PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember?

Voodoo Chick
05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I heard from many people that cruising Hwy. 100, and the various other "cruising roads" 20-30 years ago was awesome beyond words, and totally different from what it is now.Anyone out there old enough to remember those days? If so, do you have any stories to share?

CobraSnake
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
shit cruising hwy was awesome 9 years ago when I turned 16. It was completely different then it is now but, probably not to the degree of what your talking about.

Mark

michelle
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/scan0001-1.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/scan0002-1.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/scan.jpg

Waver
05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I started cruising 13 years ago, when I was 16....and man has things steadily declined over the years.....the biggest change was when I removed my self off of highway for a year...Things are just different now.....the people are different up there....Gone are the days of rolling up there with 30 other cars and knowing all of them, and knowing that if anything happened you would be o.k. Now things are a lot different....I guess it is just a different day in age....

I think the best way to sum it up is back when I started cruising the cool cars were the muscle cars, old skool muscle cars, camaros and mustangs, ect, and now it is Hondas, acuras, evos, eclipses, and STI's

jbiscuit
05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
things change I guess. There are still a lot of hot cars that frequent Highway 100 but things are different for sure.

Flicktitty
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Granted i have only been going out there for about 6-7 years now but i think it has changed for the worse as well. But there is still some sick shit that goes out there.

Nix
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
This day and age if you "run" someone for fun and you win you better keep going or shut up cause knowing these wanna be's you'll get shot for having a faster car.

I probably started cruising 13 years ago and yes it has changed much even for that short of time and like Flick said it has changed for the worse sadly enough.

CobraSnake
05-06-2008, 12:23 PM
This day and age if you "run" someone for fun and you win you better keep going or shut up cause knowing these wanna be's you'll get shot for having a faster car.

I probably started cruising 13 years ago and yes it has changed much even for that short of time and like Flick said it has changed for the worse sadly enough.

Your not cruising on capitol and thinking its hwy 100 are you?

Nix
05-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Your not cruising on capitol and thinking its hwy 100 are you?

Um, no. If you haven't noticed in the past years there has been a much larger amount of pieces of shit crusing around there. what was it? Last year someone was shot on hwy? Maybe it was two years ago, what it comes down to now is that some time ago you could take a nice car down there and roll around get some compliments and have a good time.

Now you have to be careful as hell to make sure none of the assholes flying up and down the road don't rearend or side swipe you.

If you park in a hangout area you also have to be watching your car at all times as well.

Its for sure not what it use to be.

That_Guy
05-06-2008, 12:33 PM
im not going to lie.. i started cruisen with my friends when i was 15.. im now 20.. and yes.. it has changed a shit ton.. maybe its all part of growing up... maybe its just the exponential amount of rice and p.o.s. cars that are rolling around... i know my car isnt a race car.. so i dont drive around like it is.. but there are a shit ton of people like that down there who havent come to terms with that.

GRNDNL
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I started driving in '81.....Hwy 100 and the Milwaukee Lake Front were the places to cruise. The lake front was just a drunk fest, they shut it down in 83 or 84 after a few people were run over and some aldermans son was killed. We also use to cruise Witnall park on Sat afternoons......

jbiscuit
05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
If you park in a hangout area you also have to be watching your car at all times as well.

Its for sure not what it use to be.

+1

Voodoo Chick
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I wish I could have experienced it all in it's "glory days," lol.......Michelle, thanks in particular for posting that article, it was very, very cool......:)

michelle
05-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I believe it was posted here a long time ago, so I can't take credit for it. I just saved it because I thought it was cool too.

PonyKiller87
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I started driving in '81.....Hwy 100 and the Milwaukee Lake Front were the places to cruise. The lake front was just a drunk fest, they shut it down in 83 or 84 after a few people were run over and some aldermans son was killed. We also use to cruise Witnall park on Sat afternoons......

When I was 7 or 8 I can remember going through Witnall Park on Sat. My dad would take the top off the K5 and we would go riding around looking at all the cool cars and trucks. Good times.:headbang

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
My cruising career has been from 95-99 03-Present and while the scenery (buildings) have changed on HWY 100 quite a bit. the cruising really hasn't IMO still 80% kids cruising in everything imaginable and 20% cars with some good power.

