PDA

View Full Version : annoying oil leak

jbiscuit
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I have had this oil leak since I've had the car and yesterday it pissed me off. I have a rear oil leak somewhere that drips down the back of the block and ends up on the oil pan, tranny inspection cover etc and when you drive highway speeds, it ends up on the tranny pan, frame rails etc over time. I thought it might have been my oil pressure sender leaking so I snugged that up which may have been part of it but now I'm thinking it might be the intake leaking at the rear (notorious SBC leaking spot with aftermarket intake)? Any thoughts?

JC70SS
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
yes......take it out an immediately install a 427 BBC. Problem fixed.

juicedimpss
04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
yes......take it out an immediately install a 540 BBC. Problem fixed.

fixed

jbiscuit
04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
in time....in time. :)

jbiscuit
04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
this motor would look good in there too. Stroker 409 (482cu in), solid lifters and cam, balanced, 11.25:1 compression...made 567hp and 584lb ft torque. Best part is it looks ALL stock :)

http://i14.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/e9/83/6f39_12.JPG

Syclone0044
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Rear main seal??

SSDude
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I have had this oil leak since I've had the car and yesterday it pissed me off. I have a rear oil leak somewhere that drips down the back of the block and ends up on the oil pan, tranny inspection cover etc and when you drive highway speeds, it ends up on the tranny pan, frame rails etc over time. I thought it might have been my oil pressure sender leaking so I snugged that up which may have been part of it but now I'm thinking it might be the intake leaking at the rear (notorious SBC leaking spot with aftermarket intake)? Any thoughts?

If it's around the oil sender it may be the sender unit itself and not its threads.
Got one in the driveway now that's leaking at the top of the sender.

Wipe it down good and go for a ride around the block. When you get back look and feel around for anything wet with oil. :thumbsup

jbiscuit
04-22-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm going to play around with it more tomorrow....I'm thinking it was a combination of my new valve cover bolts not being tight enough (loosening up), the sender and possibly the rear main seal weeping a bit. I snugged up the intake bolts, the valve cover bolts and the sender t-fitting I have in the block and drove it around a bit yesterday and I still have a little oil leak coming from somewhere but nowhere near as bad as before.

thanks guys!