PDA

View Full Version : Operation "replace the clutch" is in motion

lit666
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Twigs car is being jacked up now. Atleast it's not my car. I'm a little concerned, not gonna lie. Never done a clutch or pulled a tranny so it's going to be a learning experiance.

Smokey1226
05-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Just remember one thing......If he asks you to pull his finger...dont do it! Thats all the help i have for you now.

Car Guy
05-06-2008, 10:25 AM
It's not brain surgery, just take your time and pay attention to everything that you're doing.....

One other thing that might help is to take pictures before ripping it apart. With a digital camera it’s very easy to do and you can take as many as the card can hold. I've done it on jobs that I knew weren't going to go back together right away and it can be a life saver.....:headbang :headbang :headbang

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

lit666
05-06-2008, 12:46 PM
now we're stuck, we have all the bolts out and can't get the tranny to dislodge from the motor, when we try shaking or jiggeling the tranny to pull away from the motor the whole motor twists and it wont' break loose.

Any ideas?

Prince Valiant
05-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Of course you've got the drive shaft off, and the trans cross member unbolted and everything is sagging down...the shifter is out and the like...correct? One thing you can do is use the floor or tranny jack to raise and lower the trans a bit...take it as high and as low as you can go. Make sure it's secure so it doesn't drop to the ground.

Want_Notch
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
A deadblow hammer is your friend.

You just need to be a little gentle

lit666
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Of course you've got the drive shaft off, and the trans cross member unbolted and everything is sagging down...the shifter is out and the like...correct? One thing you can do is use the floor or tranny jack to raise and lower the trans a bit...take it as high and as low as you can go. Make sure it's secure so it doesn't drop to the ground.

yeah all of that is done, we've shaken the crap out of it and it still won't budge.

lit666
05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
going back out in the garage, if you get any ideas, give me a shout, 414-477-5543

thx
Chris

MurphysLaw88GT
05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I have to do a clutch fork, as i did not do that when i was in there last time. i think it is bent a little. i wish i had just done that (30 some bucks) when i was in there last time. so do everything you can while you are in there

Breecher_7
05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
going back out in the garage, if you get any ideas, give me a shout, 414-477-5543

thx
Chris

Where are you guys? If your close I can come over and make this much easier. Clutch on a stang is probably the easiest clutch to do.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the dowel pins have corroded stuck to the transmission, you just need to pry it apart, I use some long screw drivers in between the trans case and the engine block, usually gotta start with a thin one on both sides then move to a thicker one which will usually pop one side off and the other usually is just a pull on the tail shaft away.
Must be an integral bellhousing. :chair:

Detachable bell T56 FTW. :thumbsup

Mr Twigbert
05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Where are you guys? If your close I can come over and make this much easier. Clutch on a stang is probably the easiest clutch to do.

NW side of milwaukee.. 10411 W. Sylvia St. or call Chris's cell.. 477-5543...

We've been working ALL DAY and can't get the tranny out.. Anyone available to stop over and give us some fresh ideas????

Please!!!

Yooformula
05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I think wings and beer will help.

Yooformula
05-06-2008, 05:22 PM
so did Beecher drop by yet?

lit666
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
negative

forest
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Im heading home from WB in about 2-3hrs I will come by and get it out for you. Forest 1-414-322-0280

forest
05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
just stop now while your ahead and not too frustrated and break somthing.... I will be there.

Breecher_7
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
so did Beecher drop by yet?

I cant make it. Sorry. Didnt get a chance to read this till about 6:45.

Looks as if forest is coming to the rescue though... :thumbsup

Mr Twigbert
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Woot it's out, thank you to everyone that called and offered to help, BCM comes through once again. Now just gotta get it back in.

I can't thank some of you enough.. Several of you guys called and offered advice, some offered to come out and help and some people w/ no automotive knowledge what so ever (Yoo) called and offered wings & beer.. That just says a ton and I can't thank you guys enough..

That was by far the worst project we have ever attempted.. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.. Well, maybe Coop because he's a complete smart ass.. I wanted to save a few hundred dollars but knowing what I know now I would have paid double what I was quoted for the job.. It was THAT bad!:flipoff2:

When it's time to put it in I will be contacting you Forest or Breecher.. And your time will not go unrewarded either! I just want this thing done.. And I promise I will NEVER work on my car again.. Maybe an oil change but then again I once drained the tranny fluid on the wifes FWD car trying to change the oil so maybe I won't do those either..:chair:

Reverend Cooper
05-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Damn cops,stick to donut munchin' lol

Breecher_7
05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Are you rebuilding the trans or just replacing the clutch?

Reverend Cooper
05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
sounds like they are rebuilding it, they worked on it all day.

Mr Twigbert
05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't cry easy these days.. It takes alot to make me cry.. Something like taking my ball or eating all the Cheetos.. But this project made me want to tuck my tail between my legs and go home..

And I don't eat donuts Coop! I do however have a weakness for Corona..

Mr Twigbert
05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Are you rebuilding the trans or just replacing the clutch?

