PDA

View Full Version : Tank slapping fun for everyone!

T-Bag
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Fvck, I've had several scary moments over the last couple of days with my machine. On heavy acceleration, a few seconds after shifting from second to third (around 100-110mph) my front end gets so friggin light and would start throwing the bars in a mild tank slap. Friends behind me (the second time this happened) thought I was going down for sure...but I rode it out.

This started to concern me, as it was the second time it happened in a couple of days, so I went home and did some reading on suspension/fork tuning and what might be causing my problem. Turns out the rebound dampening adjustments were WAYYY out of wack. I'm talking the left fork was nearly 4 turns out and the right fork was only about 1 turn out. So I tuned the suspension based off of some recommended settings and hopefully this solves my problem. I also had to adjust the compression dampening on top of the forks a little bit.

Tank slapping is scary as shit, especially after happening several times. I think its also time to invest in a steering stabilizer.

Junky Giorgio
04-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Indeed it is time to invest in a nice steering stabilizer. This happened to me late last fall while on my brothers 636 ninja driving down Bluemound rd when I clicked about 120mph and hit a bump in the road and caused a nasty tank slapper. My buddy slowed down behind to get ready to pick me up off the ground, but I saved it and $h*t my pants. That being my 1st time back on a bike since my crash at Road America in last July that ended up in a high side...and maybe my last time on a bike.

ND4SPD
04-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Nice save... can't say I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing a tank slapper.

juicedimpss
04-21-2008, 08:10 AM
make sure the steering head bearings are adjusted properly as well.

Crawlin
04-21-2008, 08:55 AM
not fun...

had one way back on the gixxer thinking I was in 2nd to clutch up a stand up going down I94 but i was really in 3rd and i bounced it a bit to get it up and bam, into a tank slapper. sat back down and gave it a little gas to get the weight off the front end a bit and rode it out. like you guys have said, scariest shit in the world. immediately(without even getting off the bike) i went to motorsports factory and ordered the scott's dampner

Breecher_7
04-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Stabilizer FTW.... I wont ride without one.

juicedimpss
04-21-2008, 04:41 PM

pvssy
:banana1:

Breecher_7
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
pvssy
:banana1:

I guess so...... :rolf

forest
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I just start getting it in 5th gear at 11500 rpm on the Kawi. I have no idea how fast I am actually going but I just stiffen up and hold the throttle open right where its just wigglin a little bit haha.

sloLs1
04-21-2008, 08:52 PM

hell yea... touching down wheelies over 120pmh gets kinda scary at times!

when that death wobble begins you gotta sack up and grab motor throttle!

Josepy
04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Every rocket that I have ever owned the first thing I did was put a steering stabilizer on it.