately that I am thinking about just buying a used Rebel. I think I should be able to pick up a 1 or 2 year old model for about $2,000. Either that or something else around 2k.

I'm thinking of it this way:
I am spending about 70-100$/week on fuel, if I buy the bike and ride it %75 of the time, I will spend about $30/week on fuel. In other words, it will pay for itself before the summer is over.

I was kinda moved towards a rebel after I saw a group of about 10 Rebels here in Milwaukee a few days ago. Them people looked as if rebels. I'm a rebel...kinda.

440mopargirl
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
online there's brockton cycle and motorcycle superstore, then there's renegade leather in new berlin that has helmets, boots, jackets & stuff

Al
06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
online there's brockton cycle and motorcycle superstore, then there's renegade leather in new berlin that has helmets, boots, jackets & stuff

Thanks.

I've been wanting to take a sportster out for a spin lately, but I need to get a helmet first.

Al
07-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm picking up my bike today!

pOrk
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM
So what did you get?

For gear, check out Scorpion Helmets at ride. Cheap and great quality for what you pay. If you want the best, go with Arai. For jackets, I prefer Aplinestar. Best :) Find a jacket that you like and find the size, then contact AJ at Endless Performance he will most likely be able to get you the best price.

Al
07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
07 HD XL883L Sporster in Blue.

I am buying it from Jamie's Customs in Big Bend. It has 180 miles on it, 10 of which I put on it during my test ride. I am very surprised that the only bikes anyone will allow you to test ride are Harleys. You cannot even go into a Honda dealership and test ride a used Rebel. my logic became simple during purchase: without a test ride, I won't buy it.

I have been looking at that Scorpion helmet with the internal visor. I wasn't very interested in them till I figured out how to put my glasses on with the helmet already on. As for a jacket, I know my leather coat won't do the trick, so I'll buy something soon.

Josepy
07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
07 HD XL883L Sporster in Blue.

I am buying it from Jamie's Customs in Big Bend. It has 180 miles on it, 10 of which I put on it during my test ride. I am very surprised that the only bikes anyone will allow you to test ride are Harleys. You cannot even go into a Honda dealership and test ride a used Rebel. my logic became simple during purchase: without a test ride, I won't buy it.

I have been looking at that Scorpion helmet with the internal visor. I wasn't very interested in them till I figured out how to put my glasses on with the helmet already on. As for a jacket, I know my leather coat won't do the trick, so I'll buy something soon.

I think the 883 will get old on you fast. Go with the Harley Nightster.

juicedimpss
07-03-2008, 09:55 AM

a 1200 top end is an easy upgrade.
:thumbsup

Yooformula
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
isnt Al like 100lbs dripping wet? Is this your first bike? I would doubt he would get bored on an 883.

juicedimpss
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
isnt Al like 100lbs dripping wet? Is this your first bike? I would doubt he would get bored on an 883.

eh,its still only about 45 hp

-stew-
07-03-2008, 06:32 PM

That and break down is the only this that a HD will ever do fast...

Al
07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
a 1200 top end is an easy upgrade.
:thumbsup

I thought about that when I made my decision.

So far, I managed to make a 16 mile drive home into a 60 mile ride. i really don't know how that happened.

I also bought a Scorpion EXO1000 helmet.

Mabey in the 70s, but I know enough people with 30k+ mile bikes that never had trouble.

Al
07-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Anyone know where I can get a deal on a windshield for this?

Al
08-26-2009, 11:26 PM

21,000 mile update!

I've owned this bike since July 3 of 08 and it now has 21,000 miles on it.

I've loved every minute on it with a few exceptions (potholes, bad drivers, lights that don't change, bees...)

When I add it all up, 21k equals about 100 miles per good riding day.

BTW- only issue with the bike is that I knocked the kick stand spring off 4 times. I call it a good record. All it really needs is the rear tire to be replaced (original).

JaMichaels
09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Shheeesh.. That's a lot of riding! Good for you man, I have the 09 Iron 883 and i've only got 1000m on it since March when I purchased it. Did you do any upgrades? Did you get the windshield? (I can't stand the way they look)

Honestly, I can't wait to already trade mine in for the NightRod (Or equivelant in the 2010 season).

Al
09-12-2009, 01:25 PM
My bike has another 1000 miles on it since that post.

Buying a bike was probably one of the best things I have done lately.

pOrk
09-12-2009, 01:54 PM
You got 21k miles on a stock tire?

Al
09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
You got 21k miles on a stock tire?

Rear tire needs to be replaced. The tread is about 1/16 inch. Front tire is about %75 tread. The bike has been getting loose around the twisties lately.

