PDA

View Full Version : vw tranny work?

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
does anybody know of any good places to go to get transmission work done on a 5 speed vw jetta. from what i gather these trannies are kinda a bear to deal with because of how they are stuffed in.

i was told to go to badger transmission but i figured somebody on here may know someplace better.

BoosTT
04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
might be worth looking into autobahn service. It looks like a crap hole, but it's really good. Stop by during the day and check out the lines of audis and vw's outside.

LIZMO
04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
all i know is evs is expensive, so DON'T go there. :thumbsup

but, theres a place on layton and about... 81st that works on foreign cars and they do a good job. and also autobaun on brown deer road and 107th st work on vdubs etc

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
all i know is evs is expensive, so DON'T go there. :thumbsup

but, theres a place on layton and about... 81st that works on foreign cars and they do a good job. and also autobaun on brown deer road and 107th st work on vdubs etc

why thank you liz..

i've had to take the bull by the horns to get my brothers dub fixed because he sucks at life and driving a standard trans.

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
might be worth looking into autobahn service. It looks like a crap hole, but it's really good. Stop by during the day and check out the lines of audis and vw's outside.

it sounds like ill have to take a swing past.

LIZMO
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
he should just sell it, green dubs suck. haha. jk. what is wrong with his tranny?

Flicktitty
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
www.autotrader.com
www.craigslist.com
www.ebay.com

do him a favor ;) lol

LIZMO
04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
haha agreed.

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
he should just sell it, green dubs suck. haha. jk. what is wrong with his tranny?

he is driving it thats whats wrong. i drove the car the other day. it seems like its got a throwout bearing or a possible clutch issue

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
www.autotrader.com
www.craigslist.com
www.ebay.com

do him a favor ;) lol

yeah. thats how i feel specially after i have been doing work on it for a month strait.

Reverend Cooper
04-22-2008, 10:46 PM
international autos or concours

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM

i'll have to check them out but ive heard they are extremely expensive

Flicktitty
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
i'll have to check them out but ive heard they are extremely expensive

well it is after all a VW. they are kind of know to be expensive to fix/buy/build/etc... best of luck with your choice it's gonna be a pricey fix though.

don't forget you get what you pay for.

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
well it is after all a VW. they are kind of know to be expensive to fix/buy/build/etc... best of luck with your choice it's gonna be a pricey fix though.

don't forget you get what you pay for.

yeah. thank god im not paying for it.

although i fear the day i have to do trans work on my car.."saab trans"

Slow Joe
04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
IA Don't have a VW Franchise, and Concours is $100 or $120/hour...

And your car don't have a true Saab trans, it does share some similarities though...

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 11:32 PM
IA Don't have a VW Franchise, and Concours is $100 or $120/hour...

And your car don't have a true Saab trans, it does share some similarities though...

please dont force me to crawl under my car and take a picture of the saab die stamp on the trans....

unless thats the similarity your talking about

Al
04-22-2008, 11:33 PM
ORileys is nice and costs less than a dealership.

I'm going to reccomend Matt's on 55 and Vliet. I just had some work done there and I have to commend them for their good prices and very fast work.

Slow Joe
04-22-2008, 11:34 PM
please dont force me to crawl under my car and take a picture of the saab die stamp on the trans....

unless thats the similarity your talking about

Yours must be a Supercharged SS then... Otherwise it's not the same transmission...

Edit:

2008 GME Sweden F35 (MC2)

2008 Model Year Summary
General Motors Powertrain – Europe F35 five-speed manual car transaxle

Carryover from 2007 Model Year

LOW MAINTENANCE

The MU3 uses a Castrol Burmah (BOT 0063) manual transmission fluid, and is validated as "fill-for-life". No maintenance is required for normal operation.

OVERVIEW

The F35 is a Saab-designed five-speed manual transaxle built in Saab’s Gothenburg, Sweden, powertrain plant. This extensively tested manual transmission was originally introduced in the 1984 Saab 9000, and today it is used in the Saab 9-3 and 9-5, Chevrolet Cobalt SS and on various Opel applications.

The F35 features a two-axis conventional transverse layout, fully synchronized gears, and compact packaging. It features higher torque carrying capacity than many other manual transaxles currently in use in North American small cars.

Different versions of the transaxle are available, depending upon application. Both cable and rod shift mechanisms are available, as well as application-specific clutch housings. The MU3 and MC2 are differentiated by ratios (see specs), with the MC2 available with a lower top-gear ratio.

Design features include triple-cone synchronizers on 1st and 2nd gears, and single-cone synchronizers for 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse gears.

A limited-slip differential is available for high-output applications. This torque-sensing differential is an all-mechanical geared unit that uses no clutch packs or preloading to transfer torque from one axle to the other, and torque transfer occurs automatically when one wheel loses traction. Torque transfer also occurs gradually, without steps.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/Whats%20New/Transmissions/2008%20Manual%20Transmission/08_F35_MC2.doc

That_Guy
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Yours must be a Supercharged SS then... Otherwise it's not the same transmission...

its just an ls. but there are saab stamps on the trans. i believe they used the case from it but it has a different gear ratios and no lsd.

i may be wrong but i know there is a saab stamp and part number

PureSound15
04-23-2008, 12:12 AM

QFT.

You could always take it to Boucher like I did with mine. They'll tell you the car is up on a rack waiting for a new transmission when really it's out in the parking lot unlocked, and then an employee rapes every electronic component out of the car and provides $10,000 of damage on top of the $4000 transmission bill. Delicious.

forest
04-23-2008, 06:48 AM
call Jeremy 1-262-349- 5712 he knows VW inside and out and has rebuilt several manual trannies on the newer stuff. I guess reverse gear likes to take a $hit.

That_Guy
04-23-2008, 09:57 AM
call Jeremy 1-262-349- 5712 he knows VW inside and out and has rebuilt several manual trannies on the newer stuff. I guess reverse gear likes to take a $hit.

sure does.. when i throw it into reverse i can hear a tooth floating around in there.

forest
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
yaeh, then call him for sure, hes done LOTS of those trannies