PDA

View Full Version : For those that work @ Napa/Advanced/Auto Zone....

awsomeears
04-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I know a few of you work at one of these auto stores, Well I went to all of the above and brought my 3" o2 housing to see if they have any gaskets to match up.

All I got was :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Guy from Napa was cool and just told me to head on over to Huckstorf witch is a good idea so props to him :thumbsup

This is what I have : http://www.modernperformance.com/images/mpx_srt_3inch_o2pipe%5B1%5D.jpg

Inside Diameter is 3 1/8 so I would like to find something close if not a tad bigger because the whole point of upgrading to 3" is Flow so I don't want a gasket to over hang on the inside.

Any help would be great :thumbsup

srt4eh
04-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Did you ask Modern? I know they're pretty good with helping with items they sell/made.

awsomeears
04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Did you ask Modern? I know they're pretty good with helping with items they sell/made.

I meant to say mine is exactly like that, pattern wise :thumbsup
I didn't purchase it from them, all though I Just spent $1200 there in the past week :crying:rolf

DurtyKurty
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Looking for a gasket for the turbo side or down pipe side? I have had very good luck with lapping the two surfaces so that they are very flat. If you get them flat, you don't need a gasket. Otherwise you can make one out of some stainless shim stock. If the gasket is for the down pipe side, you could maybe get away with a softer material like brass.

Russ Jerome
04-14-2008, 10:50 AM
High temp discharges like that rarely run gaskets, look at any TO4 or
TO3 swiggvalve. When the two metals quickly heat up the expanding
metal seals on its own. The rate of expansion happens so often during
operation it chews up even MLS gaskets, the EGTs are highest as they
leave the combustion chamber and head south.

Syclone0044
04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm dealing with an exhaust leak at my cast iron turbo exhaust manifold, to cast iron cylinder head connection. GM didnt use a gasket from the factory, but once you remove them, you must use a gasket due to the surface roughness and all the carbon/rust that gets caked on.

To solve this leak, I was thinking of having the manifold face milled flat and then running either the Fel Pro silver/graphite looking gaskets, or the new GM MLS stainless steel gaskets off the 2003+ 4.3 V6. What do you guys think?? Russ?

Beagle
04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
id say ask them to look through their gaskets if you already havent asked them. other than that you could make your own gasket. thats a pretty easy gasket to cut out so thats what i would do. good luck.

Russ Jerome
04-14-2008, 07:32 PM
GM didnt use a gasket from the factory, but once you remove them, you must use a gasket due to the surface roughness and all the carbon/rust that gets caked on.

To solve this leak, I was thinking of having the manifold face milled flat and then running either the Fel Pro silver/graphite looking gaskets, or the new GM MLS stainless steel gaskets off the 2003+ 4.3 V6.

Im a fan of the multi layer steel gaskets, may not need to mill.

I've also pulled turbo manifolds I have built and actualy seen
where the FelPro Ultra copper spray I put on months earlier
was still there, stuff holds up to heat very well.

Unlike the downpipe, the manifold can see twice the backpressure
as the compressor side (20psi boost/40psi exhaust psi) depending
on turbo choice. Common of factory turbo cars to have high psi in
manifold for quick responce and small turbo.