PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck Trailer hitches, anyone know whats up?

pOrk
04-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Looking at a gooseneck trailer in Madison tomorrow, but I don't have a goose on my truck yet. A bud is going to pick it up for me, but I gotta get one on pretty soon since I want to get using it right away.

I'm looking for something I can remove the ball from or a fold down / drop down style hitch. What do you guys suggest as far as brand / style? Also, the smaller the hole I gotta cut, the better ;-)

lasttimearound
04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
a guy i work with, just got an entire removable 5 wheel/gooseneck set up for his ram, ill have to ask him what brand his is. what happend to your other two trailers?

pOrk
04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't want the 5th wheel, don't have the room for it when it isn't in the truck and I won't be hauling anything that would need that style hitch either. Not with this truck anyways.

I just traded the flatbed and cash for another enclosed, sold the black enclosed I got off here and looking to get this one. Next will be a tax id number, hopefully.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
What are you hoping to do that you need a tax id # for.

If your looking to haul things for money, I looked into it. I dont think there is enough money in it to justify the wear and tear on the vehicle. Im having one of my horses shipped from here to upstate NY for under $600. I cant imagine how there making much money on that. After fuel, wear and tear, food, lodging and whatever else theres nothing left.

Ive browsed over "uship.com" and what people want to pay nothing.

If ya get some big time payers though, id be more then happy to move some loads for ya though!

88Nightmare
04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
What are you hoping to do that you need a tax id # for.

If your looking to haul things for money, I looked into it. I dont think there is enough money in it to justify the wear and tear on the vehicle. Im having one of my horses shipped from here to upstate NY for under $600. I cant imagine how there making much money on that

perhaps they are hauling more then one horse at once? perhaps they are carrying other things too, who knows? id bet they are hauling at least 4 horses at a time. you could just be a stop along the way on their way out to cali.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
perhaps they are hauling more then one horse at once? perhaps they are carrying other things too, who knows? id bet they are hauling at least 4 horses at a time. you could just be a stop along the way on their way out to cali.

Mike, please step back and remember that you have probably never shipped live animals or livestock and no nothing about it. Its probably the most difficult thing you could move. THey are responsible for loading, unloading, feeding, watering, and not to mention the horse im moving is HUGE and requires a 9' trailer wich are HARD to find. There will be two other horses in the trailer that are also going to other states and the mover is coming from texas. Based on his other stops and distance, he cant be making much. Atleast anywhere near what I would consider moving them for. It was going to cost me $600 in fuel alone to move her myself. I was better of paying someone else.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I did this all last summer while I was unemployed, and it not only covered the vehicle ( .40 cents a mile is what I use for tire / oil / brake wear), fuel and lodging, overnight hotel stays and personal expenses, but the trailer rental fee's and over 20 bucks an hour for seat time. Its not huge money, but its more then I make as a Brake Press Operator and a lot more fun / interesting.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
You were averaging $20 an hour after fuel and maitenance and lodging?? I dont know how that worked out but if thats true, i retract my statement, thats not bad for sitting on your ass.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Mike, please step back and remember that you have probably never shipped live animals or livestock and no nothing about it. Its probably the most difficult thing you could move. THey are responsible for loading, unloading, feeding, watering, and not to mention the horse im moving is HUGE and requires a 9' trailer wich are HARD to find. There will be two other horses in the trailer that are also going to other states and the mover is coming from texas. Based on his other stops and distance, he cant be making much. Atleast anywhere near what I would consider moving them for. It was going to cost me $600 in fuel alone to move her myself. I was better of paying someone else.

Shipping farm animals isn't good money, thats for sure. I hauled some of those goofy fainting goats, I think I actually posted about the first one I hauled here on the forum somewhere.

Its a lot of work keeping the animals happy on the road, and that is a concern when you are keeping them in the trailer for more then a few hours to both the seller and buyer of the animals. That, and I don't know enough about animals to do anything if one of them gets hurt during shipping. Most of my shipments were vehicles, motorcycles, and special needs items that freight shippers avoid.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
You were averaging $20 an hour after fuel and maitenance and lodging?? I dont know how that worked out but if thats true, i retract my statement, thats not bad for sitting on your ass.

Its a real headache scheduling everything, I plan to hire someone to do the scheduling / booking for me if I start doing it full time. I have a 3 day work week and getting my feet wet is about as far as I am going to take it for a few more months.

Its not easy finding the jobs, but some of them once you have them you have them till you mess up. Those are the jobs I'm hoping to find.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Just doing some quick math. If you move somthing 1000 miles, thats only $400 at .40 a mile. How are you making money? Id spend near $300 on fuel alone based on a 5000# load.

