PDA

View Full Version : Subi Brat, turbo thru hood

Russ Jerome
05-03-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMDCVKVjUc&feature=related

slickwilly
05-03-2008, 05:06 PM
This is a Turbonetics T62, and it flows massive amounts of stuff into the front thing on the front of the car.

And before that he said it has a 100hp nitrous kit, but the guy said that it makes 420 off nitrous and 470 with it. wtf.

Car Guy
05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
That is exactly what I've been thinking of doing with an 'older' Subaru, or just buy one already done. My first car was a FWD `87 5-speed two-door hatchback Subie that was as reliable as the sun rising in the west.....

Don't know what it is but your first car is something you never forget.....:headbang

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

ND4SPD
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
.... bard sahcked into turbah... turbah ruined. :D

Russ Jerome
05-03-2008, 07:07 PM

And before that he said it has a 100hp nitrous kit, but the guy said that it makes 420 off nitrous and 470 with it. wtf.

Sounded like those were RWHP numbers, actual at the wheel.
Parasitic loss thru the trans and AWD system, timing retard
when spraying and other factors doesnt make that too out
of line for true gain at the wheels.

Just a neat car I thought, just to run up to Taco bell with :)

Car Guy
05-03-2008, 07:24 PM
.... bard sahcked into turbah... turbah ruined. :D

I was thinking the same thing, why in the hell do people do that...??? Sure it looks nice but I'd rather have a properly working turbo opposed to a fly/bird catcher, which would result in a NON-properly working turbo.....:goof

slickwilly
05-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Sounded like those were RWHP numbers, actual at the wheel.
Parasitic loss thru the trans and AWD system, timing retard
when spraying and other factors doesnt make that too out
of line for true gain at the wheels.

Just a neat car I thought, just to run up to Taco bell with :)
It's definitely a sweet car, I just wasn't a fan of the reporter. :D

Didn't figure the kit would lose quite that much power getting to the wheels, I thought parasitic loss was around 17% or so for a rwd manual.

ND4SPD
05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing, why in the hell do people do that...??? Sure it looks nice but I'd rather have a properly working turbo opposed to a fly/bird catcher, which would result in a NON-properly working turbo.....:goof

I can see doing it on the dyno... but anywhere else... yeah all you need is for a rock/pebble to be kicked up just right...

slickwilly
05-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I can see doing it on the dyno... but anywhere else... yeah all you need is for a rock/pebble to be kicked up just right...
There was a R&T standing mile test and Hennessey showed up with a TT convertible SRT10. Ran it without filters, it sucked up a pebble and ended it's day. On the cover shot, you can see the oil blowing out the one side of the car.

torque.hit
05-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Just from a visual perspective, its kinda cool to see a turbo popping through the hood like a roots blower would.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Pretty neat, havent seen a Brat in ten years here in da rust belt.

Russ Jerome
05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
For a drag car it makes all the sense in the world
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/4inchdownpipe%20002.jpg
Hold your hand out the window at 90+ mph :)

I'll probably have a small screen on it when not at the track but I
purpose built that header for the 1320.