As far as shootings, there was a drive by shooting in Addison WI last week, people shoot other people everywhere.

Daytonapacecar959
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM

And Wisconsin Ave. When QFM was around they had bomb the ave. the Sat. night before memorial day.

70 cutlass 442
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
my dad said he cruised villard back in the 70s

lordairgtar
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Jeez, I was doing the 100 back in 82 when I moved back from California. There were short periods of time in the middle 70s when I came back for a bit and then went back to California. Had a 68 Buick Special 350, brown with white painted top, 2 door coupe. QFM on the radio, Pink Floyd in the cassette and talking on the CB radio as California Kid. Ah, the good old days.

Berettaspeed
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
well it was not long ago, but it was way better in 02ish..more people at "night" events and such. sometimes things would last till 3am. i miss those days, or should i say nights.

MurphysLaw88GT
05-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I was shot in the face on HWY100& Greenfield Ave. on the Northbound side by a paint ball gun a few years back.

CobraSnake
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I was shot in the face on HWY100& Greenfield Ave. on the Northbound side by a paint ball gun a few years back.

oh man I would've strangled someone bad.

Mark

That_Guy
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM
oh man I would've strangled someone bad.

Mark

hahaha... strangle is an understatement....

Karps TA
05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I used to be down on Hwy 100 constantly from around 88-93. I want to say it was probably 89 when they first really cracked down on the crusing and the signs went up. HWY 100 would be bumper to bumper from basically Beloit to Lincoln. Cops or barricades would be inbetween the medians to stop people from doing U-turns. Kids would be hanging out in the parking lot of the movie theater - I think that was Southtown?

When West Allis and Greenfield really cracked down on it, the strip moved for a weekend to Hales Corners. Which was fun cause my friends and I all worked at New Market. But HC cops shut that down quick.

CobraSnake
05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I used to be down on Hwy 100 constantly from around 88-93. I want to say it was probably 89 when they first really cracked down on the crusing and the signs went up. HWY 100 would be bumper to bumper from basically Beloit to Lincoln. Cops or barricades would be inbetween the medians to stop people from doing U-turns. Kids would be hanging out in the parking lot of the movie theater - I think that was Southtown?

When West Allis and Greenfield really cracked down on it, the strip moved for a weekend to Hales Corners. Which was fun cause my friends and I all worked at New Market. But HC cops shut that down quick.

Yeah it seems that the cops just got strict over the years. I'm sure the older guys and gals will tell you that you would have never had to worry about that back in the late 70s early 80s.

Mark

nismodave
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I remember the days........Late 80s early 90s........

Sam,Tina, Becky, Ross.......Man those were the days.

Lash
05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Screw hwy...

I would give me left nut to cruise Wisconsin ave. in the 60's.

nismodave
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone remember the Q cruises, sponsered by 93qfm?

Karps TA
05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Whitnall park used to kick ass way back then as well. It was a great place to spend the day instead of being in high school. The first nice day of spring and it would be packed. Tons of girls, great place to pickup women if you had a hot car. I got a couple loitering tickets in the park. Which is a nonsense ticket.

The QFM cruises were fun. Nothing like hearing open header cars downtown with the sound bouncing off the buildings. The DJ's pleading with people to stop putting bleach down at the stop lights.

Milwaukee friggen sucks nowadays. The community govt and police have completely taken the joy out of being young. And to think I thought they were a bunch of nazis back when I was 16-20 years old. Anytime you had more then 3-4 people together near Budget theater or anywhere on the HWY you'd end up with a cop telling you to leave.

