PDA

View Full Version : 2001-2002 F-body owners you might have ls6 block

88camaro
10-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Grab a mirror and flashlight. look at the driver side, in the back above the transmission flange. if you see a 12561168 its ls6 block. Also you can tell by the block's luster if it dull in color you might have on or a dirty engine. 10-15% 01 f-body cars and 25% f-body cars have a ls6 block.

If you dont trust me. grad a camaro performers mag
fall 2003 page 83

Cryptic
10-20-2003, 05:22 PM
damn :eek:

BAD LS1
10-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Yes i verified this back in July wheni had my trans out for a rebuild.
Only then was i able to read the #'s on the back of the block jsut below the driver side head and i do indeed have a LS6 block and my car was very early 2001 too. Theres no way in hell you can get light back there and see at the same time with the trans in or the head on the car. That very same article was in July edition of GM High Tech Peformance.

Tom B

88camaro
10-20-2003, 08:16 PM
i just though that some might find useful and kinda cool. Thats cool that you have ls6 block

Syclone0044
10-20-2003, 11:13 PM
What is the benefit of the LS6 Block?

88camaro
10-21-2003, 09:54 AM
stronger
ls1 had 28.5mm (over 1 inch) ventilation hole drilled though the center of all 5 bulkheads close to the crank, for bay-to-bay breathing.
ls6 had much larger cast-in holes though 2, 3, and 4 bulkheads.

made 87% more ventilation.

02hawk796
10-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Additional commentary/info buried in this thread:
http://phpbb.firehawk.org/viewtopic.php?t=3519

I can't guarantee accuracy, but you can determine that yourself. If this is true, I have an LS6 block - checked at the Oil Change the 17th. Built the 38th week of prod, on Wed, 13 Feb 02. I have not heard yet of any 02 Firehawks without this block - coincidence or anecdote? maybe LS6 blocks were part of the unofficial package for WU6 RPO.

lotsals1
10-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Um they have been doing this since 99 from what i here -due to the slow sales of the Z06

BAD LS1
10-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by lotsals1
Um they have been doing this since 99 from what i here -due to the slow sales of the Z06

Didnt the Z06/LS6 first come out in 2001??

02hawk796
10-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
Didnt the Z06/LS6 first come out in 2001??

Aaahhhh...
But the WU6 RPO code for Firehawks started in 99. :D

BAD LS1
10-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 02hawk796
Aaahhhh...
But the WU6 RPO code for Firehawks started in 99. :D

Ok thats fine... But explain to me how that has to do with an LS6 block that was first put into production in 2001?? Dont mean sound like a smart A** but RPO WU6 what does that all entail??
Is that anything like RPO Y2Y which are cars that recieved SLP add ons that reflected in the window sticker like my car with the chrome wheels and exhaust?

Oh YEAH BTW !!! how do you like the Mustang parts they sell on www.slponline.com now?? They died with the F-Body as far as im concerned. Now SLP is in a legal battle with GM over the use of the "Judge" name for the new GTO. SLP wants to use the name for a model of the GTO they want to work over.

Tom

02hawk796
10-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
Ok thats fine... But explain to me how that has to do with an LS6 block that was first put into production in 2001?? Dont mean sound like a smart A** but RPO WU6 what does that all entail??
Is that anything like RPO Y2Y which are cars that recieved SLP add ons that reflected in the window sticker like my car with the chrome wheels and exhaust?

