PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of droptops?

pnad
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Thinking about moving from the hardtop to the roofless DSM.

All things being equal, I would basically be trading AWD for a droptop.

I do not drive the Talon in winter, hell I hardly drive it in rain so other than traction leaving the stop light I don't really *need* AWD.

What I am looking for is opinions on convertibles in general. Anyone ever had one and hate it? Maybe they suck? Maybe I just have this unrealistic romanticized dream of top down Sunday cruises through the country side.

The only negatives I have heard so far is verts suck in cold and rain. Not an issue for me, stored winters, driven on sunny sunday afternoons. Also hear the opinion that an Eclipse Spyder is a b1t(h / gh3y car and can only be pronounced with a lisp.

Thanks

UnderPSI
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I always liked convertibles. You will get a lot more wind noise driving around with the top up. And don't go through a car wash, the water will usually blast right past where the window seals against the top. Just remember, don't leave anything valuable in the car. Don't ever lock the doors either. It is cheaper to replace parts inside the car that they steal if they open the door rather than having to replace parts in the car as well as the top they cut open to unlock the door.

Karps TA
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
The negative is you live in WI. And it's like cold at night sometimes until late June, and then is nice for 2 months until it gets cold again.

forest
04-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I had a vert once and hated it. It was a very nice car as well, just like brad said, don't go through a car wash, and don't lock it. I drove mine hard and paid for it. Sounds like your use would be perfect for what you want.

Jsho13
04-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I would definitely buy one . . . as a second car. No way would would I have one as a DD. If you really want one that bad, maybe look into t-tops, best of both worlds. If I want a convertible I just run to my folks house and take theirs. They used to have a RT/10 but didn't like the fact that it was basically a weekend/nice day car. They wanted something that could be driven all summer long so they traded in on a sl55. That car is the best of both worlds, hard top convertible FTMFW!

pOrk
04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Sitting in the back seat of a DSM vert sucks balls, and you wont be getting laid back there either. AWD > Vert

wikked
04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
My car is empty, i have no GPS/radar, and I always lock the doors.
There is literally nothing inside my car besides a couple cd's behind the seats that can't be seen.
I've parked downtown everywhere, even in the ghetto areas by the Rave on Wisconsin ave at night.
The idiots who's tops get sliced, have shit in plain view, and lots of it.

Why doesn't everyone with hardtops leave their doors unlocked then?
I mean, otherwise you'll just end up replacing windows? Or someone will pop your hood and steal all your parts?
It really doesn't happen as often as you think.

What's with the driving in cold? I have no problem there. Not like the cold air is leaking in? :confused
Like said, car wash is a no go, unless you want to shower at the same time.

Mine has been my DD since last summer pretty much, my Talon has no real advantages other than the larger back seat/trunk.

So what if the back is cramped, there's plenty of bathroom stalls to have sex in :P

BoosTT
04-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I always thought that vert's were ugly compared to their hard top version. IMO, this is true for almost every convertable, with most expections being $$$ cars.

However, most convertables do have hardtops as well. They are really expensive and hard to get though and hard to install/remove. These hardtops go on the car, with the softtop retracted. Simular to a jeep hardtop. MR2 spyder and TT come to mind first

slickwilly
04-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Had an '86 Mustang convertible and LOVED it. It was amazing driving around with the top down, but even in summer it would sometimes be too chilly in the evenings. And then of course you have to decide whether or not to put it down, but mine was easy enough to operate that I could do it at stop lights.

Basically, if you're not worried about the AWD, then go for it. The cars generally sound a lot better with the top down as well.

wikked
04-25-2008, 07:36 PM
The cars generally sound a lot better with the top down as well.

Forgot about that... huge plus :D