PDA

View Full Version : advice on staying warm in subzero temps

rally_scort
04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Ill be working at the Shoeps ice cream factory in madison for the rest of the week.I was told its -30 consistantly in the freezer ill be working in.I cant say im looking forward to the job, but its only for a week, so im gunna try my best to stay warm.Im looking for some feedback if anybodies been in or around those temps and what i can go buy to keep warm.Ill be using power tools so i cant bundle up like a marshmallow, and ill be climbing around about 40 feet above the ground, so i need to stay flexible.Any advice along with where i can pick up some warm stuff would be appreciated.Ive got the standard issue carhart jacket, some carhart bibs, and gloves that work real well, im mainly looking for some sort of thermal wear or other tips to stay warm.

Korndogg
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
i got my remmington thermals from walmart and they work really well. I use them with my insulated carhart pants and jacket.

Reverend Cooper
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
handwarmes in the boots and gloves are great, also its a well known fact leaving your balls exsposed to the cold will make the rest oif your body warm. try it

rally_scort
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
handwarmes in the boots and gloves are great, also its a well known fact leaving your balls exsposed to the cold will make the rest oif your body warm. try it

haha, ive actually been told by my coworkers that the handwarmer trick isnt a good idea in those temps.They said to try and find a happy medium between staying warm enough to work and not to sweat cuz that will make the cold come on alot quicker.As for the balls, im sure they will be tucking themselves nicely above my belly button all day long :D

Reverend Cooper
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
do jumping jacks,pushups cartwheels i here that helps

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Layers of clothes, good winter socks/boots and everything covered.
Purpose built cold gear is good but you can use what you have laying around if that includes sweatshirts and sweatpants.

Reverend Cooper
04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
i have these awesome gloves for ice fishing very thin and water proof,you can put your hand in water and let it freeze on the glove and your hands are still warm

theavenger333
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
do NOT use handwarmers. worst idea ever. i work in a freezer a good portion of my day. wear layers, but the clothing must be Breathable. if you have any under armor, or the knockoff (which i own) start with that. good thermal long johns, and not Denim. remember, you'll be working and moving around, so you'll be producing body heat, but you have to be able to expell it, or you just sweat, and get cold.

MoCkiN U
04-28-2008, 09:57 PM
As for the balls, im sure they will be tucking themselves nicely above my belly button all day long :D

:rolf:rolf::rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

rally_scort
04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
do NOT use handwarmers. worst idea ever. i work in a freezer a good portion of my day. wear layers, but the clothing must be Breathable. if you have any under armor, or the knockoff (which i own) start with that. good thermal long johns, and not Denim. remember, you'll be working and moving around, so you'll be producing body heat, but you have to be able to expell it, or you just sweat, and get cold.

where might i find some of this under armor you speak of? I checked out walmart for the hell of it since i was there, but im guessing some of the better stuff is seasonal only?

Korndogg
04-28-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.underarmour.com

you can get it at most sporting goods stores.

Reverend Cooper
04-28-2008, 10:06 PM

dont listen to him he cant even spell THE DARKNESS

lordairgtar
04-28-2008, 11:22 PM
So he should cut a hole in his pants and let the boys hang free?:rolf

SlowStee
04-28-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.underarmour.com

you can get it at most sporting goods stores.

X2....Under Armour sponsors my winter running :thumbsup:thumbsup

theavenger333
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
i buy the knockoff stuff from Target. works fine. i have the warm season under armor though, i love it. just a bit pricey