PDA

View Full Version : Its Hypothetical Friday Mothasuckas!

jbiscuit
05-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Its still RANDOM Friday but lets hypothesize for a second......Here is the scenerio:

Gas is $6/gallon

How will your driving habits change? Will you think about taking the bus to work/school/the mall etc....How will our economy change? Will crime at gas stations go up, IE drive-offs etc? Will the government regulate how much gas each household can use?

Your thoughts?

juicedimpss
05-02-2008, 09:36 AM
im goin to invest some money in locking gas caps.

jbiscuit
05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I could see people getting crazy if this continues.....a mother of 3 in Indiana got arrested for syphoning gas out of her neighbor's SUV. I can see drive offs go through the roof even this summer.

spindler27
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
i get about 30mpg, so maybe i get a mazda or toyota getting 40-45mpg, i still may do it either way, can you imagine putting 45 bucks in the tank and getting 540 miles to the tank!

juicedimpss
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
that doesnt shock me at all,and im actually surprised that is not being done more often.

Mr Twigbert
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Well the wife would keep her mini-van but I'd go out and buy a SMART car.. Regardless of how gay I looked..

http://www.freefoto.com/images/29/35/29_35_19---Smart-Car_web.jpg

USMARINE1108
05-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Well the wife would keep her mini-van but I'd go out and buy a SMART car.. Regardless of how gay I looked..

http://www.freefoto.com/images/29/35/29_35_19---Smart-Car_web.jpg

That thing needs a turbo!

moels
05-02-2008, 10:01 AM
As gas prices go up, so shall the price of all other goods and services. It will squeeze the average person into the poor house. This country is going to hell. It's a shame, but at this point I am going to tell my kids to never have kids.

Oh yeah, I am looking at getting a motorcycle for summer.

jbiscuit
05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
good point on the good and services...the price of your bananas will go up, the price of your Nikes will go up. One thing is good though, my "cost of living" raise should be about 25% this fall, :rolf

juicedimpss
05-02-2008, 10:14 AM
good point on the good and services...the price of your bananas will go up, the price of your Nikes will go up. One thing is good though, my "cost of living" raise should be about 25% this fall, :rolf

i made a joke about that at one of our last meetings when they finished telling us we are having a record year......that flew over like a lead balloon...haha

jbiscuit
05-02-2008, 10:17 AM
ha ha ha ha.....I'm going to ask my boss when I should expect to see my raise....a brother needs bananas and milk DAMN!

Crawlin
05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
i bought my bike. that doubled my mpg :)

i have no problems riding in rain. i've ridden in a hail storm before.

but yes, I see at $6/gal, ALOT of things changing. prices of goods going up, which means that because we are a "keep up with the Jones" society, that will lead to people demanding raises. which will lead to products going even higher in price, OR that worker actually quiting, only to find out that the jobs for new-hires will be paying less as the company tries to keep overall costs down to keep product costs down. which will lead to people behind on bills, ******* up their credit, more bankruptcy's happening, etc...

i see people that are on the blurry edge of financial security, finding very hard times when they come to trade in that huge SUV on a smaller car for the better MPG, only to find out that trade in values on the trucks/suv's are horrendous right now, so they will be running into big negative equity being put on the new car. only to have a higher car payment than originally, a higher interest rate because of the absurd loan to value ratio, and they would have been better off keeping the truck. but consumers don't think that way

Yooformula
05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
my car would SIT for a long ass time when gas hits those prices. I will end up with a small 4cyl SOON and the even the family vehicle will get dumped in favor of something more economical when its time comes. I only wish the raises went up as fast as gas prices!

Yooformula
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM

Twiggy, car not needed in your case!:goof

Crawlin
05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
the BEST part about things, are the dealerships will prosper... auction prices for similar trucks that were going through 2 months ago, have dropped about $1800 on average. So once the election is over and the democrats are in office, gas prices will drop back down to around $2.00/gal because of all of their ingenious ideas and programs that they said would fix it and the Bush's won't have control since it's all about money to them. Right Democrats? :rolleyes: So when that happens and the trucks we have go up $2000 in value, BIG MONEY time :)

Yes that was a LOAD of sarcasm.