One thing I don't like about HD dealerships:
Rear Tire at House: $330
Rear Tire at Don and Roys: $170/135 if they remove the wheel from the bike/if I just bring the wheel in
Rear Tire at Southeast Sales: $130 wheel must be removed

SAME TIRE at all locations (tire has HD logo)

pOrk
09-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. Call Action to buy your tire, they are the cheapest for tires. Don't buy anything else there though, as they are crooks on prices for just about everything else

-stew-
09-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Motorsports Factory in Wuakesha has a big sale a few times a year. Front and rear Continental SportAttacks $230 mounted and balanced off the bike.

And are you seriously buyin a tire because it has the HD logo?

Al
09-14-2009, 01:30 PM
And are you seriously buyin a tire because it has the HD logo?

NO!

But the tire provided seems to only cost about $2 more than other tires of similar size and rating. Supposedly, Harley made a specific tire for this bike or vice-versa. I have not been able to find the a tire with the exact same ratings as the tire on my bike with out the HD emblem. When they typed it in at Southeast, the said "the tire we found for your bike has the HD logo on it, but we are not going to charge you $250 like they do at House."

New Questions:
How important is it that I get a tire with the exact rating as the original? One salesperson said that bike designs are partially built around the tires.
If I was going to put another tire on the bike, would it upset the balance?
If I do put a different tire on it, should I change the tires in pairs?

pOrk
09-14-2009, 02:07 PM
As long as the tire is the same size, it doesn't matter.

But hell, if you got 21k miles on a tire and you were happy with its performance, I would stick to that tire.

juicedimpss
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
might want to consider WHO will be putting the tire on at one of your "alternate" bike shops.
Something to always think about when shopping "price" do they have the same factory trained techs at the fly by night shops?

not saying you can't get equal quality work from an aftermarket shop,but you may want to ask about training.yes,there is something to know when "just mounting a tire".....remember,you are only on TWO of them,and it could cost your life if its not right.
for the record,the tire itself is 165.99,plus rim strip,tube,weights,and r&r.
are the aftermarket shops using your old tube?

juicedimpss
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM

But hell, if you got 21k miles on a tire and you were happy with its performance, I would stick to that tire.

tires have load ratings on them,i doubt a tire for a lightweight import bike would be "the same" as something made of iron,just because its the same "size"

Al
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
might want to consider WHO will be putting the tire on at one of your "alternate" bike shops.
Something to always think about when shopping "price" do they have the same factory trained techs at the fly by night shops?

not saying you can't get equal quality work from an aftermarket shop,but you may want to ask about training.yes,there is something to know when "just mounting a tire".....remember,you are only on TWO of them,and it could cost your life if its not right.

We are talking about the exact same tire, part number and all, manufactured by Dunlop. The HD dealerships seem to do a %100+ markup.

Al
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM

The 21k includes me intentionally locking up the rear tire about 1500 times from either dumping the clutch while downshifting or simply standing (literally) on the brake. Mid controls are good for leaning up on the handlebars. If I was better to the tire, I bet I could have pulled an extra 10,000 miles out of it. Remember, the front tire is still at 75% tread!

juicedimpss
09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
We are talking about the exact same tire, part number and all, manufactured by Dunlop. The HD dealerships seem to do a %100+ markup.
i can guarantee that you wont find the TIRE for half price of the harley dealer.

pOrk
09-14-2009, 09:38 PM

LOL

LOL again

Al
09-15-2009, 01:32 AM
i can guarantee that you wont find the TIRE for half price of the harley dealer.

House wanted $220 for the tire five weeks ago. Southeast sales wanted $92 a week ago.

Al
09-15-2009, 01:41 AM

You work at a Harley dealership?
I am very familiar with changing tires. Although never a motorcycle tire, I have changed well over 1000 car tires. I believe it is the tire machine, not the tech.

I'm thinking about Southeast Sales. They do BMW work there. I personally believe that BMW standards are higher than Harley's. I am not doubting that HD has high standards, but everyone I know places BMW at the top.

I have cast wheels with no tube. The weights on my bike already are made by the same manufacturer that makes adheasive-backed lead balast for radio control boats. Did the extra 54 dollars come from the tube and weights? I did tell the guy at House that my wheels were tube-less.

pOrk
09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Ron works for the dealership on layton. Harley Dealers have retarded mark ups on everything and obviously he is trying to keep buisness at his dealership by suggestion these other shops have under trained personnel.

juicedimpss
09-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Ron works for the dealership on layton. Harley Dealers have retarded mark ups on everything and obviously he is trying to keep buisness at his dealership by suggestion these other shops have under trained personnel.

no pork,i could care less where he takes his bike.I dont advertise for my regular job here. Just wanted to be sure we are comparing apples to apples.
there are other dealerships that "appear" to have a lower labor rate than we do,but they also charge more time than we do.....kinda washes out in the end.

