PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Automobile History

lordairgtar
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
I want to share some local automotive history, this has been a long going project of mine as I was going to write a book about it. Time constraints, health and lack of money prevented me from doing it. Some of these companies still exist in one form or another. Here is the first company...

Abresch of Milwaukee (Charles Abresch Company 1871-? Manufacturer of Carriages and Wagons - Abresch Motors, Inc - Abresch-Cramer Auto Truck Co) built some custom bodies for Kissel automobile sold through his Kissel dealership . New Yorker and Bradfield taxis were built in Kissel factory near the end of firm. Charles Abresch died in 1912.

Abresch was a Kissel (another Wisconsin firm) dealer from 1908 on and also built production bodies for the early Ramblers and also the Fawick Flyer/Silent Sioux, as well as commercial bodies for Milwaukee firms. Manufactured an assembled truck for a short period of time from 1910-1912. His partner – Cramer - was a Mr. Kremers (Americanization of Kremers)

Abresch built production bodies for the Rambler, Fawick Flyer and Silent Sioux.

ABRESCH-KREMERS (US) c.1910-1912 The Charles Abresch Co., Milwaukee, Wis.

The Abresch-Kremers was an assembled truck, built by a custom automobile body builder in Milwaukee. Little is known about their truck venture. The make is also referred to as the Abresch-Cramer, possibly an error, or a changing of a partner's name to give the marque a better chance in the marketplace. The Charles Abresch Co. survived until 1965, although they were almost certainly out of the truck business by 1913.

Moparjim
05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I am an engineer at the Jeffries - Nash - AMC - Renault/AMC - Chrysler/AMC - Chrysler - DaimlerChrysler - Chrysler again plant in Kenosha. We have some very interesting history since 1900 or so if your ever interested I could put some of it together from all the info around here.

lordairgtar
05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I appreciate that. Most of what is known about AMC and related companies has been well documented. I've been searching for the lessor known Milwaukee and Wisconsin car companies. Even if they just made one car with the intent of making more.

A.Spod
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Mitchell & Lewis Co. from Racine?

lordairgtar
05-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Ah yes, the Mitchell! They started in 1903 and ended in 1923 when Nash bought the factory. I have ever seen only one Mitchell at a restoration shop in Santa Barbara of all places. It was a car similar to a Mercer or Stutz Bearcat in looks.

lordairgtar
05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.timeline.route66rambler.com/mitchmotor.html
I love the connection between this old firm and Soichiro Honda.

Rocket Power
05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I work at the former AMC proving grounds. We still have some stuff around with Nash tags on it. Kinda neat. I didn't know there was anyone else making cars in WI that wasn't related to AMC somehow, interesting...