Karps TA
05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't see $6 gas coming. The country would completely shut down at that point. People wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything, and that would cause mass job losses. The country would crumble.

It's not like gas prices are the way they are because there is a shortage of oil. Alot of this current increase is because our dollar is so devalued investors are gorging themselves on commodities. Not too mention that if gas prices got higher, there would be less demand, causing an increase in supplies.

Heck I noticed gas was down today. I just paid $3.67 this morning at a station that was $3.79 early this week.

Junky Giorgio
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd buy a moped/scooter haha

Yooformula
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I paid $3.99 yesterday and just about a year ago werent we barely touching $3.00 a gallon? At this rate I could easily see $5-6/gallon in less than 5 years.

juicedimpss
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I paid $3.99 yesterday and just about a year ago werent we barely touching $3.00 a gallon? At this rate I could easily see $5-6/gallon in less than 5 years.

absolutely correct.

05caddyext
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Wouldn't change a thing.

T-Bag
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I would have to start driving my bike more often and ditch this fair weather riding shenanigans haha.

I don't have public transportation near me as I live on the outskirts of Menomonee Falls, but my car isn't TOO bad on gas...23 mpg mixed...but then again it runs on premium. I can't see myself trading in for a car better on gas because the value of mine has already dropped tremendously and I would already be MORE upside down.

I wish I would have kept my Blazer for the very reason Chris was talking about above :(

That_Guy
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
if gas prices get that high.. i would probly car pool a shit ton or take advantage of public transportation . shift at 2500

move to alaska and start drilling for oil, shooting any hippy liberal douchebag in my path

jbiscuit
05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I think $5/gallon isn't too far off honestly. I still think we will be over $4/gallon Memorial Day weekend. I mean why should it stop where it is? We have proven that we will pay $4/gallon.....not much has changed. With record profits every quarter, why wouldn't Big Oil Companies shoot for the moon?

Karps TA
05-02-2008, 10:59 AM
That's my point though. And maybe I'm niave that the people of this country still have some balls left and haven't gotten completely whipped and beaten. But for the country to be pushed into a depression - which is what our economy would go into at $6 gas - that we as people wouldn't stand to see oil company's have PROFITS of $10 billion a quarter and still get things like tax breaks and other govt funded benefits. Or that our elected officials continue to not allow oil to be taken from our own land and rely almost enitrely on foreign oil instead of easing the burden here.

And I don't want to hear the arguement that other countries pay $8 a gallon for gas. Cause #1 some countries pay $.40 a gallon too. And #2 some countries eat bugs and live it huts. As America we're suppossed to have the best and the cheapest. It's why we exist.

forest
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I already bought a 91 nissan sentra, for 300.00 8 weeks ago, its a COMPLETE POS, that gets no less than 30mpg and as high as 38mpg so far. Next I will be tuning it up with free/cheap $hit to get even better than 38mpg. I drive from N/B to milwaukee, Milwaukee to WestBend, and then Westbend to N/B evry day, 7 days a week. I spent 680.00 in fuel in the buick one month, and couldn't take it anymore. now Im down to about 250.00 per month, and looking for 200.00 haha. I am even looking into alternative fuels with this car to see how cheap it can really get. And when it breaks, Ill do it all over again with another car. Gas sucks

Flicktitty
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Gas drive offs just down here in Delavan are 2-3 a day and thats a town of 9000 i couldn't image up there. And to think were about 10-20cents cheaper here as well.

i would be getting a 4cyl car or even a moped.

Voodoo Chick
05-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I would still drive my cars, they are the best, most pure joy in my life, and no price would get me to change that. Granted I would live on ramen noodles for the rest of my days, but at least I would be happy. I don't have kids or a house, though, so I am able to funnel every penny into car parts and gas. I am very thankful for this!!

nismodave
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I would run less boost.

michelle
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I would buy a motorcycle. And cry. A lot.

Rocket Power
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Its still RANDOM Friday but lets hypothesize for a second......Here is the scenerio:

Gas is $6/gallon

How will your driving habits change? Will you think about taking the bus to work/school/the mall etc....How will our economy change? Will crime at gas stations go up, IE drive-offs etc? Will the government regulate how much gas each household can use?

