PDA

View Full Version : E85 Doesnt harm non-flexfuel vehicles

badass88gt
04-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Found this video. I have no opinion either way. Discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOs1yap8mU

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-23-2008, 06:11 AM
For every tank of ethanol sold a child dies of starvation. Food for fuels what a sad state.

Rocket Power
04-23-2008, 06:33 AM
yeah why would you want to use food for fuel. Corn is in almost everything you buy in the grocery store so at the rising price of corn to the rising price of fuel in general to get stuff to the store, and it's a recipe for disaster. And it's not even an efficient fuel, you have to burn more to go the same distance
Ethanol FTMFL

HP ADDICT
04-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Doesnt harm it IF your fuel system can keep up. It does have a much higher detonation resistance though.

T-Bag
04-23-2008, 06:44 AM
I will never run that shit in my car. It doesn't burn well and you get shit gas mileage. No thanks, think of something else to power our cars.

DurtyKurty
04-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Sometime this summer I will tear down the engine I ran E85 in. It should be interesting.

I don't understand the "it doesn't burn well" comment.

Z28Roxy
04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Ethanol from sugar (ala Brazil) would be cool - it's quite efficient as far as planting, harvesting, processing, etc goes.

Corn ethanol is too inefficient though.

GRNDNL
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Who would have thunk converting food to fuel would be a bad idea......:rolleyes:

BAD LS1
04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
That vortec 350 looked like ass inside IMHO. That thing had to have been a gutless turd running on E85 with trims near + 25 im certain.

I ran 2 tankfulls through my camaro and had to completley change the tune up signifigantly to make it run within acceptable means.

I will say it again that its a good race fuel alternative if you have the fuel system to keep up with demand, and thats it.

Karps TA
04-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Who would have thunk converting food to fuel would be a bad idea......:rolleyes:

Just think in like 10 years our cars will be getting fat on all that food/fuel and we'll have to put them on low carb diets.

The gas mileage drop my car gets on E85, and the fact that I've never actually seen an E85 pump, keeps me from ever using it. Not too mention it's just a terrible knee jerk solution to a problem, and it's causing more problems then solving any.

xxsn0blindxx
04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Coskata may have the answer to ethanol by using engineered bacteria to convert garbage into ethanol.

http://www.coskata.com/

Ehtanol by volume contains less energy than gasoline, therefore it takes more ethanol to get the same explosion as gasoline. As a result, it also has a high detonation point (octane rating).

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Found this video in youtubes "related videos" after watching that ethanol tahoe junk.

From ABC 20/20 Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity with John Stossel, Myth #1 Ethanol is Great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QQcP_Y1II&feature=related
Ethanol: OWNED

BAD LS1
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Found this video in youtubes "related videos" after watching that ethanol tahoe junk.

From ABC 20/20 Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity with John Stossel, Myth #1 Ethanol is Great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QQcP_Y1II&feature=related
Ethanol: OWNED

:rolf:rolf

HY35F2T
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
once again i love the ppl that dont know jack shit about e85.I know a few ppl running it on 4cyls boosted making nice numbers.Also n/a v8's carb.

if your car isnt e85 from the factory dont plan on just dumping in a few gallons and being fine.Id run e85 any day over 93 octane.

T-Bag
04-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Sometime this summer I will tear down the engine I ran E85 in. It should be interesting.

I don't understand the "it doesn't burn well" comment.

E85 has a lower heating value therefore it doesn't burn as well as gasoline, obviously we would be talking a little different in a higher compression motor.

Most FFV's still have the same compression ratio as their pure gasser counterparts

Rocket Power
04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Ethanol=
1. gov't subsides

2. using food for fuel ( here with corn and corn is in damn near everything from soda to all kinds of food so prices will/are going up)

3. use more of it because it's not as efficient and not that much less $$ than regular gas.

4. Legislators are the b1tches of the farmers trying to create a mandate to put it in all the gas.

F*** ethanol, I wish I could get gas without any of it around here without going to Walworth county

Breecher_7
04-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Ethanol=
1. gov't subsides

2. using food for fuel ( here with corn and corn is in damn near everything from soda to all kinds of food so prices will/are going up)

3. use more of it because it's not as efficient and not that much less $$ than regular gas.

