PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this thought....

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I know its late, and work + Humidity today = Teh brain suxors

However....if i wanted to buy a bike for better Gas mileage would i really be getting anywhere. Small loan for the bike = Loan Intrest + new Licenses and fees + Value loss over the course of a year or so.

The only way to make out is to buy a reliable beater car, pay cash for it and hope nothing breaks over the year.

But if i have to take a loan to buy anything, im really not getting anywhere??? Due to the money paid for loan intrest = the same money saved for gas. Plus trying to resell a beater is hard as bawls.

70 cutlass 442
05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
just get a beater, my borther paid like $800 for his little 250 ninja, and its slow but he fills up like once a week and its only a a few bucks to fill it

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Theres my problem, i wouldnt be happy with a beater bike. I know its all about saving money, but i learned my lesson the first time around....Dont buy something you don't fully enjoy and love to ride/drive. I ride some pretty quick dirtbikes so 250 won't do it for me. But the idea is great!

badass88gt
05-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Enduro!!!

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Enduro!!!

Dont temp me, i already went in to offer trading in my yz125 for an aprilia SXV 450.

A buddy down the road has one, that he put mirrors and stuff on. And that thing looks like a blast!

badass88gt
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I want one bad. I used to ride bikes as a kid, it was a blast!

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Funny you brought this up, i didnt want to go with a rocket like my brother because i know i would have tickets coming sooner or later. And i love the Dirt bike/enduro feel. And the SXV's look so bad ass in all black! I think i might make a couple calls tomorrow just to see Prices.

badass88gt
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Go for it! You know you want one!

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
http://www.aprilia.com/modelli/road/modello.asp?id=75#

The all black one, but with rear blinkers is what i was looking at. Plus mirrors.

But i dont want to spend any more money :(

Car Guy
05-07-2008, 01:37 AM
If it's just to save on gas do the math and see if you'd come out ahead or not. If you want to get something just because you want it then you can't really look at the potential $$$ that you'd save.....

Case in point..........A neighbor of mine has a `03 Dodge Ram but HAD to get a new Honda Civic to save on gas :rolleyes: . First off he doesn't drive that much as he's retired, but even if he did the $18,000 he just spent on the new car would buy a whole lot of gas for his truck. Not to mention he now has another insurance payment and maintenance on top of it when it gets to that point.....

I tried showing him the dollars/cents POV but his old stubborn a$$ just couldn't see it. Granted it's hard to swallow $4/gallon gas @ 15mpg but in the long run he'd be better off just biting the bullet with what he has. The other thing that kills me with him is he refuses to do a tune-up on his truck which it desperately needs. Sure it'd be a couple hundred $$$ up front but he'd make that back in no time. 'Old'(er) people (sometimes) = :rolleyes:.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Breecher_7
05-07-2008, 05:15 AM

The all black one, but with rear blinkers is what i was looking at. Plus mirrors.

Very nice, i was looking at one of these myself. Aprilias quality is spectacular. I had a RSV 1000 a few years ago, great bike. Hydraulic clutch sucked balls though.

awsomeears
05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Theres my problem, i wouldnt be happy with a beater bike. I know its all about saving money, but i learned my lesson the first time around....Dont buy something you don't fully enjoy and love to ride/drive. I ride some pretty quick dirtbikes so 250 won't do it for me. But the idea is great!

Dude its called self control/common sense and just doing it because it makes sense !!!!!!!!!!!

You know you need to do the right thing ( not take a loan out, and purchase a $3,500 - $6,000 Bike ) and your pretty much saying it plain as day. But you are then being picky about what you drive. Maybe because its uncool to ride a CB350 or Yamaha RD350 but you know what your saving $$$$ that the other people are not.

Grab your nuts and stop dreaming of what you really want and buy a cheap dependable ( this is very realistic ) bike that will get you 40+ miles to the gallon and call it a day.

Yes it will be worth it !!!!!

If you take out a 5K loan it will take years to recoup that money plus the cost of gas. You can't take the license fee and registration into account, that just nature of the beast.

Just my thought !!!

I rode for 2.5 years and went through allot of Gas, loved every min of it !!!!
I miss it now but hey ill get a bike later in my life.

Cryptic
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
well if I got a bike that got 45mpg for say for $1000 bucks (something used).
I'm daily driving a 3/4 ton gasser that is getting 11-12 mpg.

IMO... It would pay for itself pretty quickly given the 30+ mpg @ 3.75/gal

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Very nice, i was looking at one of these myself. Aprilias quality is spectacular. I had a RSV 1000 a few years ago, great bike. Hydraulic clutch sucked balls though.

Any idea of what they cost? I might trade my Dirtbike in to help lower the cost. i've always wanted to get a rocket but never went through with it. But this would be the best of both worlds.

