PDA

View Full Version : Any good carb people in the area?

Karps TA
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm having issues this spring, that I'm not figuring out. I've taken my Demon apart twice now and I'm stumped.

The car will start up but barely run. Give it any amount of gas and is sputters and dies, usually with a quiet backfire thru the carb and a bunch of smoke. I'm guessing there's something inside the carb I'm missing.

I did a crap job of putting the car away last fall. I thought I'd use it more but didn't so it basically got no winterization. I'm sure the crap gas we have has something gummed up.

JC70SS
05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Call Clint @ C&S. Tel him Joe told you to call. He may be able to help you out.

GRNDNL
05-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Check the timing.......

Karps TA
05-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd love to if I could get it to run long enough. Besides that the car ran fine last fall. Nothing has changed cept shitty gas sitting in it for 6 months. I can't imagine that the timing could have changed.

I'll give C&S a call.

Reverend Cooper
05-04-2008, 03:39 PM
did you drain al; of the old gas out? and does it have new good gas in it? talk to Ron juicedimpss he can help you out and he isnt to to far from you

Karps TA
05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
LOL, yes I drained the old gas. And I even remembered to put new gas in it.

Seems to me the it's getting too much gas. I've jagged around with everything I know, which admittingly isn't much.

Reverend Cooper
05-04-2008, 03:53 PM
did you check the float level? is there a sight glass the carb to see that without opening it up.

Karps TA
05-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Yep, float level looks fine.

Prince Valiant
05-04-2008, 05:22 PM
You're pretty close to me...if you and Ron have a tough time hooking up, I could pinch hit. I'm pretty busy this week, but if you're up past 8:30pm or so, I could swing by and go through it too....

Karps TA
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
3rd strike, I'm out.

I'll gladly take anyones help who can/ wants to.

GRNDNL
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Disconect the fuel supply and start it using a squirt bottle with gas in it, if its a carb problem it should run......Still sounds like the timings retarded......

jbiscuit
05-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Did you check your fuel filter? Maybe it got clogged up with sediment from the tank? Check that....also do like Keith said and try running it right from a bottle with gas in it. It has to be something simple if the thing ran fine when you put it away.

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
i could take a peek at it,but im tied up until next week.

Karps TA
05-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm going to double check the dist position to make sure nothing is goofy there. I can't imagine why the timing would change though.

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
is the accelerator pump shooting fuel through the squirters?

Karps TA
05-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Yes.

What will happen is it will start but then sit there and only idle at like 500 rpms. Sometimes it will surge while trying to run. But again it's barely running.

Then if you give it any kind of gas it falls flat on it's face, gas sprays out of the top of the carb and there's a big puff of smoke.

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 11:29 AM
have you cleaned the air bleeds?

Karps TA
05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Man, I went thru the carb and sprayed every hole I could find with carb cleaner till the stuff came out another hole. Then sprayed air thru it as well. I can't imagine I missed any orifice in the damn thing. And seeing as I had no idea where some holes lead, I've got a shirt drenched in carb cleaner as the proof. lol

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Man, I went thru the carb and sprayed every hole I could find with carb cleaner till the stuff came out another hole. Then sprayed air thru it as well. I can't imagine I missed any orifice in the damn thing. And seeing as I had no idea where some holes lead, I've got a shirt drenched in carb cleaner as the proof. lol

:rolf
been there.
does it seem like its loading up with fuel,or a lean sneeze/bog?

Karps TA
05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd lean more to the lean sneeze/bog. But it's spraying alot of fuel thru the top of the carb. I didn't put the carb on upside down, so that's not it. lol

In the past I've had some issues with it "loading up" and it was always something I could throttle thru so to speak. But this won't let me give it any gas what so ever. I can't even turn up the idle without it puking gas back at me.

Prince Valiant
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Did you touch the idle mixture screws?

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd lean more to the lean sneeze/bog. But it's spraying alot of fuel thru the top of the carb.

:confused from where?

badass88gt
05-05-2008, 12:13 PM
After you cleaned it up, did you start from scratch setting your idle up, meaning adjusting the transfer sluts, mixture screws, etc?

How about some of the little things that may have been overlooked? Are the linkage arms resting on top of the acc. pump arms like they should be, not one fell down?

Is the fuel coming out of the vent tubes?

Karps TA
05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Did you touch the idle mixture screws?

Originally no. But then I set them to baseline of 1.5 turns out. I've tried adjusting them while it's "running" but they don't seem to do be doing much to help.

Linkage is free and clear.

The gas sprays upwards in a mist from the venturis it looks like when it "backfires". Backfires doesn't seem to be the right term to use though. it's more of a puff, then a backfire like you get when having a dist 180 off.

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
what kind of distributor in the car?
hei?
sounds like the symptoms of a wacked out ignition module

Karps TA
05-05-2008, 01:12 PM
HEI. And that's actually something I was considering.

I originally thought this was due to bad gas. Cleaned carb out, replaced gaskets, same issue.

so then I thought maybe iginition. Took a look at the cap, and one of the terminals was discolored and not shiney like the other. Replaced the cap and rotor. Same issue.

Checked the plug wires, found 2 of them stressed from header heat, replaced plugs and bought new wires. Same issue.

Went back to thinking it's the carb. However, part of me still thinks it's spark related.

So I was think to first double check the timing. Pull the distibutor to make sure I don't have maybe a worn bronze gear? But maybe I should swap out the module as well?

I just didn't want to randomly throw parts at it. I also was planning on popping the valve covers to make sure I don't have like a stuck open valve or something.

Prince Valiant
05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, not convinced it's the carb....

juicedimpss
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
HEI.
I just didn't want to randomly throw parts at it. I also was planning on popping the valve covers to make sure I don't have like a stuck open valve or something.

i would pull the module and bring it with you to the parts store. Most of them have a tester to check them.