PDA

View Full Version : Any handgun enthusiasts?

Crawlin
10-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Just wondering. Might be purchasing a handgun in the near future to start shooting for sport. Just something to do while the car is down and the winter is long.

Chris

Prince Valiant
10-20-2003, 07:12 PM
What, does the winter blues make you want to shoot yourself in the head?

:nutkick

Brian98GTP
10-20-2003, 08:18 PM
I wouldnt call myself an "Enthusiast", but I like guns, and I shoot in a Pistol League every Tues. Night at the Hartford Gun Club... :D

I shoot an HK USP 9mm.... What are you looking to buy?

Its fun to be in the league... All you do is drink, and shoot !! :alcoholic :guns1 :devil

Crawlin
10-20-2003, 08:35 PM
I may have to hook up with you. I'm interested in joining a shooting league.

Currently, from talking with some people, i've been recommended the Glock G19 or G23. I'll probably end up with the 19 just to save the little bit of money on the amount of rounds i'm hoping to shoot :) But I am open to any other suggestions

What is all required for the shooting league? Could you post some more info on it?

MIDNIGHT Z
10-20-2003, 09:30 PM
I have a glock 22 and 27 and I love them.

Brian98GTP
10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Well, the cool thing about the league Im in, is you DONT have to be a Gun Club Member to be in the Pistol League... We just started about a month ago, and I think there's like 6 weeks left... Then the WINTER League starts up ... So in like another 2 months or so, maybe more, The League will start up again... I'll let you know when exactly, but...

As far as fees for joining, Its a $50.00 fee,... Its held every Tuesday night between 7-930ish.. Just show up, shoot, drink/mingle/whatever, and leave when you want... Beer is only like $1.75 a bottle... :thumbsup

Umm.. what else.....

You shoot 30 rounds total...
You have 4 targets, ...

The first target, is the 'Slow Fire' target shoot... You load 5 rounds, and have 5 minutes to shoot....
Second Target is pretty much the same thing... 5 rounds, 2 minutes to shoot...
Third Target is 'Rapid Fire'...
5 rounds, 20 seconds...
Same Target, shoot 5 more rounds in 20 seconds...
4th Target, shoot 5 rounds, 10 seconds....
Same Target, shoot 5 rounds in ...5 or 10 seconds...

All shooting is done with ONE hand... I think its at 25 yards...
You can shoot 'Ahead' to for the next upcoming week if you know you wont be able to make it there to shoot...

Safety glasses/ear protection required too...lol...

Thats about all I can think of right now, ... So, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask... You could always come up there on a Tuesday Night, just to watch and see how everything is done... Its in Hartford on Hwy. 60... About 2 miles from Tom B's house... :shades

Let me know..

Brian98GTP
10-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Oh yeah..

Theres seperate leagues that shoot at the same time...

One for Centerfire, and one for Rimfire....

Same fee I think.. and same kind of shooting... Just different type of scoring....

Rocket Power
10-20-2003, 11:32 PM
My wife and I used to shoot on a league years ago. I used to use a Ruger P-89 and she used her S&W 686 .357:D
I got rid of the Ruger and have a Glock 23 now (pre-ban baby, 13 round mags :thumbsup ) she still has her 686. Hmmm maybe I SHOULD go shooting on a league again:shades

Knyghtmare
10-20-2003, 11:58 PM
I am actually considerng buyin a SIG P226 9mm.

SSScottSS
10-21-2003, 04:08 AM
I'm just not a fan of plastic guns..Glocks. I know they have impoved over the past few years, but I still think guns should be made out of metal.
A shooting leauge that endorces drinking alcohol while handling firearms? Your choice, but that doesn't sound like any place I would want to be near.

Crawlin
10-21-2003, 08:39 AM
I've heard alot of conflicting opinions on the plastic guns. When I grabbed the Glock it was so light until i realized that a lot of it was plastic. maybe that's why i liked it, because it was a little lighter than the others.

Brian, you shooting tonight? I think I may have to head up there and watch. Is there a gun store in the building, or is it just a shooting range? And could you get me an exact address so I can hit up mapquest :) Thanks a ton

Chris

and for sure let me know about the winter league, cause i'm in for sure on that one!

Brian98GTP
10-21-2003, 07:52 PM
No, Im not shooting tonight... I had to go to the doctor to get my banged up knee checked out...

Next week for sure !

Directions...

Go north on Hwy. 45 to Hwy. 60 in Slinger...

Head West on 60.. go past Hwy. 175... go past pretty much all of Slinger, and once you get to the Ford Dealership on the right hand side, its less than a 1/4 mile down on the right hand side,... It has sort of a hidden driveway, but its right after the Timlin's Furniture driveway.. Maybe two down from Timlins, because I think theres a house next door...You'll see the White, lit up sign on the road....

Turn into the driveway, park the car, come inside....

Or better yet, give me a call when you pull in the parking lot... Email me later sometime, and i'll give you my cell number...

SSSCOTTSS : It isnt just a bunch of drunks sitting around, pointing their guns at anything that moves and shooting it...
Obviously, responsibility is in order.... Its in order whenever firearms are involved... alcohol too for that matter...
But anyways.... drinking comes AFTER shooting....
This is a Gun Club with order..., not a trailer park gathering with the local hillbillies and town drunks....

SSScottSS
10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Thats good to hear..."Just show up, shoot, drink/mingle/whatever" gave me the wrong impression I guess.

Brian98GTP
10-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Haha.. yeah..

That was just a sum-it-up version...

After re-reading it, it DOES sound pretty bad... lol

Lash
10-21-2003, 09:05 PM
^^ Brian and a gun.....scary!

j/k man

Sound like tons of fun!