60hp @ 250lbs

versus my brothers F4i

90hp @ 375lbs

ASS KICKING bABY!:headbang

NINJA EDIT: Nvm i seen $8k for any 07 and 08's. Too much for this guy!

TraceDaddy
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Why not just make friends with someone who owns a gas station?

Oh wait....

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
LOL, low blow! I wish it worked that way! My parents were cool at first saying because of all the over time they would help catch part of my fuel tab.......well now they left me on my own even with the OT i put in and dont get paid for!

Gotta love working for family. All the little Cutie girls with their bathing suits make it worth it! Oh and of course seeing Larry everytime he comes in lol

Car Guy
05-07-2008, 01:06 PM
All the little Cutie girls with their bathing suits make it worth it!

Application please...!!! :drool:

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
If i get time, ill take some pics with my bro's phone. You missed the one that comes in all the time....Large C cups....string bakini...small little waist....beautiful latina....amazing

Car Guy
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
If i get time, ill take some pics with my bro's phone. You missed the one that comes in all the time....Large C cups....string bakini...small little waist....beautiful latina....amazing

So the application is in the mail then...??? :shades

SmokinRAM114
05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
i bought a nice shape 95 s10 std cab long box 5 spd 4 banger for $250 didnt run. i put $250 in parts in it and runs great, and 28mpg with the topper on boi! 24gal tank i havent put gas in it for 3 weeks. LOL i want a bike but the little truck i can drive in the rain and not be pissed off.

Smokey1226
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
ya you made out awesome with that deal!

SmokinRAM114
05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
ya you made out awesome with that deal!

u tell me u know people. come on now. you should be able to find something!! it was at my dads friends auto shop and the guy didnt want to fix it. obviosly $250 in parts at cost to put on is probly $1000 in labor lol. so i offered to buy it off the guy. i made out well

Prince Valiant
05-07-2008, 02:29 PM
What you've got to do is figure out how much a year you drive...

What your true gas mileage is...

How much you want to spend...

Get an accurate guess as to what kind of mileage you'll get...

...and how many miles you can actually drive it...

See what your savings are and figure if it's worth the expense of buying and financing it.

I basically did this when I bought the insight.

I was driving a jeep that averaged about 19mpg in mixed driving. I was driving 45,000 miles a year. At 3.00/gallon this was costing me $7,105 a year in gas.

So, I considered several cars: Volkswagon TDI, Insight, Neon's, etc.

With the insight, I figured (correctly it turns out) that I'd average ~ 60mpg.

So, at that rate, the insight would cost me roughly $2250/year in gas at 3.00/gallon.

That's a saving of 4850/year. (It's more since gas has gone up 25% too).

Found an insight for sale, high mileage, for $6200, nearly half of the typical going rate, with clean title, service records, etc. Sold my Jeep for 4800, pick up the insight with cash, and have come out WAY ahead.

If I had gotten a neon and averaged 30 mpg, it would have worked fine too...provided I paid alot less for the neon (say 3000).

The downside to the motorcylce is it only saves during the summer....and only when it's not raining. A car can be driven year round, in the snow, when you have passengers, on road trips, etc. I'm not sure if you can drive a motorcylce enough to pay for itself unless it's a few hundred dollars.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
^ Great explanation and as bad as it sucks we have to accept the era of cheap gas is over. Might as well get something you can use for awhile, I will have to wait some time before I can get my fuel pincher but am looking forward to it.
I think I will be going the TDI route.

lordairgtar
05-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Cool, and it ain't Japanese.

lordairgtar
05-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Gotta love working for family. All the little Cutie girls with their bathing suits make it worth it!lol
HMMMM, methinks I need a second job.

TraceDaddy
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
All the little Cutie girls with their bathing suits make it worth it! Oh and of course seeing Larry everytime he comes in lol

Snag one of those hotties and tell them we need a model. Need new pics of the car and a well fitting bikini would really make the shot.

I'll even let you watch.

:D

Smokey1226
05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
lol your always thinking about others aren't ya! I've got a couple that would be more than willing. And one of them....might be coming back to work for us! LUCKY ME LUCKY ME! lol

Al
05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I know its late, and work + Humidity today = Teh brain suxors

However....if i wanted to buy a bike for better Gas mileage would i really be getting anywhere. Small loan for the bike = Loan Intrest + new Licenses and fees + Value loss over the course of a year or so.

The only way to make out is to buy a reliable beater car, pay cash for it and hope nothing breaks over the year.

But if i have to take a loan to buy anything, im really not getting anywhere??? Due to the money paid for loan intrest = the same money saved for gas. Plus trying to resell a beater is hard as bawls.

Get a Honda Rebel, Metropolitan, or Ruckus.