PDA

View Full Version : Elderly driver strikes again

Karps TA
04-21-2008, 06:56 AM
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/17958244.html?video=pop&t=a&brand=mkevideo

Some old person trying to park his car hit the gas instead of the brake at a Culvers in Plymouth. Crashes into a couple kids eating lunch outside. If this was a drunk driver it would be on the front page, not buried in the local news section.

Where's Mothers Against Old Drivers?

Cryptic
04-21-2008, 08:51 AM
my old 87' F150 did something similar to me... I gave it gas and the throttle stayed right there. I was able to brake and shut down the engine though. That was the nail in the coffin for that truck. It was just rusting to all hell.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Could have been much worse, hopefully everyone involved recovers fully and this kind of accident could happen to anyone, if the guy was drunk he was negiligent, if age caused it then it was probably an accident.

Sure elderly drivers have accidents and other dumb crap, so do young drivers and so do drivers of powerful muscle cars. Lets all hope it does not happen to us.

Car Guy
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm usually the first one to say something about 'older' drivers but this one might be different. I wasn't able to get all the facts I would have liked but believe that the driver was not directly at fault.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

TransAm12sec
04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
That reminds me of the 60 minutes episode on about Audi.

"This decline in sales was not helped in the USA by a 60 Minutes report which purported to show that Audi automobiles suffered from "unintended acceleration". The 60 Minutes report was based on customer reports of acceleration when the brake pedal was pushed. Independent investigators concluded that this was most likely due to a close placement of the accelerator and brake pedals (unlike American cars), and the inability, when not paying attention, to distinguish between the two. (In race cars, when manually downshifting under heavy braking, the accelerator has to be used in order to match revs properly, so both pedals have to be close to each other to be operated by the right foot at once, toes on the brake, heel on the accelerator; a driving technique called heel-and-toe). This did not become an issue in Europe, possibly due to more widespread experience among European drivers with manual transmissions."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi

That_Guy
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
thats to bad

i wouldnt blame the driver but w/e

Karps TA
04-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't buy the car malfunction as much as driver malfunction. Of course the driver will blame it on the car.

Atleast the drunks have the courtesy to do their driving late at night.

That_Guy
04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't buy the car malfunction as much as driver malfunction. Of course the driver will blame it on the car.

thats so true.

its tobad that they dont have the ability to see if it actualy stuck

Car Guy
04-21-2008, 04:14 PM

The throttle was at WOT one way or another. You can see marks from the tires spinning all the way across the patio area. That leads me to think that it was a RWD vehicle and the brakes weren't strong enough to hold it back.....

How exactly the throttle got 'stuck' open and who/what is at fault is TBD.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

CobraSnake
04-21-2008, 06:44 PM

So you think the old guy is gonna hits some kids and hold the accellerator in then hit two park cars after the fact just to prove his point?

Breecher_7
04-21-2008, 06:49 PM
So you think the old guy is gonna hits some kids and hold the accellerator in then hit two park cars after the fact just to prove his point?

Well you wouldnt think someone would take there mommy to a job interview either but stranger things have happened...... :rolf

Korndogg
04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Well you wouldnt think someone would take there mommy to a job interview either but stranger things have happened...... :rolf

:rolf:rolf:rolf

Karps TA
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM

He probably dropped his cataract sunglasses down undertthe gas pedal jamming it, after he hit the go pedal instead of the stop pedal while looking for his 5% off senior citizen coupon.

Most old people are a menace behind the wheel.

Silver03SRT
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/17958244.html?video=pop&t=a&brand=mkevideo

Some old person trying to park his car hit the gas instead of the brake at a Culvers in Plymouth. Crashes into a couple kids eating lunch outside. If this was a drunk driver it would be on the front page, not buried in the local news section.

Where's Mothers Against Old Drivers?

Thats because a drunk driver is at fault. This guys car freaked out. My brother was killed by a drunk driver. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers.

y2kws6
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I know the results all too well. My son has 68 stitches and 18 staples in his head while I have a 9" gouge out of my leg. They revived my son on the scene thankfully.

79 year old man in a 70 pick up = over 400 feet of driving taking out me and my son (45 foot flight), two trucks, two motorcycles and a car being totalled. Nothing found wrong with the vehicle.

The police could not pull his license, but could request a retest which he failed. BTW - It was the Fire chief of that towns father and no drug/alcohol test was done. After about 6 month he retook the test and passed. Two weeks later hit someone else. Retest failed again. Third time passed, but was restricted to 15 mile from home (we were 8).

Dan

srt4eh
04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
damn