PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel, Anyone interested?

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Ok, With rising fuel costs I am seriously considering purchasing a Biodiesel machine. Ive found several models in the 3-4K range that can produce 120 Gallons of Bio within 24hrs. For under $1.00 a gallon. I know there are a few other diesel trucks on this board and im wondering if any of you have strongly considered doing this. I know I personally use around 30-50 gallons a week and I can see this paying for iteslf very quickly. I wouldnt use it during the winter as there seems to be serious gelling issues with bio but for spring summer and fall I cant see beating a buck a gallon.

I know where I can get as much used oil as I want so thats not an issue. But what I dont know is a local place that sell pure methanol or how much it costs. From what I see it takes about 8 gallons of meth for every 40 gallons of bio.

Anyone else show any interest in this?

Im looking at one of these two systems.

http://www.cascadebiodiesel.com/products.php

Korndogg
04-13-2008, 10:56 AM
doesn't smokey sell methanol? Or is that a mix?

Cryptic
04-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Very Interested...

UnderPSI
04-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I never liked the idea. Having to add extra fuel filters, and changing all the filters every three weeks isn't that appealing to me. I talked to a guy who did it for 6 months. Said he would never put that through his truck again.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Ive heard nothing about having to change filters that often.. Everything ive read just leads to an initial change of the factory filter and slowly working your way from a mix of % bio to pure bio due to how it cleans the fuel system out.

Never heard anything about having to add additional filters.

Ive never liked the idea either, untill diesel hit $4 a gallon.

UnderPSI
04-13-2008, 11:14 AM
He had nothing but problems, you should have seen the fuel filters when he cut them open after 3 weeks of use. He quit using it when it all started gelling in the winter. He talked with the company (fuelmeister) to double check that every thing was right. They plainly told him that it isn't true diesel, so there will be problems. That was enough for him to get rid of it.

He actually sold it to his buddy, and he used it for a couple of months and then got rid of it. It is really easy to find vegetable oil though.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I know it poses problems in the winter but I dont plan to use it in the winter. As far as the fuel though. I dont know, ive talked with a few people and everything ive heard has been good other then some issues with the earlier models and the hoses deteriorating. But i guess they have fixed that. Most people are claiming 7-10k on fuel filters.

Coudl it be possible he was not washing the fuel?

SSDude
04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't forget to pay your Biofuel tax.
http://domesticfuel.com/2007/03/25/wisconsin-taxing-home-brewed-biodiesel/

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 11:57 AM
:rolf Yeah, ill get right on that....... :alcoholic

Reverend Cooper
04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
they just had a show on powerblock about that,there is a heater in the fuel cell,insulated lines and heater in the filter,then when shut off it pulls all the fuel from the system back to the tank so it wont jell, they had it on a vw diesal i believe in a tracker or samurai or something

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
they just had a show on powerblock about that,there is a heater in the fuel cell,insulated lines and heater in the filter,then when shut off it pulls all the fuel from the system back to the tank so it wont jell, they had it on a vw diesal i believe in a tracker or samurai or something

That was straight veggie oil, sorry to burst your bubble. Not biodiesel, Bio is blended with Methanol.

I saw the episode as well.

Reverend Cooper
04-13-2008, 12:08 PM
oh yeah i guess thats not a good option cuz its free. you can get it at most restaurants and like the show says some places may pay you to take it..douche

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Um, same goes for the oil you need to make Bio. The downfall is that you are running PURE veggie oil through your vehicle, to me and im sure many others that DOES NOT sound appealing. Not to mention If its not flushed properly before shut down its gonna be a serious problem. IMO its not worth the hassle and the VERY possible problems that could come along with it.

Do some research before you shoot off your mouth. Still waiting for you to man up with your trash talking in the SUV thread.

Reverend Cooper
04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
it flushes itself dumbass obviously your watched the show. my FJ couldnt pull your truck i was talking shit because you and boy with the dildorado think the only trucks to have are chvy's. we dont have to many trans issues with the toyota's and i havent had any fuel leaks issues. and i would want to listen to you ***** about the paint being ****ed up on your truck if the chain broke and it dinged your beauty.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Probably easier to just buy and drive a fuel pincher car for the hassle involved with making this crap safe for a brand new $50k truck.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Way to try to dance around your trash talking. I commend you on your effort. I dont mind if someone talks trash then backs up there shit. But for someone to just run there mouth and do nothing about it, it doesnt get anymore gutless and childish then that.