4. Legislators are the b1tches of the farmers trying to create a mandate to put it in all the gas.

F*** ethanol, I wish I could get gas without any of it around here without going to Walworth county

Dodge county has regular non reformulated fuel as well.

lordairgtar
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Back before engines had the modern fuel management computers and fuel injection, I, and students at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo did some studies on ethanol as fuel. I sold what was then known as Gasohol at my gas station. In the late 70s, this was the next great thing. My gas had 10% ethanol mixed in it. It's what passes for motor fuel today in most areas. Some students got me involved with an experiment. As most people know, ethanol has been used in racing and also in Brazil as everyday fuel. We wanted to see what would be needed to convert a standard American auto to run on it. My personal car was the guinea pig...one 1969 Buick Special 350 V8 with 4 barrel carb. You guys remember carburetors, right? In the test it was found that the car engine needed to be at operating temperature to run smooth. Also, timing needed to be adjusted. We ran the car on gas until the car warmed up and then switched to an auxiliary tank containing the ethanol. To pre warm the ethanol, we came up with the idea to coil the fuel line around the lower radiator hose. This way, once the car was warmed with gas, and the fuel was switched, it would remain running. The experiment failed! Although it was drivable, the timing adjustments were never quite right. The car ran extremely rich on gas because of the altered timing. We found that emissions were higher during the gas powered phase. We didn't have the modern technology available to us that we have know. Obviously, those E85 vehicles would not run without the new fuel and timing controls.

Karps TA
04-23-2008, 06:45 PM
A guy I work with grew up on a corn farm in Iowa. The county they were in was the largest producing county of corn not just in Iowa but in the country. They produced so much corn the grain silo there bought it's own 150 car train just to haul the stuff down to the gulf to get rid of it. Now because of ethanol mandates and the huge money in it due to govt subsidies, they have to actually import corn into that area from other countries to keep up with demand. In addition his brother who works for the power company there, said that energy usage due to the ethanol refineries is up over 800%.

So we are importing a product that costs more in energy to refine then it produces. I would say that's a negative.

Especially when the easiest answer is to just let Americans get oil from America.

ND4SPD
04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
E85 Doesnt harm non-flexfuel vehicles

Yeah, tell me that after the E85 eats all the seals, hoses, corrodes everything, etc... after repeated use. There is a reason vehicles have to be engineered for high alky vehicles.

HY35F2T
04-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah, tell me that after the E85 eats all the seals, hoses, corrodes everything, etc... after repeated use. There is a reason vehicles have to be engineered for high alky vehicles.

really hmm my buddys 95 civic must be a flex fuel then huh?you know its ethanol not meth right?

badass88gt
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm curious. how many people here have first hand experience running E85?

Mainly asking the nay-sayers, how many have seen their seals, hoses, etc all eaten up by E85?

Sorry for having a little attitude, just trying to seperate fact from internet fiction.

DRK
04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.e85performance.net/forums/

http://www.e85mustangs.com/

DurtyKurty
04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm curious. how many people here have first hand experience running E85?

Mainly asking the nay-sayers, how many have seen their seals, hoses, etc all eaten up by E85?

Sorry for having a little attitude, just trying to seperate fact from internet fiction.

Like I said in the other thread. I ran E85 exclusively in my mustang for 3 years. It would sit all winter (4+ months) and fire up flawlessly in spring. NEVER had a fuel component fail. I never started it in the dead of winter, but there were plenty of 30 degree days that is started perfect.

All the stuff about eating seals and hoses is just regurgitated BS.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I had a flex fuel 2000 S10 Xtreme and never ran ehtanol in it until around 95k miles or 2007 when we got a local ethanol pump, I did not notice a whole lot of power loss (4 banger no power to start with) or mpg loss, I also did not notice a big savings either as its only 20 cents a gallon cheaper.

At 100k miles when I sold it to my brother and we were doing some tune up and fluid changes on the junk I suggested he change the original fuel filter after 100k miles, well the fuel filter for the flex fuel S10 was $80 dollars Vs. $10 for the non flex fuel version and they very different so you had to use the oem style or reconfigure fuel lines.
We left the original filter on it and forgotaboutit.