New cluch and aluminum flywheel..

badass88gt
What was the problem?

Mr Twigbert
sounds like they are rebuilding it, they worked on it all day.

WoW.. Talk about hitting below the belt..

Good thing Chris doesn't have anything down there.. :chair:

badass88gt

Dont forget sealant and loctite.

Breecher_7
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM

Its not put back together yet?

The install is the easy part...

The last mustang clutch job I did was a 03 cobra. Mustang clutches are rediculously easy compared to others ive done. As long as things arnt rusted to shit....

lit666
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/lit_07/P1010112.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/lit_07/P1010113.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/lit_07/P1010116.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/lit_07/P1010114.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/lit_07/P1010115.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/lit_07/P1010117.jpg

forest
05-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice, just a bit cooked huh? Just call me up when you need it put in, I ALWAYS am going home through MW every night without fail, I could get it set in for you and you can finish the rest.......

Mr Twigbert
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
What was the problem?

Let me break it down for you..

1) The Haynes manuel was wrong.. It said there was 5 tranny bolts.. We took those out and tugged, twisted, shook and cussed at the tranny but it wouldn't budge.. Then, we found out there are actually 7 bolts and two of them are WAY hidden up on the top! This whole bag-o-crap cost us over 2 hours..

2) Then, the Haynes book said nothing about taking off the starter.. Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but it sure looked like it needed to come off to me.. Being a follower and not a leader I didn't want to disregard the book but eventually, 30 fukin minutes later, I decided to just take it off.. Which was the right thing to do..

3) Once we get the tanny pulled away from the motor it was getting cought on the firewall.. And we couldn/t drop the front of the tranny because the input shaft was still in the pressure plate thing.. It was a nightmare.. Finally Coop called and said to jack the front of the motor, which lowered the back of the motor and we had it out 5 minutes later.. But that took like 3+ hours..

That thing fought us the whole day.. If it wasn't the bigger problems listed above it was smaller stuff.. Just a pain in the ass..

forest
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I bet you will be good at it next time though....... haha

michelle
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Yikes! Hope you drank a lot of beer!

Reverend Cooper
05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
sorry twig, if I knew you guys were having trouble i would have called or stopped over on the way home,I told your stubborn ass at the retaurant if you needed help to let me know, I'm not a **** all the time,Just alotta the time, really I would have helped

Breecher_7
05-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Damn hiding bolts. I guess you learned not to trust the repair manuals. Ever see the guys that write those things? Basically they send the car off to a independent company, they disasemble EVERY part of whatever there writing the manual on then put it back together.

Doesnt suprise me they missed somthing.

Mr Twigbert
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Went out and took some better photos of the parts today.. I was so exhausted yesterday I didn't really look at how bad they were..

The car has 14k miles and the blower was added at just about 11k.. Soooooo, the clutch didn't take the abuse for very long..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01797-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01798-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01801.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01799.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01800.jpg

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
So what type of clutch are you putting back in ?

Reverend Cooper
05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
hopefully he says a centerforce dual friction and a firdanza flywheel aluminum of course

WickedSix
05-07-2008, 09:23 PM
You jimmy that thing back in there yet??

lit666
05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
parts arrive tomorrow. Firdanza aluminum flywheel and a spec stage 2+ kit.

badass88gt
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
You guys with the heavy cars running aluminum flywheels is interesting to me. Ive always been told to do the opposite, thats why I went with steel. I;m curious to see how it works out, for 60' times and how RPMs drop, stuff like that.

WickedSix
05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
You guys with the heavy cars running aluminum flywheels is interesting to me. Ive always been told to do the opposite, thats why I went with steel. I;m curious to see how it works out, for 60' times and how RPMs drop, stuff like that.

may the force be with you...inertia is on your side. For a street driven car i'd stick with steel too. Aluminum is nice for road racing or roundy round... but I would think it'd make a mustang all that much more finicky to drive around town.

Physics ftw :thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
wanna ride in my car,bet you cant tell what it has in it

WickedSix
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't think I could tell unless I had driven the vehicle with both... I had an aluminum flywheel in my toyota from lc engineering and it revved like a mofo but stop and go was the pits :(

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I need to do a clutch in mine sometime, I want to do it while it still moves.
I will be using a steel flywheel.
Havent decided on a clutch yet.

badass88gt
05-07-2008, 11:12 PM
wanna ride in my car,bet you cant tell what it has in it

I have you jerk. You missed my point.:goof

Wicked expanded on it. As for track results, a friend of mine ran both, he told me which performed better but I forgot.

badass88gt
05-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I need to do a clutch in mine sometime, I want to do it while it still moves.
I will be using a steel flywheel.
Havent decided on a clutch yet.

Call Walt at Promotion Powertrain, he will hook you up.

Syclone0044
05-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Great pics TwigBert! Always fun to see some parts destruction. :thumbsup

ponyride00
05-09-2008, 01:29 AM
The tranny isnt bad besides the two top bolts. I have the Spec stage 2. Youll like it.

