PDA

View Full Version : Need to borrow a Differentaial Bearing Torque Tool * Help *

awsomeears
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Normally if I need a tool I just buy it, but I'm only going to use this once :thumbsup so I would rather throw a 24 pack at ya to borrow it.

This is Chrysler Differential Torque Adapter specific :thumbsup

I'm installing my LSD in my trans :3gears::dance

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Differential-Bearing-Torque-Tools-C-4995.HTML

Russ Jerome
04-28-2008, 10:41 PM
You can use an old CV shaft the same way, or simply dial off
the transfer gear that turns the diff itself (same difference).

Are you setting up your diff bearings or preload on the carrier?

awsomeears
04-28-2008, 11:20 PM
You can use an old CV shaft the same way, or simply dial off
the transfer gear that turns the diff itself (same difference).

Are you setting up your diff bearings or preload on the carrier?

Preload

Here are the directions that have been used time and time again by a neon tech.

Russ just like you said I could use a old axle, just cut it off and I could tack weld a socket on center and that should act just the same right :stare

By the way do you have any shims laying around or know anyone that has some ? I doubt the dealer has them in stock but I could be wrong, once that time comes then ill find out I guess.

DIFFERENTIAL BEARING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT

(1)Oil differential bearings with Mopar Manual Transaxle Fluid Lube the cone rollers on the new differential with Mopar 4874465

(2) Install differential assembly in transaxle gear case. Set the quaife in the gear train half of the trans without the ring gear!!

FSM says: Bearing preloads and drag torque specifications must be maintained to avoid premature bearing failures. Used (original) bearings may lose up to 50% of the original drag torque after break–in. All bearing adjustments must be made with no other component interference or gear intermesh. (This means you need to REMOVE the ring gear from the differential when setting preloads and measuring turning torque).

(3) Reassemble the case halves. Leave out the reverse gear idler washer and caged shaft bearing for ease of assembly. It's easier to assembly the tranny at this point if you leave out the caged bearing - don't forget it later on!!! Install clutch bellhousing over gear case. Wiggle till it drops into position. You can try to align the shifter rails with their slots for faster assembly. It will drop into place leaving virtually no gap all the way around. DO NOT FORCE IT SHUT! Doing so will permanently damage and destroy the transmission. Be patient.

(4) Bolt the case together using enough bolts to hold it securely (7 or 8). I do every other one around the differential. Using the torque measuring tool (which looks like a small diameter tail pipe expansion tool) turn the differential left and right 3 or 4 times, flip the trans over and repeat the procedure. Torque case bolts to 29 N·m (21 ft. lbs.).

(5) Turning–torque readings should be obtained while smoothly rotating in either direction. Position transaxle with bellhousing facing down on workbench. Position dial indicator.

(6) Apply a medium load to differential with Tool C-4995 and a T-handle, in the downward direction. Roll differential assembly back and forth a number of times. This will settle the bearings. Zero the dial indicator. To obtain end play readings, apply a medium load in an upward direction while rolling differential assembly back and forth Record end play.

Set up your end play indicator to measure end play. As you can see in the photos I used a dial caliper and a wrench. Whatever you use, take 5 or 6 measurements and take average of the repeatable numbers.

(7) The shim required for proper bearing preloads is the total of end play, plus (constant) preloads of 0.18mm (0.007 in.). Never combine shims to obtain the required preloads.

End play + Preload = Desired shim thickness

(8) Remove case bolts. Remove clutch bellhousing differential bearing cup. Install shim(s) selected in Step 7. Then press the bearing cup into clutch bellhousing.

(9) Install clutch bellhousing. Install and torque case bolts to 26 N·m (19 ft. lbs.).

(10) Using Special Tool C-4995 and an inch-pound torque wrench, check turning torque of the differential assembly . The turning torque should be 6 to 12 in. lbs. If the turning torque is too high, install a 0.05mm (0.002 inch) thinner shim. If the turning torque is too low, install a 0.05mm (0.002 inch) thicker shim.