Tom

OK, relax, relax. I was the one being the smart A**! ME.
My lame, unsubstantiated hypothesis floated above was that perhaps all (cough) Firehawks from recent years had LS6 blocks put in. (I was thinking in terms of the Pontys, but the parallel implication would be that the SSs would also be equally fitted, as these would be the two flagship cars that would be compared to in the coming years/decades.) Then Tim said the comment referring to 99, and coincindentally, the Firehawks were produced again in 99, starting the RPO code WU6. Then you made the comment about later year start for the LS6, which did not align with my lame suggestion about an LS6/WU6 connection. So I made a smart aleck comment backing up my unfounded theory. I was being smart, sorry for any confusion. (I don't know who's correct about the years).
If that's what you wanted to know, disregard the following at will.
Seriously, you have an SS from 01 and you say a RPO code Y2Y. I really don't know the RPO's for the Camaros, sorry, but perhaps we could assume that Y2Y is the code for the SS package. I'm afraid that the extent of my knowledge on 01 SSs is the VIN data and it's relationship to built number data, and that some comparable options were shared between SSs and Firehawks (the 2 SLP F-bod products from 99-02). So let me refer to Firehawk info, and you can extrapolate from that (if you're really interested). If you then have further or more specific questions, I can try to answer, check, or refer elsewhere for you (again, if you are interested). I'm assuming you're aware of SSOA. The SS Owners Association seems to have their ducks in a row mostly.

The Regular Production Option code WU6 designates genuine production Firehawks during the 99-02 productions years. Several non-compatible option packages include WS6 (or RamAir), V6 engine, numerous appearance packages and colors, or NHRA Editions, CE's. This WU6 code denotes the "base content" for that year's Hawk, which I think changed from year to year, as did additional SLP option content. So, some things that were SLP optional content one year became standard base content for the next year's Firehawk option - I don't know the details, but could probably find out from those who know more than I.
In the 02 year, some things this included were: high performance/speed designation, requiring 160mph speedometers, chipsets & governors, drivetrain compatible with max-size tires, and the like; (continued)

02hawk796
10-30-2003, 07:40 AM
(continued) also, a power steering pump cooler was automatically added to the production order (apparently not available as a separate option, that I could tell) - I don't know if this cooler was included with WS6 or SS packages. Some additions like this cooler are not clearly stated in many places, and I've heard of other "uncredited" improvements that occured during production, which was where I germinated the idea of LS6 blocks being unofficially installed in these GM flagship cars. Anyhow, these were actions required on the production line.
Then SLP performed the upfit (for Hawks and SSs, and ASC Global did the WS6s) and the "take off" wheels, shocks, hoods, and other components were replaced by the upgrades.
The "base package" included in the WU6 code was unique hood w/air induction system, better suspension, 17" rims (vice 16") and 275 tires (vs. 245s), exhaust system, and badges, emblems, decals, labels. The price of this package went on the GM window sticker.
I've heard conflicting reports about whether the exhaust was installed on the GM line, or at SLP.
Additional SLP options (only available on Hawks - maybe SSs) included further upgrades to Bilstein Ultra-Performance suspension or 1LE (not avail on verts), wheel upgrade to Chromes, a rear diff upgrade to the Auburn/AAT diff, SLP max-functional Spoiler (more effective in the tunnel than the Formy or TA spoilers), and stuff like mats, car covers, etc. Hoods & intakes, exhaust, and tires were not options available for change prior to vehicle delivery. I think in 01 the Hurst shifter was an SLP option, but by 02 it was a GM option. These options were installed by SLP and were listed on the secondary SLP window sticker, along with charges and build number data.
After SLP upfit, GM inspected/QA'd the work and shipped them out with the other F-bods.

If your SS is all original delivery content, then I assume your hood and intake system, exhaust, and decals/emblems are part of your SS "base package"and your Chromes are an additional option, specified on your SLP window sticker. In 02, I think 2 Chrome options were available for SSs only - 5 spoke or 10 spoke - Firehawks were 5 spoke only. Your suspension could be base package, or an optional upgrade, specified on your build sheet (and other places on the car). If you have both of your stickers, I could be more specific perhaps.

Btw, I'm NOT AN EXPERT, but it seemed like you were asking for info. Hope that answers some questions.

And, I hope SLP has a long and prosperous business life.
Except for the useless car cover, I've been happy with my SLP content - the GM parts are another matter.
Ron.