juicedimpss
09-15-2009, 09:05 AM
House wanted $220 for the tire five weeks ago. Southeast sales wanted $92 a week ago.

the tire itself has been the same 165.99 for at least 6 months,and was a few dollars less before that.im not sure how or why you were quoted 220 for it.
as for SE sales selling it for that price,ill say this much.....ill buy some tires from them also,cuz thats less money than OUR cost for that tire. If i buy all my tires from them,i could put them out of business in a hurry.

kornholio788
09-15-2009, 09:05 AM
My gfs mothers boyfriend is the shop manager(I believe that is his title) over at Southeast sales. He knows his shit about bikes let me tell you. I have never had any work done to my bike there yet, but I plan to get a new chain and new tires put on by them. He actually just did a tune up to my bike at his house the other day. Dan isn't the type of guy that fucks around to screw people over. They are a kawi shop as you probably know but Dan was saying that the tech there can and will work on anything and get it done right.

I wouldn't be weary about getting the work done there at all.

Al
09-15-2009, 09:49 AM
the tire itself has been the same 165.99 for at least 6 months,and was a few dollars less before that.im not sure how or why you were quoted 220 for it.

Do the sales people recieve comissions?

as for SE sales selling it for that price,ill say this much.....ill buy some tires from them also,cuz thats less money than OUR cost for that tire. If i buy all my tires from them,i could put them out of business in a hurry.

One of my friend's dad has been working for HD for over 25 years. He told me to get my tires at SE sales.

Harley also has the most-loyal consumer base in the US.

pOrk
09-15-2009, 09:53 AM
thats less money than OUR cost for that tire. If i buy all my tires from them,i could put them out of business in a hurry.

I've heard many many shops talk like that about Acton selling their tires so cheap, but they are still in buisness. Maybe their cost on the tires are less then yours :thumbsup Buying in bulk saves a fortune as you should know.

juicedimpss
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Do the sales people recieve comissions?

bike sales,yes. service counter,no.

Josepy
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I buy all my bike tires off of ebay. Half the price of my local harley dealer. I would just take the tire and rim in seeing though I have a lift.

My local dealer was mad I brought in my own tire and didn't pay there outrageous fee for one. Assholes.

juicedimpss
09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I buy all my bike tires off of ebay. Half the price of my local harley dealer. I would just take the tire and rim in seeing though I have a lift.

My local dealer was mad I brought in my own tire and didn't pay there outrageous fee for one. Assholes.

that does get irritating,from the standpoint of "what if" and thats usually the case with carry in stuff. It never fails that the carry in tire is the one that just doesnt want to balance correctly,so the dealer screws around to not make money on a tire they didnt sell to begin with.lol
been there,done that.

Josepy
09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
that does get irritating,from the standpoint of "what if" and thats usually the case with carry in stuff. It never fails that the carry in tire is the one that just doesnt want to balance correctly,so the dealer screws around to not make money on a tire they didnt sell to begin with.lol
been there,done that.

When I show up with the identical tire that is on my bike currently. They even said oh that's the same exact tire we could of got you that. I said really for $120 instead of $220. They say "oh no we could not of done that." They didn't dick around with mounting it cause I was there watching. Seeing how my wheel was $1,500. THey did do a good job mounting and balancing it though and was cheap.

Al
09-15-2009, 11:01 AM
been there,done that.

I will second you on this one.

I do not like purchasing certain products off the internet, especially ebay. If TireRack sold bike tires, I would be somewhat comfortable. As for ebay, I don't get to meet the person on the other end of the line and dealing with bad products can be a big hassel.

I'll gladly spend $20 more at a local garage if it means I can come back if something is wrong.

Josepy
09-15-2009, 11:07 AM
I will second you on this one.

I do not like purchasing certain products off the internet, especially ebay. If TireRack sold bike tires, I would be somewhat comfortable. As for ebay, I don't get to meet the person on the other end of the line and dealing with bad products can be a big hassel.

I'll gladly spend $20 more at a local garage if it means I can come back if something is wrong.

Thats why I bought from a guy that runs a tire store on ebay. He has them in bulk. More than likely why i got it so cheap.

Al
09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
the tire itself is 165.99,

Suburban Harley wants 132 for the same tire.

Al
10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
After all of the possibilites for this thread, I'm going to Suburban Harley right now. They only cost $8 more than Southeast.

BTW- taking the tire off was easy.

Al
10-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Tire is back on. I'm just double-checking the alignment right now. I'm thinking about making a jig to do this with.

Coops Brother
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
been there,done that.

I believe I know that tire.....or maybe the one that won't seat the bead until 90 psi...those were the days I tell ya.