PDA

View Full Version : snowmobile: thumb throttle to twist

u_say_go
04-28-2008, 10:16 PM
I was out in the garage cleaning up the sled getting it ready for storage and got to wondering....how big of a pain is it to go from the thumb throttle to a twist grip throttle like a motorcycle? and why do they have thumb throttles on sleds and atvs?

DirtyMax
04-29-2008, 01:00 AM
and why do they have thumb throttles on sleds and atvs?

I think I read once it was because:

a. if you get out of shape your hand/thumb has a tendency to leave the throttle so the machine begins slowing down. Whether there's any logic behind that...???

b. you typically turn alot harder and more abruptly on those than you do on a bike and when you really lean into a turn, alot of people tend to lean on a twist thottle thus increasing the throttle and that can be hairy.

pOrk
04-29-2008, 01:08 AM
I think it was Sam that was telling me he did this on his quad, and I think I would do the same thing if I bought one. Send him a PM, I'm sure he would tell you how he did it.

70challenger
04-29-2008, 01:34 AM
idk, guess i really never thought of having a twist throttle on my sled or my quad. ive had dirtbikes since i was 4 years old and ive been riding quads since i was 16.led i think is better with a thumb throttle because your steering ALOT more than a bike as 4eyed stated. i have 192 1.5 studs in my sled so its not exactly easy to whip thru tight twisty corners.

70 cutlass 442
04-29-2008, 01:45 AM
hmm, i hate twist throttles, especialy on quads. try hitting a whoop section on a quad with a thumb throttle. as for a sled, i kinda thought about this for turning pouposes, but i think the second thumb throttle on the left side of the bar would be better.

badass88gt
04-29-2008, 03:40 AM
I have had twists on bikes before and have always thought of it for my sled. I never got around to it. What I did do was take the screws out of my thumb and flip it around like a brake handle. Makes a world of difference, and if I get tired of that I can just grab it and spin it back to the thumb. Works awesome, been that way for a few years now.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd want a twist on a sled.

u_say_go
04-29-2008, 09:09 AM
thanks for the insight fellas, I had the same thoughts regarding making turns. Think about when you make a right turn on a sled; your right hand stays stationary or rolls forward while the throttle moves downward, resulting in either a major roll off the throttle or and uncomfortable repositioning of the right hand.
A brake lever type of throttle might work out, I'm gonna try that. I still think a twist grip would be cool.
What do you guys do to your sleds to get them ready for summer storage? I've got a half tank of gas right now...should I throw a bottle of Stabil in there and forget about it or is there something else I should do?

thanks

DirtyMax
04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Stabil or Seafoam in the gas for sure and then run it a few minutes so it gets into the lines and carbs/injectors. I've been using Seafoam for a couple years now based on the opinion of a long-time small engine mechanic and have had good results.

Fogging the cylinders and removing the belt are a few other things that I've heard are recommended. Lubing everything up underneath good is another step you can take.

HRSEPLA
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I did it to my 400EX ATV, it was like 30 bucks from over at Don and Roy's, and installed in 20 minutes, it came with a new throttle cable specific.
I grew up on motorcycles and it just feels right!

Trutildeathxxx
05-17-2008, 10:10 PM
its not hard, i have done it before, its just a matter of finding the proper length throttle cable and the proper throttle sleeve for the size of carbs you have.

SmokinRAM114
05-18-2008, 01:49 PM
i have tried this on my 97 polaris. in slednecks 3 or 4 there is a guy (madrano) that has one. i want to do it to my 07 phazer. but to many electronics on that. u need to make a cable that goes from the twist to the splitter where it opens both carbs

wrath
05-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I've converted everything I've ever had to twist throttle, all of them Motion Pro.

I've bent bars racing. No way in hell you're going to bend a bar with a thumb throttle. You just can't hang on that tight. Thumb throttles are fine in warm weather and tooling around your yard. They suck when it's cold out or you're ripping through the woods.

If you can't turn and maintain throttle control you need to work on your wrist strength.

88Nightmare
05-19-2008, 05:33 PM
thumb throttle on a quad or sled FTL

I tried riding my buddies raptor that was converted to twist throttle before he bought it, and it SUCKS! its nothing like a dirtbike where you lean it into the turns as opposed to drastically turning the handlebars like on a quad. My friend and I both agree that the twist throttle on it sucks.

Moparjim
05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree, I have a Banshee that was converted to a twist throttle and I thought I would like it since I have ridden bikes... However, as others have said, I have found you really work the bars a lot more on a quad, not to mention your not on the seat as slid as a bike between your legs, your standing up and shifting your weight quite a bit for turns and hills etc. I rode a MX track recently and busted my shit pretty good when I came off one jump a bit too fast and a bit nose down, then when I bounced on the fronts then rocked back to the rears hanging on I involuntarily twisted the throttle full on and LAUNCHED myself off the next ramp... I got some pretty serious air... The only good news is I did get a free bag of peanuts and an in flight movie while I was up there, but I got bounced off the quad on the landing and am still sore in a few spots lol. Even trail style riding I have often tweaked the throttle a little more than I would like while taking tight turns and working the bars, or while bouncing around. The Banshee I have is moderately fast - just tweaking the throttle the slightest in the powerband will put her in motion and the front tires in the air in a heartbeat. I plan to convert to a thumb ASAP it just seems like it would be much easier...

Jsho13
05-21-2008, 03:43 PM
thumb throttle on a quad or sled FTL

I tried riding my buddies raptor that was converted to twist throttle before he bought it, and it SUCKS! its nothing like a dirtbike where you lean it into the turns as opposed to drastically turning the handlebars like on a quad. My friend and I both agree that the twist throttle on it sucks.

x2. I wouldn't even consider changing the throttle on either of my sleds nor the waverunners. I only like twist on bikes.