As far as it "flushing itself" If you want to trust a solenoid and a Timer to fush straight oil out of your engine, you go right ahead. I dont trust it. Not on a 45K vehicle. Not to mention that system requires to to "modify" your fuel system therefore effecting the warranty. Biodiesel goes right in the tank like regular diesel and there is no flushing or BS involved. Im sure if you take your veggie machine in for warranty work because left over oil solidified in your fuel lines they are just going to laugh and tell you to open your check book.

Its a great idea for someone with an older vehicle that does really care, but for people that actually rely on there vehicles, i dont buy it. And if you think its just me, search some diesel forums and you will see the same outlook on it.

I believe this is what you are referring to.

http://www.greasecar.com/

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Probably easier to just buy and drive a fuel pincher car for the hassle involved with making this crap safe for a brand new $50k truck.

I used to think that untill i talked to some people that do it. They say it takes about 20 mins of acutal work, then just let it roll on its own. Im becoming a believer.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-13-2008, 12:23 PM
What kind of oil do you use for biodiesel ?

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:25 PM
What kind of oil do you use for biodiesel ?

Must use, used deep fryer oil.

Reverend Cooper
04-13-2008, 12:27 PM
if you can afford a 45k truck why hell are you worried about fuel costs.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Because im a cheap ass. And if I can make fuel for $1.00 a gallon, why not? Whats the point of spending $150 on fuel a week when i can spend less then $50? And not that im a tree hugger by ANY means, but its better for the environment.

Plus if i can make 200 gallons of fuel a week without even putting time into it, why not? I know plenty of people with diesels that would love some cheap fuel.

nitroxtreme
04-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I have also been looking into it..I just have heard alot of cons to the bio thing. I have a new truck and don't want to wreck it....But when I bought the truck fuel prices where high 2 range...I maybe looking at different options

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 12:42 PM
My truck is 2 months old and im not worried about wrecking it. The worst thing bio is gonna do is mess up your filter "if" it wasnt cleaned enough. Other then that there really isnt any risk. GM even allows BIO to be used per there warranty, ive already looked into it.

USMARINE1108
04-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I've always been interested in doing it, just need a diesel! :rolf

I planed on putting a diesel motor in my Volks Fox, but the car had so many issues it wasnt worth it.

Karps TA
04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
GM allows it like any engine mfg, but they don't warranty against it. It's use at your own risk. If things break because of using biodiesel they will not cover it. As far as I'm aware there is no diesel mfgs that offer full warranty with using biodiesel, because there is no standards for it. Everyone is mixing it differently.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Full warranty up to B10 (10% bio), if you use anything more then that its "at your own risk" But they still have to prove that the problem was caused by Bio. Fact is, for mechical parts in a diesel engine Bio is better for the engine then ULSD. It has better lube properties and runs alot cleaner. Bio itself is not a hazzard to your engine, but as brad mentioned earlier it can potentially clog up filters quicker.

forest
04-13-2008, 01:21 PM
I would let you sell it here to whomever wants it. I think if done right, at 1.50 a gallon with enough customers, you could be driving around with no fuel cost at all.......

modmachz
04-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I have methanol and that is higher than it was last year at this time.
262-521-2250
Donny...

I am sure chad can get methanol as well.

forest
04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
hey what up Donny!! When can you get me your Company Logo for the dyno days Flyers? I would like to get them printed by wednesday. Forest 1-414-322-0280

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I would let you sell it here to whomever wants it. I think if done right, at 1.50 a gallon with enough customers, you could be driving around with no fuel cost at all.......

I really dont plan on making that kind of quantity. Nor do i have ENOUGH oil supply currently to make over 200 gallons a week. That may be pushing it a little at that. This is just a thought at this point, i havent ordered anything yet. And i think I could EASILY get half of what regular diesel costs for it if not more.

For those with methanol, put up some prices for 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
hey what up Donny!! When can you get me your Company Logo for the dyno days Flyers? I would like to get them printed by wednesday. Forest 1-414-322-0280

Yeah, your slacking... That blue thing runnin yet?

forest
04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, your slacking... That blue thing runnin yet?

