PDA

View Full Version : About Buying a Cheap Bike...

BoosTT
04-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying a cheap bike to learn how to ride on. It would be my first street bike. I have ridden a few dirt bikes, pocket bikes, and mopeds before, but noting at all serious. I found a old 1990 600cc sport bike that runs and is in good shape according to the owner for $1000.

A. Is this a good bike to learn on? I figured for $1000 I can't go wrong.

B. What do I check when looking at a bike? Tires, fork seals, ect? I don't plan on attempting to ride it until after some serious pratice at home.

Rocket Power
04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
CHeck the tires, seals, chain, brakes. And take an MSF course

BoosTT
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
How do I check the chain? I plan to take the msf course for sure!

moels
04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Same as a bike chain, make sure it's in decent shape and check the slack in it.

I will most likely be getting a bike to save on some gas this summer. I've had a few 600 sportbikes and they are reletively easy to ride.

pOrk
04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a great bike to learn on, and easy on the pocket book as well. Should be easy to re-sell for a grand down the road if you decide to upgrade. Make sure chain isn't dry and its got about an inch of slack. Tires are about 100 bucks a pop just for reference, so it would help if it had good rubbers :)

T-Bag
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
What kind of bike is it? Honda CBR or a Kawi or somethin? Be careful...even older 600cc sportbikes are scary fast especially if you've never rode a bike before.

Most people recommend starting of on a 250 or a 500 or something...but I can't really talk because I started on a 96 CBR 600 F3.

Be careful, I'd recommend taking a MSF course...if he has any stands for the bike, have him lift up the rear and/or front tire and check for play from side to side and up and down. Do this for both wheels, also check the front sprocket for any play.