Your thoughts?
I will wish I would have done the 62 f-85 quad 4 instead of 64 Cutlass 455.
Price of everything will continue to go up. Gas stations will get smart and make all pumps prepay. We will only get that reg if a dem wins and keeps the house and senate. And Jim "Taxes give me wood" Doyle will tax the oil companies more in state which will get passed on to us and it'll be $7 here and $6 in the other 49 states

GRAMPS SS
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
well at the prices right now...i have to pay them...i'm in sales ..have to get to the customers...phones calls just don't cut it..or fax machine...even looking at an exploder to take the place of the wagon.....need to eat...you have to get to work to make the cash...as far as goods going up...good point wayne....but our prices for the stuff we sell actully have gone down so biz is up.....ron i'll invest with ya on the locking caps....

Smokey1226
05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
And Jim "Taxes give me wood" Doyle

Shoot his arse

Silver350
05-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I dont think mine will change much. Although we are now starting to get car pools going for our softball games during the week to save a little in gas money

Prince Valiant
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
My driving habits wouldn't change at all. During the summer I bike to work for exercise. A fill-up in the insight at that price would be about 50 bucks. I could go roughly 650 miles on that tank.

As far as the effects of gas at that price, yep, many goods prices would go up...as noted ad nauseum. Another consequence would be fast food, and many mid-level restaurants (chili's, applebee's, olive garden) would take a huge hit as their customers would cut out eating out to save some money. That would be the price point at which people WOULD actually start riding the bus with regularity, car-pooling, etc (notice, that has really yet to happen en masse).

I also think you'd see the popularity of the suburbs decrease....but only some. Many who actually work in the city may look to live closer to work. However, more companies actually locate themselves in the suburbs too...so I think you'd see more localizaiton of the work force.

Places like the Dells, Disney, Busch Gardens, many Resorts/vacation destinations would also feel a huge pinch as the 1-3G/year that kind of price increase would require a year would need to come from someplace...and those are easy expenditures to cut.

I think you'd see more cabins up north for sale...less fibs coming through, which wouldn't be a bad thing :D

But honestly, a price jump like that would be relatively short lived...that probably WOULD be the price it would take for people to, not idiotically go after "big oil", but to petition gov't to stop arbitrarily reducing supply by disallowing drilling and to deregulate refineries so as to make it simpler to bring new ones online. Finally people would begin to balance the sometimes unhinged claims of environmentalist, with the reality of the price they pay and the impact on the economy.

You can see the effects and battles current prices have caused...in CO, I observed numerous (7-8) temporary drills right off I-70 west of Glenwood Springs, taking advantage of the fact that each barrel brings in nearly 115 bucks. And even though the common man feels the pinch, the Aspen papers were lamenting the affect that the few drills might have on deer and elk feeding patterns :rolleyes:

It should be noted though that while oil has increased it's profits yet again, it's profit "at the pump" actually went down significantly. It's profits are fuel by the fact that last year, oil was in the $70-$80/ barrel range, and now it's hit as high as 125/barrel.

wikked
05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I think a lot of people who lived in the midwest, would move down south, so they could ride bikes/mopeds/etc. year round.

The winter haters are just looking for that 1 excuse, 'cos they always say "why do I live here?" :)

Poncho
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Already only driving my GTO twice a week at most the way it is now. Good weather days.

Deggy
05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
That thing needs a turbo!

I think SMART Cars already come with a turbo I-3.

Rocket Power
05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I think SMART Cars already come with a turbo I-3.

Maybe as an option. The one I was working on had a N/A 3

Rocket Power
05-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Just checked . no turbo just 71 N/A horses.
At least it's rear wheel drive

Deggy
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe it was originally concepted to have a turbo....

Don't guys throw 'Busa motors in them and shit?

Rocket Power
05-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I've heard of GSXR1000 motors in them. Would scoot pretty good in an 1800lb car

Poncho
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Maybe it was originally concepted to have a turbo....

Don't guys throw 'Busa motors in them and shit?

The euro cars have a turbo diesel available.