PDA

View Full Version : Any forklift mechanics here?

badass88gt
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm looking for a forklift mechanic that can tell me how to add a little speed to my ride. Not looking to go crazy, but its a f-ing turd, I cant stand it. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks-Dan

lordairgtar
04-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Don't a lot of those have some kind of governor on them? Of course you could always install nitrous. LOL

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
What brand of truck is it and how old is it ?

The late model (5000# 2000's) Toyota fork truck we have at work had some type of governor under the LP carb, when the carb and regulator went bad and I had to replace them I messed around with that governor and it stopped working completely, the thing probably only turned 2400 rpms stock and probably now turns 4800 pretty easy, it has a ton of power.
I adjusted the factory stop under the gas pedal to keep the revs low when pressing on the pedal but there is a lever right next to the gas pedal where you can press that down and bypass the throttle stop, when revving the engine whines like a blower, the truck is fast as heck and lifts loads super fast.
I hate jap stuff but it is a nice truck, smooth running and driving with good power, control layout and build quality.

Our older Clark (5000# 1970's) has a continental engine with a mechanical engine governor and I never massed with it, revs about 2200 you can bypass the governor for a little bit by attaching a rope/wire/cable to the throttle linkage/valve and pulling on it (governor rope) but the mechanical governor will fight you and pull back on the linkage in an attempt to slow an over speeding engine, so you can only get short bursts of power.
I have beat this truck into the ground every day for the last 8 years and it will not die or even miss a beat.

And our 15,000 pound 1970's Hyster with a 2 speed automatic trans and flathead 6 engine seems to have no rev limiter, I probably rev it to around 4000 rpms before I shift to second or when lifting a load, while heavy its pretty fast and smooth running and driving truck, love the single stick for hoist and tilt and 7' long forks, mechanical governor appears to have been bypassed years ago, gas pedal is a direct connection to the LP carb.

I also have a 1950's Allis Chalmers 5000 pounder at home with a 2 speed manual trans that someone bypassed the mechanical limiter on, it revs to the moon also.
The 2 speed manual is fun to drive in that too, when I use to use it at work before I bout it for homeI would drive around turning the key off while in gear to make it backfire, about 6 of those and the muffler blew to bits, it now sounds like open headers 4 banger, good runner but no power steering sucks.

Sorry for rambling but I love these things. :D I do some trucking at work in addition to the other 7 thousand varied jobs I do there. :rolf

badass88gt
04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I drive a Yale, not sure of the model. I do know its a late model LP 4 cylinder.

88Nightmare
04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
we have a few trucks at work, I primarily drive a late model 6000# Toyota. Its not bad on power. We also have a Taylor truck, not sure what its rated at, but it has airbrakes, 2 speed forward, 2 speed reverse, and it appears to have some sort of a V8 in it. I don't know how to work on them though

nitrous
04-16-2008, 12:44 AM
There's not a bolt under the accelerator is there?

84hurst
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
i've seen smoke come out of the tires on the Nissan 50's at my work! :rolf

We too have a hyster, it's got a bad muffler so the b*tch is loud as f*ck!

As for the governor, I think most have the screw in the floor board under the gas pedal.