PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas users...

Smokey1226
04-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Well unfortunately as like everything else i got another call saying prices went up again. But this should be locked in for a while (Im crossing my fingers)

So onto the Good news....I'll be buying in bulk Torco Mach 108Unleaded...Which will bring the cost down huge, right around the $6.70/gal mark. Which is rediculously cheap for a 108Unleaded fuel. But i need to put in orders ASAP to buy in at that price.

Bad News- Methanol prices went up pretty big....but i'm trying to keep it undercontrol for now. My price $3.60/gal

Another good news- No more winter blend in the Pump gas fuels. On to the Summer blends.

Syclone0044
04-11-2008, 02:13 AM
WTF?! I wonder why Methanol went up, it was $1.78 just 2 years ago.. Doesnt that come from distilling wood (i.e. nothing to do with foreign oil)?

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure on the entire process, but i do know last year it was $2.50ish and 2 1/2 years ago price was under $1.50/gal!!

DirtyMax
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
You don't have any leaded/unleaded race fuel out of the pump do you? Just jugs?

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Just in the 5gal Pails or 55gal Drums.

Moparjim
04-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I need a bunch of methanol, and also am interested in some C16 most likely - what's the price on that stuff up to?

Shoot me a PM with more info!

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
You have a PM!

A B4C Z
04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Just paid 5.98 for 110 unleaded out the pump last weekend.

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM

If you like using Drums....i can save ya almost $.40/gal! But the ease of pumps are nice. You just have to watch how long the fuel is in the ground and how often they get deliveries. Nothing worse than race gas that is mixing with air constantly not being moved.

HP ADDICT
04-11-2008, 07:46 PM

where?

HP ADDICT
04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
If you like using Drums....i can save ya almost $.40/gal! But the ease of pumps are nice. You just have to watch how long the fuel is in the ground and how often they get deliveries. Nothing worse than race gas that is mixing with air constantly not being moved.

5.60 a gallon for 110? I just paid that much for 100?

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 08:16 PM
5.60 a gallon for 110? I just paid that much for 100?

100 is Unleaded....110 is leaded. it costs more for Unleaded fuels.

A B4C- Are you sure thats what you got? Because to the best of my knowledge no company makes a 110 UNleaded??? The highest on pump that i know of is 108 Unleaded, but usually only drag strips carry it? Are you sure it wasnt 100unleaded or 110 leaded?

HP ADDICT
04-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I know but he said 110 unleaded for 5.98..thats why I asked him where.

Reverend Cooper
04-11-2008, 08:56 PM
i just got 100 no lead at eh wolf and sons in slinger 5.45 a gallon they have 110 leaded at the pump also

BOSS LX
04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Price on sunoco 116.

lilws6
04-11-2008, 09:03 PM
alright i'm new to this stuff so i gota noob ? if i want to run the 108 unleaded in my car do i have to mix it? what whats a good ratio??? can i run leaded in my TA i don't have cat's

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 09:04 PM
All i carry right now is Torco and VP Race fuels. No sunoco at the moment, i did look into bringing in their Maximal fuel, but they have a wierd way about going on with business. Maybe sometime down the road but not at the moment.

GRAMPS SS
04-11-2008, 09:04 PM

he right...we got gas in slinger....on 60 and 175 at that tri par last year....crap ...water in the gas.....car ran like crap...went to another vendor for 114 toco...car runs great...now buying drums from chad...you can't beat his prices....i've looked around....he knows he has my partner tim and my biz......:thumbsup

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
alright i'm new to this stuff so i gota noob ? if i want to run the 108 unleaded in my car do i have to mix it? what whats a good ratio??? can i run leaded in my TA i don't have cat's

I'll see if i can help out, You can run the 108Unleaded straight if you wanted. Thats what a few of my customers do, but if you don't have any type of Power adder (which im not sure if you do, i forgot to check) then it would be a waste to just run pure race gas. If you do, then i would run 50/50 mix when just cruising around and then up it to 70/30 mix (race to pump) when you are going to be in heavy boost.

I'm the type of guy who would rather spend an extra $2/per gallon to save my motor.

The ratio's depend on the fuel and what kind of power your making. I can help you out with that when i know your power levels and if you have a power adder (Spray/Turbo/Supercharger/Procharger)

Do you have any o2 sensor's still on your car? If you don't have any cats or o2 sensors then you can run all the leaded fuel you want. If you do, then i would stay away from leaded fuels because you will be replacing your sensors due to the lead after time.

lilws6
04-11-2008, 09:10 PM
well i do have the front two still so that means no leaded. And i'm not runnign any power adder at the moment just stock motor with headers so i'm not looking at a significant gain with the fuel i suppose

lilws6
04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
also i would be interested in this for my bike