Haha yeah right, try working 16hrs a day 7 days a week, trust me, its tough, its a miracle I even have a gf...... :stare and I just got the motor bolted in right now in the blue thing ;) I know its nothing special, just a little ol LSx.... mabe it will go 13's even!!!!

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Haha yeah right, try working 16hrs a day 7 days a week, trust me, its tough, its a miracle I even have a gf...... :stare and I just got the motor bolted in right now in the blue thing ;) I know its nothing special, just a little ol LSx.... mabe it will go 13's even!!!!

LOL, i wouldnt doubt it. Good luck with traction.... Whens it getting tuned?

Prince Valiant
04-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I am OPPOSED to you making your own biodiesel. Then you'll become like all those other greedy oil tycoon's and crazy middle-eastern shieks with grape feeding covered faced ho's. :fire

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 01:49 PM
LOL, I dont think 200 gallons a week will get me that far!!

forest
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
No it won't, but you can sure try!!!! haha. and as for the blue thing, he decided to go back to stock, with low boost....... I swear.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
No it won't, but you can sure try!!!! haha. and as for the blue thing, he decided to go back to stock, with low boost....... I swear.

All that engine? All the Fuel? and he is gonna run what 8psi? Are f'ning kidding me? What a waste of money......

forest
04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
no more like 6psi

PonyKiller87
04-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm really interested in making / running biodiesel. Read some of the posts and then skipped pasted them.

I've researched the crap out of this topic and pretty much for it to be successful you have to have a good rig to make it. The more you filter it during your process the better it will be and the less trouble you will have with the filters on your truck.

Breecher can you send me a link to the rig your looking at? Most of the ones Ive seen cost alot more or they require a fair amount of work during the process. After looking at alot of the designs out there I think I could build a rig the would be mostly automated for about $5000

Biggest problem Ive found is fuel storage. You say you go through about 30-50 gal a week. I dont know about you but I would rather make a couple hundred gallons every few months rather than have to make a batch every week to keep up with what I need. So I you wanted to put even a 200 gal strogae tank in your garage you will run into serious legal and EPA issues storing that amount of fuel on a residential property. Only way around it that I have found is have enough land to be classified Hobby farm or Farm, then you are allowed to store fuel.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm really interested in making / running biodiesel. Read some of the posts and then skipped pasted them.

I've researched the crap out of this topic and pretty much for it to be successful you have to have a good rig to make it. The more you filter it during your process the better it will be and the less trouble you will have with the filters on your truck.

Breecher can you send me a link to the rig your looking at? Most of the ones Ive seen cost alot more or they require a fair amount of work during the process. After looking at alot of the designs out there I think I could build a rig the would be mostly automated for about $5000

Biggest problem Ive found is fuel storage. You say you go through about 30-50 gal a week. I dont know about you but I would rather make a couple hundred gallons every few months rather than have to make a batch every week to keep up with what I need. So I you wanted to put even a 200 gal strogae tank in your garage you will run into serious legal and EPA issues storing that amount of fuel on a residential property. Only way around it that I have found is have enough land to be classified Hobby farm or Farm, then you are allowed to store fuel.

Land is not an issue... So im not worried about that. There is a link to the system im looking at in my very first post. Im thinking that if I produce the bio and wash it with the system, THEN run it through a filter system (like what is on the truck) it will get ANYTHING that could cause an issue out before it goes into the truck. I dont think going through another fine particle filter would be to big of a issue or somthing to rig up.

PonyKiller87
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Damn, totaly missed the link, lol

Just looked at it, yeah I wouldn't suggest that setup if your planning on making as much as your talking about. Even if you go with there 2 tank setup the transfer pump is never going to last that thing is tiny.

When I get to work tomorrow I will post up the links I have to some higher grade systems. Which are also higher priced but I think I could copy / build there system alot cheeper than they sell it for.

As far as filtering goes I would put a filter that is bigger (higher capacity) and higher filtering level than the trucks filter just to insure that it wont strain the trucks system.

So you have land? Your not worried about storage? No nosey neighbors what would start asking questions if you had a coupld of drums of fuel sitting next to your garage? lol I live in a city so theres almost no way I could make it work short of building a shed and hiding it and hoping I never get caught.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Lets just say I have a place I can put it If it comes to that but im not looking to storr hundreds of gallons of fuel unless others want to come onboard with this venture. As far as the "pump" on that system is concerned. If thats the only problem I dont really care, Mcmaster carr is only one call away and in comes a new pump. Other then that the system seems fine. Id just like to add a 10 micron filter setup so after the fuel is washed I can prefilter it before it goes to the truck. then NO problems. I know people with this setup that dont pre-filter anything and havent had any problems.

lasttimearound
04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
if my deal with a 2g cummins goes through, id definitely be on board!