88Nightmare
04-13-2008, 07:32 PM

you really don't know shit about me, my knowledge, or anything else like that. so maybe you should step back with your judgemental remarks. Everyone has their own definition of "good money" but I've been around livestock since I was about 5 or 6, so I know more then you think. I'm not saying anyone is getting rich off of shipping livestock, but I'm sure they aren't on the corner begging for money either :thumbsup

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:34 PM
you really don't know shit about me, my knowledge, or anything else like that. so maybe you should step back with your judgemental remarks. Everyone has their own definition of "good money" but I've been around livestock since I was about 5 or 6, so I know more then you think. I'm not saying anyone is getting rich off of shipping livestock, but I'm sure they aren't on the corner begging for money either :thumbsup

I cant move it any cheaper then they are. So i dont see how there "making money" Plain and simple. The average rate for a horse is $3.00 to $3.50 a loaded mile, with those rates you make bank. But for what this guy is charging, i cant imagine how he makes a living.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:34 PM
covered the vehicle ( .40 cents a mile is what I use for tire / oil / brake wear), fuel and lodging, overnight hotel stays and personal expenses, but the trailer rental fee's and over 20 bucks an hour for seat time

And by over, I mean just over. Less then 21;)

.41 cents per mile covers vehicle wear and tear, thats it. Its more or less profit, but goes directly into the bank to pay the truck payments or pay for expenses when stuff breaks. That is about what it costs a truck to operate without figuring in fuel.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I cant move it any cheaper then they are. So i dont see how there "making money" Plain and simple. The average rate for a horse is $3.00 to $3.50 a loaded mile, with those rates you make bank. But for what this guy is charging, i cant imagine how he makes a living.

He could be retired and does it to pay his expenses and see the country. Lots of guys on uship do it for that reason alone, hence the low shipping prices.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:37 PM
And by over, I mean just over. Less then 21;)

.41 cents per mile covers vehicle wear and tear, thats it. Its more or less profit, but goes directly into the bank to pay the truck payments or pay for expenses when stuff breaks. That is about what it costs a truck to operate without figuring in fuel.

So im trying to understand where the money is coming from. Like i said, .40 a mile comes to $400 for a 1000 mile trip. How is that paying for fuel and whatever else plus putting $20 an hour in your pocket? Please explain.. I know some people that would do that full time for that money.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Re-read the thread Tony. You are way over-thinking this.

I charge a LOT more then 41 cents a mile is what I'm saying. Thats just one of the figures I use to calculate a total charge for the shipment.

Anyways, I'd rather not talk about this because I don't need any more competition there is plenty of it as it is. I am looking for a hitch.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Re-read the thread Tony. You are way over-thinking this.

I charge a LOT more then 41 cents a mile is what I'm saying. Thats just one of the figures I use to calculate a total charge for the shipment.

:rolf I figured

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
^ Are you retarded?

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I have my days Eric, i definitly do.

88Nightmare
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
lets break this down.

.41 per mile = what pork figures for expenditure OTHER then fuel. wear and tear. that is the absolute base price of his shipping bids. ontop of this base price, he adds in his cost of fuel + his time behind the wheel. so:

(.41 x miles) + fuel costs + personal salary = money in the bank

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, i got it Mike. The way he had it worded turned me around. Dont mind me, i have my days.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:50 PM
lol

Back to the hitch...

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
**** your hitch... You need a bigger truck now......

pOrk
04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Thats next

UnderPSI
04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I am getting a reese flip over ball style. All you have then is a 4" hole in the bed. I would either get a reese or a b&w. Both have hitches rated for 30,000lbs. They install under the bed with out having to take them off. I am also getting some firestone air bags to help level the load.

BadAzzGTA89
04-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I am getting a reese flip over ball style. All you have then is a 4" hole in the bed. I would either get a reese or a b&w. Both have hitches rated for 30,000lbs. They install under the bed with out having to take them off. I am also getting some firestone air bags to help level the load.

X2 on the air bags and the Reese.

pOrk
04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I am going with helper bags as well, I think I'm going to go with the firestone brackets and Slam bags. I already have on board air so I am going to plumb it as I would normal air suspension so I can adjust from the cab :)

70challenger
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
back to the topic at hand- my dad had a reese hitch that bolted to the main frame of the bed in his 3500 dually ram which pulled our 48' pace bidfoot gooseneck enclosed trailer loaded with the race car and all the shit. we have since upgraded to a fullsize kenworth w/ a 525hp cummins because it wause just to much wear and tear on the truck. i think they now make gooseneck hithes that mount underneath the bed with just the ball that sticks though that works very well.

nitrous
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm in the wrong business.

UnderPSI
04-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I am going with helper bags as well, I think I'm going to go with the firestone brackets and Slam bags. I already have on board air so I am going to plumb it as I would normal air suspension so I can adjust from the cab :)

I am sure you know this, and I am probably better off telling this to a wall, but make sure each airbag has its own solenoid. Otherwise taking corners will fill the opposite bag and be worse.

indyzmike
04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Its not huge money, but its more then I make as a Brake Press Operator and a lot more fun / interesting.

Yea, you can scare the crap outta people with the train horns from NY City all the way to LA!

wrath
04-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I am sure you know this, and I am probably better off telling this to a wall, but make sure each airbag has its own solenoid. Otherwise taking corners will fill the opposite bag and be worse.

I second that motion. Been there, done that.

Helwig makes some cheap sway bars that make a big difference too.

All my trucks I've ever had got this done immediately:
Ginormous ATF cooler
Remove rear lift blocks
Install independent airbags
Install beefier front sway bar
Install rear sway bar

Some got engine oil coolers.

Oh, and don't forget to put shocks on your trailer. It makes a world of difference when loaded and unloaded. Unloaded it helps keep the trailer from beating the shit out of your truck and when loaded it keeps the trailer from bouncing the load around/loosening chains.

pOrk
04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I have a trans and oil cooler on the truck.

As far as the helper bags, I would be doing a 4 valve setup :)