Smokey1226
04-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Your bike, will love Leaded fuels. My brother runs a 02 Honda F4i 600cc rocket, and his LOVESSSSS our Torco 110. My 03 Yz125 see's nothing but 110 and 112. So it really is up to you. With street bikes, i would NOT run it with just pure race gas. It's going to run wayyyyy too hot. Your better with a 40/60 mix of Race gas to pump. The extra pump gas helps with starting the bike and keeping it run cooler. But the Race gas helps keep everything inside clean as well as funner on the street :banana1:

GRAMPS SS
04-11-2008, 09:22 PM

hell, my son sean runs it in his mini bike...ask em...he loves the stuff,.....he don't have to pay for it...he loves the way it smells.....as he would say when he pulls in for more fuel....hmmmmmmm gear head aftershave....he listens to to many people :devil

lilws6
04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
lol i love the smell as well i might have to pick p some 110 from you some time this year whats that price on that for 5 gal.??

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
For the 5gal sealed Pails its $5.95/gal and 55gal Drum price $5.65/gal! Prices change so thats what they are for now (and hopefully for the rest of the year but i doubt it)

pOrk
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Race gas will do nothing for your car or your sport bike but have a pretty smell and run hotter. Probably burns faster too, so why bother?

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Race gas will do nothing for your car or your sport bike but have a pretty smell and run hotter. Probably burns faster too, so why bother?

Throttle Response/Extra % in power. If you think im lieing i would love to prove you wrong! There are dyno test from a 2 stroke 125 motor all the way up to 500+ci big blocks. Race Gas over pump with make slightly more power, plus clean things up. Burns faster??? No sir, not compared to Pump gas with Ethanol. <That burns the fastest.

But i agree, i wouldnt run race gas 100% of the time in his case, unless you starting boosting or run at Road America type races and looking for fuel consistancy.

nitrous
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
You have any VP Import?

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
You have any VP Import?

Yessir, 3 or 4 (5gal Pails) left. Just got them in a week and half ago.

lilws6
04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
i'm not saying i would use it all the time just for that extra boost at the track. once i get my procharger i'll be looking at a bigger stock of it lol

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I sooooooo want a ride then! Procharger + 346ci should be a blast!

nitrous
04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
How much for the 5 Gal.?

Smokey1226
04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
$108.50 or $21.70/gal

A B4C Z
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
ill go back and look to make sure i know its 110 i swear it was unleaded.

HP ADDICT
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
ill go back and look to make sure i know its 110 i swear it was unleaded.

Let me know..never seen 110 unleaded at the pump myself.

ND4SPD
04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
$108.50 or $21.70/gal

:wooo Maybe I will be putting methanol injection on my car...

lilws6
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
its a blast now running 12.9's the way it is lol i can't wait till my cars done the way i want it.

pOrk
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Throttle Response/Extra % in power. If you think im lieing i would love to prove you wrong! There are dyno test from a 2 stroke 125 motor all the way up to 500+ci big blocks. Race Gas over pump with make slightly more power, plus clean things up. Burns faster??? No sir, not compared to Pump gas with Ethanol. <That burns the fastest.

But i agree, i wouldnt run race gas 100% of the time in his case, unless you starting boosting or run at Road America type races and looking for fuel consistancy.

I cant imagine the tiny percentage you gain would be worth the extra few bucks a gallon. It isn't good for the sport bikes with a factory tune either from what I've heard.

Smokey1226
04-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I cant imagine the tiny percentage you gain would be worth the extra few bucks a gallon. It isn't good for the sport bikes with a factory tune either from what I've heard.

Correct on stock Sport bikes it doesnt do much good and sometimes depending on how aggresive the stock tune is...the race gas can slow them down due to being tuned on 93.

However you might think the % is small on say my dirtbike...but when you ride it with pump versus a tank full of race gas you can definately tell. Hell stop over and ill let you take it out with both!

ND4SPD- Ya if you plan on going big single it can get expensive. In My honest opinion tune it for Q16 and be done with it. Ask Tim Zimmer about the differences and you will see Q16 is just one bad ass fuel. And half the price of Import basically!

pOrk
04-15-2008, 12:54 AM
A dirt bike and a car are two different machines, but hey sounds like fun either way ;-)

Corvette Jabo
04-15-2008, 07:11 AM
I have 2 old cars that have a compression ratio of 11.25:1 I have to run Race gas that I buy at Johnny's in Muskego. Even if I retard the timming by about 6 degrees they both ping like a mother under load even with premium gas. In the 62 I try to run straight race gas because I run a thiner copper head gasket and in the 69 I can get away with a mix premium and race gas25%/75%.

Below is an article from The Service Advisor, the link is at the bottom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The type of gasoline to use is one of the most misunderstood areas of vehicle ownership. I am going to offer some ideas that I hope will save you a few bucks on gasoline.

The first rule of thumb is that higher octane gasoline is not necessarily better for your vehicle.