Thanks, this thread make me feel old

GRAMPS SS
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
wow i started to cruise back in 197cough cough.....things will never be what they were back then....hell in 79 we had the NSRA Street Machine Nationals held here....you talk about fun....there were so many cars on the highway that summer for the nats that things got out of hand......street racing on the highway...burn out contests...and this was done by most people that did not attend the nats....that was the last year for that...we would sit with our cars in THE BARNS paking lot till way early in the morning.......OCCARS now...IT WAS BETTER WHEN IT WAS THE BARN....IMO the good days stopped around 81-82......the falls was a hot spot from 75-81..then they stopped it..the big hang out in the falls was KOHL'S FOOD STORE ...on appleton and menomonee ave...back in the falls the guys woukld race on calumet....when the road was almost new.... then tower....

i will never forget the memories i have of the highway from back then....

then...back in 1990 i hit the highway again..and met people like becky...sam...big mike...john with the brown chevelle...and many others...

now....we just sit in culvers because it has turned into such a shit hole..IMO...

and sure there are still many cars out there...bit most of the guys won't bring them to the highway...the guys i know anyways....

Deggy
05-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Wayne is old.

/thread :)

michelle
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Wayne is old.

/thread :)

Agreed xeleventybillion. (:

Trutildeathxxx
05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
wow i started to cruise back in 197cough cough.....things will never be what they were back then....hell in 79 we had the NSRA Street Machine Nationals held here....you talk about fun....there were so many cars on the highway that summer for the nats that things got out of hand......street racing on the highway...burn out contests...and this was done by most people that did not attend the nats....that was the last year for that...we would sit with our cars in THE BARNS paking lot till way early in the morning.......OCCARS now...IT WAS BETTER WHEN IT WAS THE BARN....IMO the good days stopped around 81-82......the falls was a hot spot from 75-81..then they stopped it..the big hang out in the falls was KOHL'S FOOD STORE ...on appleton and menomonee ave...back in the falls the guys woukld race on calumet....when the road was almost new.... then tower....

i will never forget the memories i have of the highway from back then....

then...back in 1990 i hit the highway again..and met people like becky...sam...big mike...john with the brown chevelle...and many others...

now....we just sit in culvers because it has turned into such a shit hole..IMO...

and sure there are still many cars out there...bit most of the guys won't bring them to the highway...the guys i know anyways....

I remember my dad(R.I.P.) telling me about this. It sounds like it was incredible. I really wish i was old enough to see the glory days of HWY and muscle cars.

GRAMPS SS
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Screw hwy...

I would give me left nut to cruise Wisconsin ave. in the 60's.

my brother was doing the ave back in the 60's with his 62 chevy Biscane....the frecking car flew...they also hit villard ave as welll the old A&W was the place to hang back then...both my bothers had some nice old muscle....from a 57 chevy to a 64 442......now my brother my one brother has a 62 Biscane that he has had since 1980.......but now it has been backed halfed and races at Nowack(sp) and Trails in Ohio........my oldest brother still has his 70 Road Runner that he bought when he came home from Nam,......it's a total POS...but he still has it....

AND I HAVE A FRECKING WAGON....no worries...you know with sean coming of age...and being the little gearhead that he is...there has to be something for him to get into trouble with....

Syclone0044
05-07-2008, 02:37 AM
I first hit HWY 100 in 2000 or 2001 but IMO what killed it was the Hollywood release of "The Fast and the Furious".

Voodoo Chick
05-07-2008, 02:39 AM
I agree totally. I think those movies had a pretty bad effect............

Rocket Power
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Anyone remember the Q cruises, sponsered by 93qfm?

Yep had my 83 Cutlass down there once.
I used to cruise back in the late 80's. Cool cars everywhere. Not a bunch of dinks driving like a-holes zipping in and out of traffic with loud mufflers and slow cars:goof
I remember doing 100 then 27th then appleton ave. My Parents used to cruise 100 back in the day

That_Guy
05-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I first hit HWY 100 in 2000 or 2001 but IMO what killed it was the Hollywood release of "The Fast and the Furious".

its so true now every kid with a civic thinks there the next dk...

b4mytm
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
When I was younger I went up there with my Dad from time to time.We also went through Whitnall quite a bit. That was when there were cars parked all the way through on both sides. In high school, before I could drive, My friend and I would go see movies at South Town.I made sure that her Mom would drop off and My Mom would pick up so that while waiting for my MOm we could hang out and watch the cars cruising ,then we took a lap with my Mom,lol....she had an '86 Monte SS so it was all good.
Then I got my Camaro and I hung out on the Hwy and Whitnall park....those were good times back in the late 80's and early 90's.
That is where I met most of my "car friends". Yup,met Dave,Wayne,Sam and Tina,Ross and many more up there.
Spent the day time in the park,went home for a couple of hours and then up to the Hwy.
Started hanging out at McD's on Layton and 100 and then BK (where I met Wayne and the Highway Knights car club was founded),then made my way up to Oscars.
I got myself a loitering ,cruising and imprudent and unreasonable speeding ticket up there.
I do have some pictures and videos from those days........alot of fun.

