PDA

View Full Version : Home improvement ????

STANMAN
05-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Had a house inspected today that I am thinking about buying, but it has 15 YO wood siding that has seen better days. Will write the offer with the price to convert this wood siding to vinyl, am just wondering what the ball park is for siding a house. Square footage is 2800+/-, 1.5 story colonial style. And not the bargain basement price, I am talking reputable people doing a good job.

Lash
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I'd say at least $6k...probably more around $8k....possibly even more depending on the material and style you choose. The only real way to find out is to get an actual estimate from a professional. There a lot of things/options that really make up the price.

Mr Twigbert
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
We paid like $4,500 for ours, sides and back.. That 'might' give you a general idea.. If you want the name of the company we used let me know.. They were pretty nice and easy to work with..

After the siding we had the same company come back and do all of our windows too..

awsomeears
05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Had a house inspected today that I am thinking about buying, but it has 15 YO wood siding that has seen better days. Will write the offer with the price to convert this wood siding to vinyl, am just wondering what the ball park is for siding a house. Square footage is 2800+/-, 1.5 story colonial style. And not the bargain basement price, I am talking reputable people doing a good job.

Did they inspect the Furnace & A/C ?

Because just like anything ( plumbing, electrical, structure, HVAC ) there are inspectors and then there are the Professionals like myself.

What I'm trying to say is inspectors are way to General about putting the stamp of approval on anything :alcoholic I'm not saying there Dumb but it just kills me almost every time ( 9 out of 10 ) I'm at a new home owner I recommend either A. Replacing the furnace B. Making $500 + repair.

Either it has to do with Safety or you being the new home owner really has no clue about how well it worked last year other then the inspectors stamp of approval.
And I'm always faced with " well the inspector said our %80 1980 furnace was good to go " hahaha then I have to watch what I say because I can't flat out say what I just told you.

I would be more then happy to stop by to look at the system to give you my 0.02 :thumbsup PM me if you would like.

stenchmiester
05-15-2008, 07:44 PM
you have a pm

STANMAN
05-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Got it:thumbsup

awsomeears
05-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Stanman you read what I mentioned ? I would hate to see you fall into something that will cost you $kkk after the papers are signed.

Again just adding my 0.02

jbiscuit
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
2800+ sq foot house? Its got to be closer to $8K I would think. I write your offer so they set aside the money in an escrow account so YOU can choose who to have side the house. Cuz while you have the old siding ripped off, you can Tyvek-wrap the house then also with your cash. If you let them choose who to side it, I GUARANTEE it will be done as sh1tty as possible to meet the requirements.

RCN4HIM
05-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Sent

CPonyGo
05-16-2008, 08:07 AM
My son and I did mine a few years back and I highly reccomend the Tyvek...after we stripped the house we poked out the windows and wrapped the house and slide the windows in...best thing I ever did...then over two weekeneds we sided it but then he is a carpenter

That_Guy
05-16-2008, 08:43 AM

dude dont do vinyl siding.. do hardy backer/plank.. it will boost the resale of the home though the roof. it comes pre painted and the shit has a lifetime warranty...

your a retard if you dont

That_Guy
05-16-2008, 08:45 AM
My son and I did mine a few years back and I highly reccomend the Tyvek...after we stripped the house we poked out the windows and wrapped the house and slide the windows in...best thing I ever did...then over two weekeneds we sided it but then he is a carpenter

i completely agree. but if tyvek is left in thes sun for more then 2 days it looses all its properties that make it what it is... so if they do it make sure they dont slap it all on and let it bake in the sun.

That_Guy
05-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Did they inspect the Furnace & A/C ?

Because just like anything ( plumbing, electrical, structure, HVAC ) there are inspectors and then there are the Professionals like myself.

What I'm trying to say is inspectors are way to General about putting the stamp of approval on anything :alcoholic I'm not saying there Dumb but it just kills me almost every time ( 9 out of 10 ) I'm at a new home owner I recommend either A. Replacing the furnace B. Making $500 + repair.

Either it has to do with Safety or you being the new home owner really has no clue about how well it worked last year other then the inspectors stamp of approval.
And I'm always faced with " well the inspector said our %80 1980 furnace was good to go " hahaha then I have to watch what I say because I can't flat out say what I just told you.

I would be more then happy to stop by to look at the system to give you my 0.02 :thumbsup PM me if you would like.

i completely agree....

DRK
05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
i completely agree. but if tyvek is left in thes sun for more then 2 days it looses all its properties that make it what it is... so if they do it make sure they dont slap it all on and let it bake in the sun.

Tyvek is UV resistant for up to 4 months not 2 days :)

jbiscuit
05-16-2008, 10:01 AM
^^^ I was going to say the same thing.

WhatsADSM
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
+2 on the hardy plank. IMO do it right.

and 2800 sq/ft. shit thats big.

GL with the offer!

CobraSnake
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
dude dont do vinyl siding.. do hardy backer.. it will boost the resale of the home though the roof. it comes pre painted and the shit has a lifetime warranty...

your a retard if you dont

I know of a company that has a lifetime warranty on vinyl siding. Plus they have a liftetime warranty as well on fading.

Mark

Lash
05-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Where the hell did you hear that from :rolf

CobraSnake
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Where the hell did you hear that from :rolf

right. Because I've seen homes there were getting built that have the tyvek showings for weeks maybe even months.

Mark

That_Guy
05-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Tyvek is UV resistant for up to 4 months not 2 days :)

thats what a sales rep was tellin me.. he told me that 2 days in the elements and its worthless. "rain,sun, ect.."

That_Guy
05-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I know of a company that has a lifetime warranty on vinyl siding. Plus they have a liftetime warranty as well on fading.

Mark

hardy backer will actually effect your homeowners... in a positive manner.. but if you got a connection use it..

Lash
05-17-2008, 08:02 AM
thats what a sales rep was tellin me.. he told me that 2 days in the elements and its worthless. "rain,sun, ect.."

Look at the last line....
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Construction/en_US/assets/downloads/K-05031_HW_Prod_Prop.pdf

Rain wont affect it as it is supposed to be a water barrier. It's made to withstand water.

That_Guy
05-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Look at the last line....
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Construction/en_US/assets/downloads/K-05031_HW_Prod_Prop.pdf

Rain wont affect it as it is supposed to be a water barrier. It's made to withstand water.

well then what the hell was that guy talking about:rolf.

Rocket Power
05-17-2008, 10:37 AM
well then what the hell was that guy talking about:rolf.
I had a salesman try to sell me vinyl siding for my house, which is brick, and he was at my front door so he could see it:rolf