PDA

View Full Version : Props to Schlossmann's Honday City

Prince Valiant
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
The only car I don't change my own oil is the insight...with taking the underside body panels off, getting the special filter, finding the 0W-20 synthetic, etc, it really doesn't pay. Once you figure the price of the oil/filter, I'm only saving ~ $5-7 dollars to do it myself.

SO, I took it in for the change...25 minutes later, I'm out the door. The service rep mentioned though that the service tech noticed a small leak from the plug. Meh...nothing's ever accumulated on my driveway, so it couldn't be a big deal.

Get home to do a little work and park the car....realizing I needed to move the car back, pushed it back. Uh oh...that's not just a little leak, it was a fairly significant one.

Get the car back to Honda City and they looked...sure enough, where the pan plug goes in, you can see a crack...looks like they over toqurqued it.

"...and you've never had a leak before sir?"

"Nope"

*sigh* "Well, it's a 1,600 dollar repair (they have to take apart quite a bit to get the oil pan out), but we'll do the right thing"

Gave me a rental, overnighting the parts, and hopefully, by tommorrow, I'll have my new oil pan in and the insight back on the road :thumbsup

FAR easier than expected.

Might they be able to keep Beecher happy though, that's the question :goof

fly5150
05-14-2008, 02:38 PM
".....blah blah...............Fast & the Furious ........ overnighting the parts in from japan.......

Flicktitty
05-14-2008, 02:43 PM
:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

good to hear they are taking care of you.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Awesome service for an awesome car. :) Props indeed.

T-Bag
05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
**** Honda city

Service department might be good but the rest of that dealership is SHIT

Cryptic
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM
wow..... you dont see it play out like that very often

88Nightmare
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I didnt think oil drain plugs required a specific amount of torque...... when I change my oil, I hand tighten the plug until it gets tight, then take the wrench and give it a quarter turn to snug it up.

slickwilly
05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I didnt think oil drain plugs required a specific amount of torque...... when I change my oil, I hand tighten the plug until it gets tight, then take the wrench and give it a quarter turn to snug it up.
They probably used an impact wrench. I doubt they actually torqued it to a specific measurement.

Prince Valiant
05-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Generally it's a german spec called "gutten tite", aka good n' tight. ~ 15ft-lbs of torque, don't know the inch pound equiv though. They usually use a stick on their small impact wrench that limits the torque...but sometimes they get lazy about it...