That_Guy
05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
When I was younger I went up there with my Dad from time to time.We also went through Whitnall quite a bit. That was when there were cars parked all the way through on both sides. In high school, before I could drive, My friend and I would go see movies at South Town.I made sure that her Mom would drop off and My Mom would pick up so that while waiting for my MOm we could hang out and watch the cars cruising ,then we took a lap with my Mom,lol....she had an '86 Monte SS so it was all good.
Then I got my Camaro and I hung out on the Hwy and Whitnall park....those were good times back in the late 80's and early 90's.
That is where I met most of my "car friends". Yup,met Dave,Wayne,Sam and Tina,Ross and many more up there.
Spent the day time in the park,went home for a couple of hours and then up to the Hwy.
Started hanging out at McD's on Layton and 100 and then BK (where I met Wayne and the Highway Knights car club was founded),then made my way up to Oscars.
I got myself a loitering ,cruising and imprudent and unreasonable speeding ticket up there.
I do have some pictures and videos from those days........alot of fun.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/motivator5367227.jpg

Prince Valiant
05-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah...I had a good time cruising back in 2000-2002 frequently. Never went to "roll" with friends, just to show up and get a few runs/whatnot. Would stop in Omega or something grab a burger and invariably people would ask about the valiant, or say how they saw it. Would always be a fun detour when coming back from the strip. My car was really for racing wannabe's cause I'd kill them when they invariably try to pick on the hick in the beater...and then, while I lost a few races to hot cars, for the most part even the loses were close and we had a good time and gave props to each other.

Best was racing 19-21 y/o who were in there dad's or had just had purchased for them something nice like a mustang cobra or GT, or in an LSf-bod...I could generally beat them on the street (full quarter was a tall order against the LS engines though...this was the first version of the valiant, so mid-13's were the order of the day). They would literally s**T bricks seeing my tailights. Seriously, one guy and there bud drove next to me for a 1/2 mile with their eyes barely in their sockets, and jaws on the floor after I ra*ed their buds brand-new WS6 Pontiac (again, full quarter would be tough, but I generally won the 1/8th mile even at the track).

Used to have alot of guys talk to me on the road in those days too...

I remember one race against a Civic Del Sol...tricked out, lowered, cool rims, etc. The passenger commented to me, while driving in front of boston market that I had a piece of crap as they passed by (I typically drove a little slower waiting for races rather than running in the same group all the time). So, I pulled up next and asked him to repeat what he said, to which he obliged.

So I asked "wanna run?"

"Don't even try...it's not worth it" was his reply (keep in mind, this is the passenger talking. The driver was just smirking like he was some bad@ss or something.

"Aw, sure it is...just think of how you can brag about it later..." was something along the line.

I heard him downshift and I indicated he could get the jump...I was pretty confident I could run him down.

And boy did I....wasn't even close. Within 5 seconds I was probably 3-4 lengths ahead. Hell, the exhaust note when I jumped on it startled the passenger.

That was one of my favorite kills...the kids became pretty respectfull afterwards, but still full of crap.

I remember I had a run against what I thought should be an easy kill...some gubber in a third gen camaro. We tied basically...but then he was shouting about how he was running me with a 305. Okay, yeah, right.

My first race on the hwy in the valiant was against, almost ironically, a Camaro LT1 and a 94-98 style Mustang GT. I actually didn't know what to expect, still wasn't done with the car (engine was there, but not all the pieces...gears and ignition still hadn't been done, it wasn't very well tuned, etc). The ease of the kill was the first indication that the Valiant was more than I had oringinally hoped for (I just wanted a mid-high 14 second sleeper that would surprise mustangs and what not).