Waver
05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Well if you guys need any help putting it back in, I have spent a little bit of time under a mustang or 2 doing whole engine swaps with tranny's ect in foxes (different I know, but how different can they really be?)

70 cutlass 442
05-09-2008, 11:39 AM

with a blower that most likely will not be in issue...

forest
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM

+1

Mr Twigbert
05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
***Update***

Lit and I set out today to replace the TOB, pilot bearing, install the flywheel and cluch..

Well, I got called by work and told not to come in till 8 PM so we kept moving forward..

As it sits now everything is in but the exhaust and tranny fluid.. I have to hit up Ford for a new exhaust gasket and hit up Autozone for the tranny fluid..

The day wasn't w/o problems though.. We got the TOB in and started on the pilot bearing.. Well, it didn't want to come out.. We didn't have a puller so the Haynes book said to fill it with grease and take something that is similar size to the hole and hammer it in.. Thus, the grease that was inside would force the bearing out.. Well it didn't :flipoff2:.. So, off to AutoZone I went.. Got there and ran into another problem.. There were three guys working.. 1 guy who seemed less than happy to be there who was helping other customers, 1 guy who clearly had a serious mental handicap and 1 guy who knew less about cars than I do.. Needless to say I got stuck w/ the dumbass who didn't know anything.. Well he helped me just enough to rent the puller but only half of it.. Thus, I left and hit up the local hardware store to purchase a big ass bolt to screw into the end of the puller, which would allow us to beat on the end of it to get it out.. Well I went back to the house and tried my theory.. It didn't work:argue.. So, Chris hopped in his truck and hit up Advanced Auto and returned with the exact tool we needed.. I was pumped.. I through that motha fuka on and started to crank on it.. Annndddd, the tool broke :nutkick.. I was pissed.. Soooo, we hopped back in the car and went back to Advanced to get ANOTHER tool.. I just knew this piece-o-crap would break again so we hit up another AutoZone to see if we can get the slide hammer for the first puller we got.. They had it so back to the house we went.. With in about 5 minutes the bearing was out :banana.. We start to move forward w/ the flywheel and find out we need to press in the dowels:puppyeyes.. The instructions suggested a vice but I ain't got one of them so back to the store we went.. We hit up Advanced and AutoZone to drop off their tools and a hardware store to get a good size C-clamp.. Got back home and from there things were better.. But sometimes you take 1 step forward and like 6 steps back..

Question: The tranny fill port is on the side of the tranny and I have no idea how to fill it seeing I can't tip a funnel up there to pour it in.. Do I need some sort of hose and pump or can I dump it in the top by the shifter?

Breecher_7
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Hand pump.......

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Dump it in the shifter hole till it comes out the side fill plug, then its full.

Thats sucks what you went thru with the pilot bearing, unless they are chewed up or have 8 million miles on them I usually just throw a dab of grease in there and run em. I have never had the old grease trick work, thankfully I have never broke the 2 finger puller either.

badass88gt
05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Like they said, either a pump or fill it through the shifter. You can also get a hose from the bottle to the fill plug, but you need a cap like what comes from the gear lube bottles.

badass88gt
05-09-2008, 09:38 PM

With a blower I would think its better with a steel flywheel? The steel stores the inertia better than an aluminum, thus keeping the RPMs higher between gears and not allowing them to drop and get out of boost.

Reverend Cooper
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
^ wrong blower helps get and keep it moving then it revs faster due to being lighter

STANMAN
05-09-2008, 10:43 PM
hopefully he says a centerforce dual friction and a firdanza flywheel aluminum of course

He can't copy everything us S197 guys do, can he????:rolf

STANMAN
05-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Also, FWIW, I run an aluminum flywheel with no driveability problems around town:thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
05-09-2008, 10:45 PM
yeah, your right, you cant copy all that fast and good looking we have bob

GTSLOW
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Dump it in the shifter hole till it comes out the side fill plug, then its full.

Or just measure what you need and pour that much in. Thats how I did my T56.

Reverend Cooper
05-11-2008, 08:59 AM
well does it run and drive or what?

Mr Twigbert
05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
well does it run and drive or what?

Yup.. Lit & I finished it yesterday.. Not 1 single issue.. The clutch works fine, grabs nice and no extra noises or vibrations.. Although, I'd like someone skilled to test drive it and make sure the clutch grabbs where its supposed to.. It feels like its grabbing too high if you ask me.. I can let it out pretty far before it actually grabs and I thought the fractory one grabbed sooner..

We estimate we had about 20 hrs of work time wrapped up in this project and everyone said it sould have taken a skilled person 5 hrs..

We were asked to do some brakes, serp. belt, and some other stuff on a restaurant owners van.. Well we got so cocky after finishing my car we said sure we can do it.. And we did w/ no problems.. As payment we have a ALL YOU CAN EAT KING CRAB DINNER, APPETIZERS AND ALL WE CAN DRINK BEER on the house.. Ohh yes, were gonna tear that chit up tonight..