I ran E85 In my 91 Mark VII a few times with no real adverse affect, I noticed a little power loss with that and maybe a little less mpg, the check engine light came on a few times and it never has in that car.

I am not opposed to the fuel I am opposed to subsidies, tax breaks and government mandated use and other crap handouts/welfare that ethanol makers and marketers have recieved. Anywhere I see ADM involved I get weary.
And as a grain and meat eater I do not want to have to pay double the price for those items because grain, corn and other feedstuffs for the livestock is more expensive due to people only growing corn for ethanol and not feed/food.

A gallon of oil is used for every gallon of ethanol produced, where is the sense in that ?

A schmuck I work with is so happy to save that 20 cents a gallon in his fancy new chevalay pick up and hes paying 25% more on the staples of our meals due to increased corn demand due to ethanol. :flipoff2:
Remove the subsudies from ethanol and it costs more than gasoiline. :rolleyes:
Remove the mandate and nobody buys the E10 either.

GRNDNL
04-24-2008, 10:50 AM
All the stuff about eating seals and hoses is just regurgitated BS.

Really?.....:rolleyes:

I can show you what the 10% does to carb floats, brass jets, zinc coatings and rubber fuel lines if the stuff sits for more than a few days with out being used. Call any small engine repair shop and ask them what they think of Ethanol.......

It may work ok in a system thats designed for it and a race fuel alternative but its expensive crap for daily drivers.......

DRK
04-24-2008, 10:57 AM

I can show you what the 10% does to carb floats, brass jets, zinc coatings and rubber fuel lines if the stuff sits for more than a few days with out being used. Call any small engine repair shop and ask them what they think of Ethanol.......

It may work ok in a system thats designed for it and a race fuel alternative but its expensive crap for daily drivers.......

You guys must have some junk ass gas out there? We've had nothing but 10% here in Madison for 15+yrs and there are PLENTY of carb'd cars running around. I have been running the same lawn mower on 10% for 6yrs now and have had ZERO problems.

DurtyKurty
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM

There is plenty of evidence that it is hard on non ferrous metals (look at the other E85 thread). But that's not what I said.

Show me one example of it eating an o-ring or fuel line. It's not true.

DurtyKurty
04-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I have been running the same lawn mower on 10% for 6yrs now and have had ZERO problems.

:thumbsup

Same here.

swift steve
04-24-2008, 11:12 AM
E85 is great on performance cars, hands down. my cousin's GVR4 thats big turbo runs it and his timing map is AWESOME compared to when he had to run 93 octane. i definitely will be running it in my car(s) when i get it done....105 octane from the pump and cheaper than gas.....definitely worth the bad mpg for the gains you get.

GRNDNL
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
There is plenty of evidence that it is hard on non ferrous metals (look at the other E85 thread). But that's not what I said.

Show me one example of it eating an o-ring or fuel line. It's not true.

I'll have a picture for you tonight.....It turns fuel line rock hard and it cracks after 2 years of that 10% crap fuel we have to run......

DurtyKurty
04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I'll have a picture for you tonight.....It turns fuel line rock hard and it cracks after 2 years of that 10% crap fuel we have to run......

Don't bother. I just replaced the fuel line on my 15 year old snow blower that was rock hard. I attribute it to age and heat, but I really don't know.

Some harden, some don't. It depends what type of rubber the fuel line is made of from what I can tell.

In my experience automotive grade fuel line doesn't have the problem.

Syclone0044
04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
A friend of mine in Madison has run 100% E85 in his 91 Syclone for over a year now with no problems (and no special parts besides adjusting the chip & fuel pressure).

I am told the WRX forums are filled with guys running E85 with no problems.

I will give it a try later this year but my 50# injectors are probably too small to do a balls-out high boost test.

HY35F2T
04-24-2008, 03:30 PM
A friend of mine in Madison has run 100% E85 in his 91 Syclone for over a year now with no problems (and no special parts besides adjusting the chip & fuel pressure).

I am told the WRX forums are filled with guys running E85 with no problems.

I will give it a try later this year but my 50# injectors are probably too small to do a balls-out high boost test.

usually you need 30% more fuel.