Can't tell you how many times I broke something on the hwy...normally a shifter. Probably made a dozen roadside repairs...including the whole driverside rocker-arm assembly with pieces I just happened to have from a junk-yard run THAT DAY, lol.

Nix
05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Prince what color was your Valiant? Got a pic?

Prince Valiant
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
It was gold, 4 door...with rust and dents. Couple hilarious sticker in the back. Total beater...I'll see what pics I can find:

Courtesy of Wikked:

http://www.wikked.com/bcm/7-27-07/01.jpg

Best 60' time of 1.95 on those whitewalls...

Nix
05-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Noice! Sleeper indeed, however I don't ever remember seeing it back then. I may have ran you once or twice cause around the time you are tlaking I had my old 94 ltjuan and I thought I was the shiznit. :chair:

I remember getting beat down BAD by lil evo one time bewteen LAyton and Beloit, I thought hey this will be an easy win...:punch: I got my ass handed to me big time. Those were the days.

I also remember before I even had my license I would cruise around with my brother in his 83 Z28 and we ran a guy in a either primer or black car (can't remember what it was) but he beat us down bad. I just remember it had a gear drive I believe cause I saw no blower and it had a massive whine to it along with a huge ass tack right in front of the driver.

Memphis
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Cobalt_SSTuner/motivator5367227.jpg

Was there an actual meaning to your post?

Rocket Power
05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Was there an actual meaning to your post?

Why would he start now ?:rolf

Cutlass Queen
05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
My parents tell me about cruising Wisconsin Ave. back in the days. Sounded WAY better than hwy ever was. I can remember being thrown in the backseat with a pillow and blankets to sleep when my brother babysat me and wanted to cruise with friends. There were so many nicer muscle cars and old fashioned safe fun. It was cool back then......when I turned 16 and started cruising it I thought it sucked lol.

Racer X79
05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
When I was a kid, my parents would take us to Kitts Custard Stand(Captiol & 70th?) and then up to the Highway and cruise from Captiol to Layton and back. I remember it would take about 3 cycles of the stoplights at Cleveland and at National just to get through--3 lanes of traffic would be packed in as far as you could see. One Saturday night my brother raced a "new"(at the time-'86/'87) Buick Grand National with my Mom's '40 Ford 4dr. Sedan, and the same night at the next light my Dad raced a green '70/'71 Buick GS in his '41 Ford pickup and I though it was the greatest thing in the world(my Mom wasn't too happy...but it made a lasting impression in my 10 yr. old mind). When I started driving to Hwy 100 in '93 the Oscars, Omegas, BK, Southtown, and Red Carpet lots would all be packed on Fridays and Saturdays. You could race somebody as long as you were smart(sometimes we weren't :thumbsup) and not worry about going to jail or getting shot...at worst you would get a "Display of Power" ticket or a warning. I actually got a written warning for "Conspiring to Drag Race" once. We used to have a lot of fun and there were some pretty quick cars that would be out every night screwing around(to me, back then a high 11 to mid 12 sec. car on the street was FAST, now it seems like they're everywhere) and everyone kind of knew, or knew of eachother. It's different now, I'll take a lap on a Friday or Saturady night and what was once "groups" of 50-75 cars are now 5-15 cars, and if you actually do race somebody, your car can get impounded if you get caught. What about cursing on Hwy 164 in Waukesha or Hwy 18(Bluemound)? At least there aren't any "crusing prohibited" signs every 5 feet.....and alot of NICE stoplights too. Just a thought.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone remember when HOT ROD MAGAZINE named Hwy 100 1 of the top 10 cruising spots in the USA ? Mid to late 90's.

lordairgtar
05-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I remember when I DJd my first weekly cruise night at a Karen's Custard on Capitol Drive off HWY 100. I think I got paid $25 bucks. Started with a few cassettes and some home stereo stuff I threw together. I also remember the old Georgie Porgies in Oak Creek before the moved to the current location. Mel's Diner on Greenfield was another gig I DJ'd on Monday nights. I also remember the A&W on S27th across from the lumber yard. I got my start drawing cars there as well as the Rank & Son Buick annual show, about the only show I knew of then.