PDA

View Full Version : this is sad......

spindler27
05-15-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm?rev=10284

this just blows me away on both ends, someone so mean as to do this to her, and someone so down on herself to actually commit suicide......

any thoughts?

GRAMPS SS
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
i got a blue screen Joel....nothing....

spindler27
05-15-2008, 11:21 PM
works for me, let me check it out

spindler27
05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
click on that story, the myspace one

Smokey1226
05-15-2008, 11:29 PM
damn that shit is messed up. how does someone get off by trying to make someone feel that bad? WTF MATE, get a job...do something...the world would be better off if those people werent around. That just pisses me off, thanks a lot Joel...i was planning on going to bed soon but looks like i gotta head to the gym lol

Goat Roper
05-15-2008, 11:31 PM
yeah, that was some bullshit but it was almost two years ago now I think, shame it took this long. I remember last year that lady was all but run out of town.

Knyghtmare
05-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I still say we burn the ***** witch hunt style.

Smokey1226
05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
I still say we burn the ***** witch hunt style.

hell ya, im all for it! Btw i like the way you think.

LIZMO
05-16-2008, 12:25 AM
what happened? i clicked on the link and i got a map of the usa lol

Syclone0044
05-16-2008, 02:42 AM
It's the girl who killed herself because her girl-friends were being mean to her on instant message.

IMO it's hardly the responsibility of the people being mean to her. If that's all it took for the girl to kill herself, she had some serious issues regardless of whether or not her neighbor was taunting her.

Yeah it's unfortunate any time a young person takes their life. But this is stupid. Making up some bullshit new law isn't going to bring the woman's daughter back to life.

USMARINE1108
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
what happened? i clicked on the link and i got a map of the usa lol

I'm with you. I didn't see a myspace link.

Yooformula
05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
IMO it's hardly the responsibility of the people being mean to her. If that's all it took for the girl to kill herself, she had some serious issues regardless of whether or not her neighbor was taunting her.

Yeah it's unfortunate any time a young person takes their life. But this is stupid. Making up some bullshit new law isn't going to bring the woman's daughter back to life.

I agree. maybe her parents should have instilled more self confidence.

HAMRHEAD
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I think it's tragic what happened but is coming up with bs laws the answer? Where were this girls parents? They don't monitor what there daughter does online? I don't buy it! If this was an adult I would just say that is evolution weeding out the weak genes. However this is a child and they are to be protected till they are adults, but the protection should start with the parents not society. If you can't put forth the effort as a parent and watch your children then don't have any. It is WORK to raise children, not just a benefit of getting older or a by product of sex. Agin I feel badly this child died.

flyin_blue_egg
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
just getting a blue screen??

Syclone0044
05-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok here's a real news link: http://uk.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUKN1541585320080515

This has more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Drew

It sounds like they had a neighbor girl who was friends or ex-friends with the suicidal girl, and the neighbor and her Mom made a fake account to taunt the girl and find out what the girl really thought about her ex-friend.

From the Wikipedia article it does sound pretty cruel to gang up on a high school kid and torment them, but I still don't think they intended her to die. If I told some guy to go jump off a cliff, and to my surprise he actually did it, should I be responsible for his death?

Prince Valiant
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
If I told some guy to go jump off a cliff, and to my surprise he actually did it, should I be responsible for his death? No, but it's not quite the same situation.

There is a difference b/w a statement that is more or less a figure of speech, and bullying an individual.

At the same time, no reasonable person should kill themselves as a result of cruel bullying either.

But that doesn't let the bully off...the bully SHOULD be responsible for their harassment, and we have laws that spell out the punishment for harassing other individuals. At a minimum, they should receive punishment most certainly including jail time for their deed.

As to any "wrongful death" suit, there should be culpability there too...however, it couldn't be 100%, of course. The girl who committed suicide clearly had issues/indicators that made her more likely to commit the act, and that can't be held against the bullies/tormentors...suicide is not a reasonable outcome for virtually any action. But, no doubt their actions DID contribute so some responsibility should be assigned.

I'd argue a ~ 50% responsibility. This isn't the same as convicting them of murder, since it's a civil case. This would then thus leave them 50% responsible for what would be a standard "wrongful death" judgement (many factors are used to determine the monetary amount, and it's different for children versus adults) and some punitive judgement should be included too (One that effectively ensures that whomever did the bullying/tormenting ends up with at MOST little to nothing).

flyin_blue_egg
05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
i remember hearing about this when it happened

Karps TA
05-16-2008, 04:23 PM
When will kids learn that none of that crap that happens in high school and lower means a damn bit of anything in real life?

High Schools need to bring in ex class clowns, jocks, home coming queens, nerds, etc 10-15 years later and see how little all that drama means later in life. Kids stress way too much about the dumbest crap.