PDA

View Full Version : CDL hazmat guys....

Smokey1226
04-30-2008, 11:57 PM
One last quick question before my test on friday.....For Rail road crossings, i know i have to stop 50-15ft before the Railroads, turn off my radio (it will already be off), open my windows, ect ect

But do i turn on my hazards while im pulling up to stop? Cuz if i just randomly stop in the middle of the road without some kind of signal, i think someone would get pissed off?

Flicktitty
05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I know when i see gas/fuel trucks go over tracks they put there hazards on. i think my dad is spoused to as well but i don't believe he does.

twicks69
05-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Hazards ON! :thumbsup

Good luck Chad!

michelle
05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
I would think on. Every vehicle that I have seen that has to stop at railroad crossings puts them on, like school buses.

PonyKiller87
05-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Yes its hazards on, but to tell you the truth I don't remember that being on the test at all. My suggestion is any of the rules that involve a number, learn those in and out. Theres a couple of them about if your carrying this many gallons of something or other what are you required to do....

UnderPSI
05-01-2008, 09:36 AM
No shifting gears when crossing train tracks, yes, use your flashers.

Know which materials you can't smoke around, 10 B,C fire extinguisher minimum.

Driving with explosives can't park with in 5' of the traveled part of the road and 300' from bridge, tunnel, building, places where people gather and open fire.

Remember if you break down you can't use flares

You need to know what requires placarding in any amount.

Once you pass then you get the nice fingerprinting and FBI background check.

PonyKiller87
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Once you pass then you get the nice fingerprinting and FBI background check.

That part was a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$. It would be nice if the DMV refined the whole process so it doesn't require so much driving around to get stuff done.

UnderPSI
05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
How long did it take you from the time you sent your fingerprint cards in to the time it got accepted?

Smokey1226
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Hazards ON! :thumbsup

Good luck Chad!

Thanks Tim, Ya i already took my Written test and got my Fingerprints taken. That was a cake walk, and i had my results back in a week and a half! That's super quick compared to the others that i have asked.

Sweetness, im going to try to work my charm with the Road Test lady, that way just incase i screw up she'll be still stareing at me and it will go unoticed :thumbsup

PonyKiller87
05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
How long did it take you from the time you sent your fingerprint cards in to the time it got accepted?

I think it was almost a month? What wierded me out though was they sent me my new license in the mail with the new endorsement on it. What if someone else would have gotten ahold of that? Oh well, shouldn't have to deal with it again.

Are you taking your road test through the DMV ? If it doesn't go well I can give you the number for the guy I did mine through. He was really cool and everything went really smooth.

Smokey1226
05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
No actully im going through a third party, and its actully the person from our local school Bus Company. Which ironicly, she was my bus driver for a year or two when i was in grade school!

PonyKiller87
05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
You should be set then, from what Ive heard that third party testers usualy dont fail anyone unless they are really deserve it.

Smokey1226
05-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Should i bring her some cookies and/or flowers :D nah i should be fine i just hope i make sure to check everything over during the pre-trip expection. As im doing it on my pickup truck.

PonyKiller87
05-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Take your book with you or print off the inspection check list from the web. Your allowed to use it while doing the inspection. I would go through the list and mark anything that doesn't apply to your truck before hand so you can point that out to her. Should be a piece of cake.

Not sure but if your using your pickup as a commercial vehicle to haul fuel you may need to make sure it has the safety stuff on board like the triangles reflectors....

GRNDNL
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
How much fuel can you carry before you need a lic and all that other crap?....

PonyKiller87
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/docs/cdl-vol2.pdf

Check that out its the book you have to study to get the Hazmat endorsement.

In the begining it says that you need a CDL and the H(hazmat) if you are carrying anything that requires placards.

On page 33 it says For fuel if you are carrying 1001 lbs or more (including packaging) you are required to placard.

Gas Is about 6.25 lbs per gal so a steel 55 gal drum would be about 350-360 lbs depending on the drum. So pretty much you can haul 2 of them, anything more would put you over the limit and you would need placards and the license.

Smokey1226
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Very true! Im going to ask her tomorrow about if i need a Fire Extingusher (spelling) with me or not. I do have the triangles and Placards for the trailer, just no Fire Ext.

9:00am here i come!

hrsp
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
GL with your test!!!!

GRAMPS SS
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
x2^^^^^^^^^

Smokey1226
05-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys, if i dont.....im going to cry on Taffy's Shoulder, right Wayne :D

UnderPSI
05-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Very true! Im going to ask her tomorrow about if i need a Fire Extingusher (spelling) with me or not. I do have the triangles and Placards for the trailer, just no Fire Ext.

9:00am here i come!

Pretty sure you need a UL 10 B C minimum

Smokey1226
05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Yessir, WOOT i passed and already went to the DMV and got my new Lic. WOOT!

ND4SPD
05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Congrats! Now break that bad boy in and bring me a few cans of 110 leaded and a few of 108 unleaded. :D You know what, dumbass me, I could probably buy a drum from you and keep it in the storage unit with the car. Course... I don't think the landlord wants us doing that. Hmmm... I'll have to give that some thought. :D

Smokey1226
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Congrats! Now break that bad boy in and bring me a few cans of 110 leaded and a few of 108 unleaded. :D You know what, dumbass me, I could probably buy a drum from you and keep it in the storage unit with the car. Course... I don't think the landlord wants us doing that. Hmmm... I'll have to give that some thought. :D

It'll save ya a good amount of money! I'd so drop it off, in exchange for a ride in your beast! Otherwise i have plenty of 110 Pails as well as 108 pails!! But it's up to you! :headbang

ND4SPD
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
It'll save ya a good amount of money! I'd so drop it off, in exchange for a ride in your beast! Otherwise i have plenty of 110 Pails as well as 108 pails!! But it's up to you! :headbang

Well, I have to do something... even with my car set on low boost I feel nervous about not having at least a mix of some race fuel in there. One bad overboost is all it takes to mess something up and while I would love to do a SP 3.25 stroker... I don't think the wife would be real happy with me dropping another huge chunk of money this soon after all the money I spent on the single conversion/fuel/ecu/tuning,/etc...

If you're doing a fuel delivery up in the Capitol Drive section of 'tosa sometime and would maybe interested in bringing me a few cans of the 110 on the way that'd be great (I think I'll wait with the 108 until I head down to SP again... not sure when that will be). I was hoping to meet up with you this weekend, but it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate.

Smokey1226
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, I have to do something... even with my car set on low boost I feel nervous about not having at least a mix of some race fuel in there. One bad overboost is all it takes to mess something up and while I would love to do a SP 3.25 stroker... I don't think the wife would be real happy with me dropping another huge chunk of money this soon after all the money I spent on the single conversion/fuel/ecu/tuning,/etc...

If you're doing a fuel delivery up in the Capitol Drive section of 'tosa sometime and would maybe interested in bringing me a few cans of the 110 on the way that'd be great (I think I'll wait with the 108 until I head down to SP again... not sure when that will be). I was hoping to meet up with you this weekend, but it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate.

Ya, ghey rain is getting old! I have a BCM member heading my way tonight at about 6pm. So ill be up at the station. But if you get in the mood one day, and head down my way. Give me a call, most likely ill be working but my dad also wants to see the car. :headbang