BLOWN GP
10-21-2003, 11:05 PM
As far as "plastic" guns go, I've shot Glocks and H&Ks. I own a USP Compact in .40 and would trust it with my life. Should we get concealed carry here, that would be my weapon of choice. The gun is absolutely stone realiable, deadly accurate, and a natural pointer. I took Massad Ayoob's LFI-1 defensive shooting course with it a couple of years ago now. At the end of the course, we had a police-style qualifying shoot, with a prize for whoever ended up with the best score. Other class members had everything from Milwaukee PD-issue Glocks to custom Cylinder & Slide Smith & Wessons to $2,000 Wilson Combat 1911s. I took top shot honors with a compact plastic gun and Blazer ammo. After that, I determined that I was never going to get rid of the USP.

That being said, my first love is 1911s. I currently own a Kimber Gold Match in stainless. Sweetest factory .45 I've ever handled. It's pretty much an out-of-the-box mid-level IPSC gun, only good for punching holes in cardboard, but it'll put the H&K to shame for accuracy. If you're looking for something fun for indoor competition shooting that's the classic shooter's pistol, go with a 1911. Les Baers and Wilsons are nice if you can afford them, but Kimber makes some impressive pistols that the average Joe can still buy. Pretty much the best "factory" 1911s out there.

If you want something inexpensive to feed, fun, and with next to nothing for recoil. Ruger MK II based .22 pistols have bee a favorite of mine for years. I own a 22/45, a variant on the Mark II family that has a polymer frame with a grip and controls specifically designed to emulate a 1911-style .45. I have one with a bull barrel that comes close to the weight and feel of a full-sized large-caliber pistol. It's perfect for practicing trigger technique while separating out the flinch element.

This reminds me, I really need to stop messing with the GTP and get to a range again one of these days.

Brian98GTP
10-22-2003, 12:03 AM
I Love my H & K.... Its only a 9mm... but it'll still hurt... :D

^^ Brian and a gun.....scary!

j/k man

Sound like tons of fun!

Thanks for the reply Luke.. :flipoff:

SSScottSS
10-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Speaking of the concealed carry proposal, just wondering what people's view are on that. Obviously everyone trusts themselves to carry a weapon, but do you really think the law should pass. Would you feel safe if just about anyone could carry a concealed weapon?
At this point, I'm going to reseve my opinion, but the scenario that always comes to mind is the angry driver who has a loaded gun strapped to his side. You acidently cut this guy off, or rear end him. He's furious. Normally he would get out of the car and just start screaming, but this time, he just snaps..gets out his gun, and blows away the person who hit his car.
The reason I bring up that scenario is it's one any of us can imagine, and its also one anti cocealed carry activists are repeatedly bringing up. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the subject.

Crawlin
10-23-2003, 02:00 PM
well, you should look at what is all involved in GETTING a concealed weapon permit. it's a lot more involved then just applying for it. instruction, shooting with an instructor, even greater background check, etc... plus, if someone did that, who's to say that the other person doesn't have a gun as well? That alone would deter most from getting into a fight like that. But look at how many other states HAVE that law. I think it's at 32 or somewhere are there. Don't hear too much about incidents like you stated. I might apply for it if it was passed, but i don't think i would carry it ALL the time. There are a LARGE amount of restrictions of where you can and cannot bring it. wish i had the link for it.

Chris

BLOWN GP
10-23-2003, 02:51 PM
There are now 34 states with what is know as a "shall issue" concealed carry law, i.e. anyone who is of legal age, not a felon, etc... and applies for a permit, msut be issued one in a fixed length of time, say, 90 days. No sherriff or mayor gets to decide whether or not you're worthy.

The wild west, people shooting each other in road rage incidents, etc... simply hasn't happened. Florida was the first state, adopting it in 1989 and the results have been nothing but positive. The anti-gunners' shrill cries simply don't hold any water.

Crawlin
10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Some stuff related to California, but after going through all the states where it's legal, they all have pretty much the same guidelines.

http://www.psta-inc.com/newpage3.htm

Matt B
10-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SSScottSS
Speaking of the concealed carry proposal, just wondering what people's view are on that. Obviously everyone trusts themselves to carry a weapon, but do you really think the law should pass. Would you feel safe if just about anyone could carry a concealed weapon?
At this point, I'm going to reseve my opinion, but the scenario that always comes to mind is the angry driver who has a loaded gun strapped to his side. You acidently cut this guy off, or rear end him. He's furious. Normally he would get out of the car and just start screaming, but this time, he just snaps..gets out his gun, and blows away the person who hit his car.
The reason I bring up that scenario is it's one any of us can imagine, and its also one anti cocealed carry activists are repeatedly bringing up. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the subject.

It is a huge responsibility. Obviously you would like to think you can trust yourself with that kind of power, but its only up to you.
I have one, and to be honest, the thing I dread the most is ever using it. The civil lawsuits, the criminal lawsuits etc are far scarier than getting bent out of shape over someone who cut me off, or pisses me off. The only time I would ever consider it is if someone's or my own life was in danger (as it should be...last resort)

If you seriously want to get one, think long and hard about the situations you are in, expect to be in and see if it will benefit you at all vs the potential liablility. In Iowa, we cannot carry into public parks, government buildings or within I think 100 or 1000 ft of a school (colleges excluded). But if you were pulled over passing by a school with a permit and a loaded weapon its officers discretion to ticket you or not. Obviously the concealed permits are illegal when consuming or under the influence of drugs or alcohol...but I can legally carry in a bar if I don't consume :)

Matt