WHAT IS OCTANE RATING?

Octane, by definition, is the resistance to burn or detonation. The higher the rating, the slower the burn when ignited during the compression burn cycle of the piston. The higher octane allows for better control of burning for high compression engines. So we want to match the correct octane rating of the gasoline to the engine design to ensure complete burning of the gasoline by the engine for maximum fuel economy and clean emissions.

I THOUGHT GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE REDUCED ENGINE KNOCK?

It did in older engines using carburetors to regulate air/gas mix They cannot as accurately regulate the air/fuel mix going into the engine as a computerized fuel injector. Carburetors need adjustment, as a part of regular maintenance, to keep the air/fuel mix as accurate as possible. So many times, these adjustments were not made regularly causing too much fuel to be mixed with the air. When this happened the gasoline would not burn completely soaking into carbon deposits. This would cause a premature ignition of the gasoline due to the intense heat in the engine cylinder creating "engine knock." When this happened, people would change to the higher octane/slower burning gasoline to resist the premature burn, thus minimizing the knocking problem. And it worked. Good solution.

However, since the middle to late 80’s, engines are designed to use fuel injectors with computers to accurately control the air/fuel mix under all types of temperature and environment concerns. However the accuracy of the fuel injectors and computers is based on using the recommended gasoline for that engine.

Most cars are designed to burn regular unleaded fuels with an octane rating of 87. If the vehicle needs a higher octane rating of 89-93, there is documentation in the owner’s manual, as well as possibly under the fuel gauge and by the fuel fill hole. Usually you will see this rating for high performance engines only.

WHAT IF I PREFER TO USE GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE RATINGS?

You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. When you use a fuel with a higher octane rating than your vehicle requires, you can send this unburned fuel into the emissions system. It can also collect in the catalytic converter. When you over stress any system, it can malfunction or not do what it was designed to do properly. In the early 90's, an early warning symptom was a rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Easy fix, go back to using regular 87 octane gasoline. The rude odor usually disappears after several tanks of gasoline.

DOESN'T HIGHER OCTANE GASOLINE HAVE MORE CLEANING ADDITIVES THAT ARE GOOD FOR MY ENGINE?

No. Government regulations require that all gasoline contain basically the same amount of additives to clean the injectors and valves. The only differences are the type to help create the different octane ratings. All gasoline burns at the same rate, it is the additives that create the different octane ratings for the different types of engines.

REFORMULATED GASOLINE

In some major cities with air pollution problems, reformulated gasoline is required. It is an oxygenated fuel, that burns really clean but can slightly lower fuel economy and engine performance. If your engine is really dirty with carbon deposits, it will also cause pinging or premature burn. In these types of situations, you may want to consider stepping up to the next grade of gasoline.

The bottom line is to use the type of gasoline recommended for your engine. In some cases, like towing, or other stresses on the engine, you may find a higher octane fuel helpful.

NOTE: I do not proclaim to be an expert in these matters, but am only presenting an overview of what I have discovered in my work in this industry with the different auto manufacturers.

Copyright, 1997, J. Daniel Emmanuel

Link:
http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

Jabo

Smokey1226
04-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Jabo- If our interested i can set you up with a couple Drums of 110oct or whatever you looking for, for a great price. I've heard mix reviews about Jonny's fuels. One guy that now gets fuel from me said the color of the fuel is always different....which is not good but i can honestly say i've seen it because i don't get fuel from them. If your interested please let me know!

Thanks,
Chad Schmidt

Corvette Jabo
04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks. I have been been buying Race Gas from Johnnys for around 3-4 years. I have a glass fuel filter on the 62 so I can always see the color of the fuel and for me it has always been a deep pink. I may take you up on the offer though just to try it.
Jabo

jbiscuit
04-15-2008, 02:40 PM
never heard anyone with complaints with Johnny's fuel

Smokey1226
04-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks. I have been been buying Race Gas from Johnnys for around 3-4 years. I have a glass fuel filter on the 62 so I can always see the color of the fuel and for me it has always been a deep pink. I may take you up on the offer though just to try it.
Jabo

I can set you up with a couple 5gal Pails just to see how the car likes it. If it doesn't not big deal, and if it does we can talk about bigger stuff. Always good to keep options open!

Smokey1226
04-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Here is a very recent dyno of a buddies Procharged Cobra. On my Torco 108unleaded...
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/no_slow_svt/?action=view&current=101_0535.flv
:headbang

HP ADDICT
04-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Here is a very recent dyno of a buddies Procharged Cobra. On my Torco 108unleaded...
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/no_slow_svt/?action=view&current=101_0535.flv
:headbang

How many PSI?

Smokey1226
04-19-2008, 10:31 PM
I believe he said it was either 18 or 19psi. And he plans on 20+ MAYBE later this summer. Procharger D1SC