PDA

View Full Version : Yovani Gallardo OUT for the season...

Nix
05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080502&content_id=2626576&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Big trouble now... :fire This really hurts the Brewers as a whole and the word is Dave Bush (shivers) will or already has been re-activated.

Karps TA
05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Bush doesn't bother me. He has like 1 bad inning that kills him all the time. Yost just needs to do a better job of getting him out when the trouble starts instead of burying him.

I still rather have Gallardo. But Bush doesn't frighten me that much.

Prince Valiant
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
meh...the fact that he played after the injury suggest that he may be a canidate for going sans surgery. Many individuals have done this with good sucess, it all depends on the stability of the knew w/o the ACL, which in a small percent of the population is pretty good.

Let the swelling go down, put a nice brace on him, and turn him loose would be my first inclination. If he does alright, that could get him through the season and operate the day after it ends.

Sadly, many doctors tend to be hyper agressive with high end athletes as they (not totally incorrectly) believe that the athletic knee can't live without total stability...however, this guy is a pitcher, not a wide reciever.

DirtyMax
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Bush was a 12 game winner each of the last 2 seasons. No other Brewer pitcher can lay claim to that. I think he'll be OK.

Flicktitty
05-02-2008, 04:26 PM
meh...the fact that he played after the injury suggest that he may be a canidate for going sans surgery. Many individuals have done this with good sucess, it all depends on the stability of the knew w/o the ACL, which in a small percent of the population is pretty good.

Let the swelling go down, put a nice brace on him, and turn him loose would be my first inclination. If he does alright, that could get him through the season and operate the day after it ends.

Sadly, many doctors tend to be hyper agressive with high end athletes as they (not totally incorrectly) believe that the athletic knee can't live without total stability...however, this guy is a pitcher, not a wide reciever.

i would say do that if he was a little bit older (like sheets). but if you do that you risk doing more damage then just going with surgery, and the fact that he's so young makes surgery look like a better option

Prince Valiant
05-02-2008, 04:57 PM
i would say do that if he was a little bit older (like sheets). but if you do that you risk doing more damage then just going with surgery, and the fact that he's so young makes surgery look like a better optionLike I said, many MD's will agree with your reasoning...however, the risk of further damage/wear n' tear from one season is probably low especially if adequately braced, though significantly higher than with a proper functioning ACL, true.

Look at Phillip Rivers...he played with a torn ACL, less than two weeks after tearing it. They went in, removed the bloody stump of the ACL that was left (it could have gotten pinched during activity, very painful) and he was back on the field with a brace for the play-offs. Had surgery right after the season ended.

Like I said, he's prove that his knee doesn't significantly "pivot-shift" during the demands he places on it (it's that pivot-shifting that'll increase the risk of tearing his meniscus or doing damage to the articular cartilage) and a brace to prevent hyper-extension (put a stop-lock on it for -10 degrees for greater stability) and play out the season. They might determine that the benifits to playing aren't worth the risk (his agent CERTAINLY won't) but they may. I bet this is being discussed right now.

Nix
05-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I will believe Bush is capable when he shows it. Im talking about the Bush of this year not the past. During spring training he pitched like garbage and the only reason he was included in the starting rotation was cause of Guallardo recovering from having his knee scoped.

I know he is capable of pitching well but he has yet to prove it this year. Im not saying he blows goats and he should get out of Dodge. We know what he is capable of good and bad, thus far it has been less than stellar. :)

PB86MCSS
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
however, this guy is a pitcher, not a wide reciever.

I hope you're right but if you think about it or go through a pitching motion, you'll realize how important the legs are to a pitcher. Balance, pushing off, etc...underrated by many.

Better than an arm injury though, heh.

He'll be missed, probably will cost them 4-5 games unless Bush or Weaver overachieves. If Sheets goes down too (inevitable) they're probably hosed unless the Cubs fall apart.