PDA

View Full Version : Taking HWY 41 to Indiana???

DirtyMax
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm going to Indiana in the morning and pulling a car trailer. Is taking HWY 41 along the lake ok? Anyone done it that way?

I don't want to get raped by all the tolls on 94/294 if I can avoid it. If 41 is a real *****, I guess I'll just suck it up...

Thanks for any advice!

GRNDNL
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
No....unless you like stop and go city streets......

Take 294 around and pay the $$$$$$

DirtyMax
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks. That's what I figured....

nitrous
04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I won't even take 41 if I'm headed to Six Flags, let along pulling a car.

OxmanWI
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I'll be doing the same thing in the fall, what route would I want to take to avoid the inner city Chicago highway? Isn't there a outer belt?

Waver
04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
taking 41 was the best choice for me when I went to michigan, by passed about 10 bicks worth of tolls....however when you hit indiana you will get hit with about 4.50 worth in tolls (I dont know how mich it is if you are trailoring somthing)..best advice is to hit it between rush hour times other wise you will add like an hour or so to your trip (going down there wasnt bad, just comming back was a pain, 1 hour to go 11 miles)

Waver
04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I'll be doing the same thing in the fall, what route would I want to take to avoid the inner city Chicago highway? Isn't there a outer belt?
honestly if you take 294 you will be hit with tolls, if you take i 90 you will still have to go through chicago....there really is no way around it.

flyin_blue_egg
04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
the tolls aren't really that bad...i think i paid like $7 one way throught IL...not to mention by taking 90/290 you don't have to go through the city

nitrous
04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm glad I got my I-Pass when I did.

Waver
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm glad I got my I-Pass when I did.

My buddy has been nagging me to get one for the last 5 years....I have just been too lazy to get one, besides, I know of most of the bypasses for the tolls, and I just dont go down there that often any more, maybe like 4 times a year if that.....might be more if I ever get the chance in inventory my storage trailor with fox stang parts in it.

DirtyMax
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Can I borrow a friend's IPass that they use for a car and and use it with a truck/trailer and be charged the correct truck/trailer amount? Is that system smart enough to know?

It's not really about the $$... Its all the waiting in line crap I'm not down with.

The stop-n-go lights on 41 are bearable. Using an Ipass would be even better...

H8RADE
04-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I make that drive OFTEN to go wheeling in IN.
Making it next Thursday night.
Get on 41 from 80/90, as taking it South of Chicago is hell, plain and simple.
The road along the lake there has never been more than a gravel path in some places, and I can bet there are kids swimming in the potholes about now.
I fly 94straight through when traffic is light, but 294 is the preferred, and costly method.
For the price, you should get out and sit on a couch while you and your car are airlifted the length of 294.

tbarsch
04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
I just did this last week - going through the toll in Gurnee with a pickup and a trailer behind was $4.75 alone, and there were 3-4 more tolls along the way to where we were going. If your trailer is a double axle, the price will be even more. Round trip- I think we went through $20.00 in tolls. If your route takes you to Gary (what a shat-hole!), be aware that Hwy65 is closed and the detour takes you on a bit of a safari...

nitrous
04-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Can I borrow a friend's IPass that they use for a car and and use it with a truck/trailer and be charged the correct truck/trailer amount? Is that system smart enough to know?

It's not really about the $$... Its all the waiting in line crap I'm not down with.

The stop-n-go lights on 41 are bearable. Using an Ipass would be even better...

Yep. Well I should say I believe it does. I've been using my I-Pass while trailoring my car or other peoples' for the past 2 years and have never received anything in the mail for this.

Just be sure you have them add your plates onto there profile.

Prince Valiant
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
It's a per axle thing...and the charges can add up...I recall a $7 toll at one stop :fire

41 has never been too bad, though as mentioned, it's probably a pothole hell by now. It takes about 15 minutes longer, and is a wash during sometimes of the day. I also hook up with 90 as you pass US cellular field (cominsky park, white sox's home) on the south side...though that'll hit you with a hard toll leaving IL, and a much easier toll going into IN.

GRNDNL
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I go through 5-6 times a year towing my enclosed trailer, I've had a I-Pass for the last few years, if you go through there more than once a year get a I-Pass, tolls are half price of cash and they're all fly through now. My I-Pass is set up for the truck and trailer, if your towing a trailer they charge more, I don't know if they could catch you if the I-Pass is not correct....

I've heard they're starting to track your speed between the toll booths with the I-Pass and are going to start writing tickets if you arrive to soon......:rolleyes:

Silver03SRT
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I just came home from kentucky and the skyway was closed had to take 294 and it the roads are terrible. Im glad my 5 dollars for the tolls go to good use. You get raped if you are towing something.

Larrygto
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Their working on 41 at-least the Edens part only 2 lanes in both directions.

slickwilly
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I've heard they're starting to track your speed between the toll booths with the I-Pass and are going to start writing tickets if you arrive to soon......:rolleyes:

That'll be the farkin' day I move to France.

70 cutlass 442
04-11-2008, 02:59 PM
When i had my pickup, me and the ex were comming back from detroit, just as we got into IL we were in a traffic jam so i told her to jump out and put the tailgate down. i just blew through all the I passes with no problems!!

Daytonapacecar959
04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I just came home from kentucky and the skyway was closed had to take 294 and it the roads are terrible. Im glad my 5 dollars for the tolls go to good use. You get raped if you are towing something.

So the skyway is closed?I was planning on taking it next weekend to MI.
I planned on taking 94 through the city,the Dan ryan to the skyway was done so i was going to suck up downtown traffic with a truck/trailer.It's going to suck anyway you go.

Silver03SRT
04-11-2008, 04:49 PM
going east its not close but back to chicago it was. if you have an ipass it saves tons of time.

DirtyMax
04-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I think I'm set. I borrowed an Ipass from my parents and registered my truck with it.

Prince Valiant
04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
going east its not close but back to chicago it was. Are you sure it wasn't just the off ramp from i-65 to i-90? That was the case when we went through there about 1 month ago...we detoured through Gary a little bit (*shudder*) and got right back on. Only us an another truck into 90/94

Silver03SRT
04-11-2008, 06:18 PM
im not to sure. all i know is i wanted to go on the skyway and it forced me to go on 90. thought i was in a nascar race the way those guys drive. someone came flying on the onramp and came within inches of taking my boat out.