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 04:41 PM
If your truely serious about it, and are very close to putting it all together i can possibly help with Meth prices. But i would say your looking at $3.25-$4.00 for VP or Torco meth. 99.9% pure

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 04:44 PM
If your truely serious about it, and are very close to putting it all together i can possibly help with Meth prices. But i would say your looking at $3.25-$4.00 for VP or Torco meth. 99.9% pure

in 55 gallon drums? People on the diesel forums claim to be getting 99.9 racing Meth for $2 a gallon

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
in 55 gallon drums? People on the diesel forums claim to be getting 99.9 racing Meth for $2 a gallon

not this year. Like Donny said all the costs have almost doubled. But if they can get it for that more power to them.

Every dealer i have talked is priced at $3/gal +

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
still not horrible. Even at $4.00 a gallon its coming out to about a $1 gallon to make bio.

Breecher_7
04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
The only thing that concerns me is that B100 is pretty rough on rubber and such. Im wondering how long it would take to kill hoses and o-rings in the trucks fuel system.

modmachz
04-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Forest stop in if you can on your way to your shop and I will give you the logo..

Donny...

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Forest stop in if you can on your way to your shop and I will give you the logo..

Donny...

Donny, i should be in Wed around 10ish am. If thats ok. I have to make a run and be back by 2pm so im hopeing the wireing isn't too complex.

nitrous
04-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I've seriously considered biodiesel for my truck.

Cryptic
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
if you can afford a 45k truck why hell are you worried about fuel costs.

wdujstfu,

if your not interested, don't reply to thread

forest
04-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Donny, Ill have my GF stop in and get it from you if thats ok, I'm on the northside of MW at 6:00 am and then go to WB after that 7 days a week. You cant miss her, trust me. Haha thanks, Forest

Smokey1226
04-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Glad to see you have your girl trained to comand Forest :D

forest
04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Glad to see you have your girl trained to comand Forest :D

You should see what else I have her trained to do..... :shades haha
all in all, she is a sweetheart, don't know what I would do without her, helps me out a lot

Smokey1226
04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
You should see what else I have her trained to do..... :shades haha

Do tell! Btw i hope any of the girls on this site dont get upset when we talk stupid....its just our nature!

forest
04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
exactly, she does a LOT for me, just a great girl 2 be with.

PonyKiller87
04-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Here are the links I have:

This place sells really high end rigs that pretty much do all the work for you after you dump the oil in. Nice but very pricy. I plan on building a rig similar to thier setup, all stainless so it lasts(bio is extremily corrosive) Speaking of which if you have an older truck the bio will clean out all the crap that has collected in your fuel system and promptly clog your filter with it. I read on a few sites that guys with older trucks were going through a filter a tank for a few tanks until all the old junk was cleaned out.
http://www.biodiesellogic.com/Web%20Page/Biodiesel%20Logic%20Processor%20Systems.htm

This site is awesome from a DIY stand point. Theres even a small project to make a jar of bio just to see how the process works on a small scale.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html

Another good DIY site from people that are working together to make bio
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/oilcollectiontank/

I don't check this one to much but there is some good info here too.
http://www.doctordiesel.com/

Prince Valiant
04-14-2008, 01:37 PM
About the filtering, that is true...since the fuel would be in storage, you could simply filter it as you're converting it. Since speed and pressure aren't a concern, you could probably filter the fuel faor more significantly than you're trucks system b/f it ever even hits you're accessory biofuel tank. Or just get some coffee filters, lol gravity strain filtering!

PonyKiller87
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Another reason I like the design of those pricy setups, they have a seperate container the oil from the process. That will give you 2 things, you wont have to wash the container out between steps and 2 you have to pump it into the other container, perfect time to run the oil through a coarse filter to remove all the big stuff. Then from the other container when you pump it into your storage container you send it through another filter, something high volume maybe in a 1 micron range which should get it way cleaner than your trucks filter will ever catch. Oh yeah and stainless containers are nice too because you can heat them up so the oil flows better and faster through the process.