PDA

View Full Version : So me and a friend were talking...

Rocket Power
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
He thinks that those of us into older stuff are a dying breed and younger guys for the most part are into the newer FWD cars, and that the price of gas isn't helping. I agreed to a point, then started thinking about what I would build if I was looking for something old but still RWD and gets good enough mileage I could drive it all the time. My thinking was (since I am an Olds guy) 61-63 F-85/Cutlass, add a Quad4 most likely with a turbo and 5 speed. You'd have 4 cyl economy with some power in a car that weighs about as much as a Calais/grand Am and would be RWD so you'd get better traction. Olds did set some speed records with the Aerotech with the Quad4 and it owned Showroom stock racing in the early 90's. So there's at least a little racing cred:rolf And the Jetfire version of the F-85/Cutlass back then was among the first production Turbo cars.

Anyone else ever think anything along those lines, small compact 60's car with a turbo 4 from the 80's-90's?

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/295500/295919.1962.Oldsmobile.Jetfire.2-Door.Hardtop.Coupe.jpg
+
http://www.mantapart.com/images/w41.jpg

Syclone0044
04-24-2008, 06:35 PM
It would be an ENORMOUS amount of work, *BUT* I can see great potential with the Quad 4 DOHC you posted, when turbocharged. The ECM used is the same '749 as on the Syclone, so you could run a 3 Bar chip and change it to 4 cylinder mode (easy as 1 click) and then recalibrate it for the engine (that's the tough part, very labor-intensive).

There's no reason why it wouldnt make enough HP and torque to shred any transmission you can put behind it (unless you can find a way to mate a RWD transmission to that engine, like a 700R4, TH350 etc.)

Reverend Cooper
04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
dood if i could afford a gt500kr from back in the day i would have it im 35 and love old school. i got something new that i could afford that looks like the old model.

Rocket Power
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
It would be an ENORMOUS amount of work, *BUT* I can see great potential with the Quad 4 DOHC you posted, when turbocharged. The ECM used is the same '749 as on the Syclone, so you could run a 3 Bar chip and change it to 4 cylinder mode (easy as 1 click) and then recalibrate it for the engine (that's the tough part, very labor-intensive).

There's no reason why it wouldnt make enough HP and torque to shred any transmission you can put behind it (unless you can find a way to mate a RWD transmission to that engine, like a 700R4, TH350 etc.)
There is at least 1 company that makes adapters for RWD trannys for the Quad4. I had a Calais Q4 5speed and it was a fun little ride, I would imagine a rear drive one would be fun too. Probably get some funny looks at the exhaust note though:rolf

JC70SS
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
87 Gn

Rocket Power
04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I do have a soft spot for Turbo Buicks, I am more of a T-Type guy.

DirtyMax
04-25-2008, 08:29 AM
My uncle and I were just talking about the same thing a few weekends ago. gearheads in our age bracket that are into older stuff are definitely a dying breed.

We concluded that by far the late 60's and early 70's when he and my dad grew up had to be the coolest time to be a car guy. He said every night you were at a different person's house wrenching on their car, trying a new intake/carb, etc. Not to mention the cars they were tinkering with back then... :drool:

Nowadays, you're lucky to have 1 or 2 friends who can even identify a timing light, let alone know what to do with it...

jbiscuit
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
part of the problem is the older stuff demands a premium...stuff is expensive. These old cars are getting expensive. Collectors drive the market way up and makes it hard for a 20 year old to purchase a Chevelle or Challenger to wrench on. PLUS gas prices aren't making things any better. It gets expensive to cruise around in hopped-up muscle car nowadays....

I agree 100% though that many kids don't see the value and passion some of us share with this old stuff. There isn't a day that goes by I don't think about what I do next to my old Chevy or how to tune the carb a little better or what parts are new today on Ebay. Its either in your blood or its not...thats the way I see it. New technology is outstanding...cars like the EVO are fast cars. And livable as a daily driver....so I appreciate where we have gotten to today with technology. But to me, there will ALWAYS be a place in my heart for a big block chevy with a lumpy cam and headers....

Rocket Power
04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I feel like the guy who was into Model T's , in the 60's and 70's when the young guys were into musclecars:rolf

Syclone0044
04-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I think another big factor is instant gratification. To find a good deal on a good condition classic car takes a long time and a lot of homework. A lot of guys just want something NOW and the new stuff is a lot more plentiful.

juicedimpss
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I think another big factor is instant gratification. To find a good deal on a good condition classic car takes a long time and a lot of homework. A lot of guys just want something NOW and the new stuff is a lot more plentiful.

along with the fact you can still get a loan to buy some newer muscle as well.

JC70SS
04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Also the biggest $hit stink is collector car insurance. With agreed value policies you may not drive the car anywhere and leave it unattended except for a car show. So that means no stopping in at the grocery store on the way home from a cruise. It really sucks.

Rocket Power
04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
along with the fact you can still get a loan to buy some newer muscle as well.
The only thing "bad" about newer stuff is you see it everywhere. 4th gen F-bodies and newer mustangs for example, you see them everyday in winter even. Older cars you don't usually and they stick out more. I remember when G-bodies were a dime a dozen, now even they are drying up to a certain extent, since they haven't made them in 20 years.

PB86MCSS
04-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Collectors drive the market way up and makes it hard for a 20 year old to purchase a Chevelle or Challenger to wrench on.

I think these two lines hit the nail right on the head. Alot of younger guys and people in general want instant gratification which to them comes with a newer car. There is a conception(misconception?) that if its newer its more reliable, plus most times it won't need interior restoration, body work or paint, etc....its turnkey. Then throw some mods at it. Many older cars can be turnkey but those are usually priced pretty high. Plus if you want to buy an older car thats in that shape you typically need that much cash on hand. We live in the era of high debt and people making payments on everything which ties into newer cars as any new car is attainable when you "only" have to pay so much per month....another factor, IMO. I personally couldn't stand a car payment but most others are used to them. People also covet what they see everyday and there aren't a ton of older muscle cars cruising the streets daily, more late model stuff obviously.

For an older RWD daily cruiser, I'd just go with a 4.3 TBI g-body with a OD trans and some highway gears :) . Not exciting but it should easily be in the 25-30mpg range in good tune and without a lead foot I'd think. Plus reliable/cheap to maintain yet.

team beater
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
not something that could be driven everyday per say but i think a ratrod with a 200/250 hp 4 banger would be fun........