PDA

View Full Version : 2nd trip to the Rock - 9.02 @ 165

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Just got back from NC, ran my Viper again. Really tired so long story short:

Underground Racing rented the Rock again, brought my car and 3 others down there. They had a newer SRT10 they want to be the first into the 8s with, an SRT10 that will be on dreamcar garage that they wanted to run 9s on STREET RADIALS with and get some track footage of for the show, and another guy came from Tennessee to pick up his SRT10 and maybe make a few runs.

The weather was bad in the AM, it was drizzling and I actually was worried the trip would be a bust but it cleared up a bit and I got a couple runs in starting with Quicktime Pros on the car and a lowish boost setting of 20 PSI ( I can run 24 or so on pump gas and 34 on C16...). I managed to keep it under control and for the most part avoid both the walls and my rev limiter this time, and got decent traction on one of the runs and ran a 1.3something 60 foot, 9.02 at 165 MPH. I had a lot of confidence an 8 second slip was coming soon, but it wasn't in the cards lol. When I brought the car back in after that run, the guys popped the hood to put the fans on the car and as I was taking my helmet off and unstrapping I saw the fire extinguisher come out... My power steering cap came loose (common issue on Vipers, had it happen on my 98 I will have to wirre it down like I did on that car) and started on fire on the header. Quite a few people have torched the car with this little trick if you don't catch it before it starts other things on fire. So, no damage done but of course a spare PS cap is one of the few spare parts they DON'T have... Ended up making one out of a Skoal tin, duct tape, and zip ties... Deciding that was probably an 8 second rated cap arrangement we turned the boost up a bit more and went to lunch, anticipating still getting in an 8 second run after lunch as the track was hooking pretty good (they prep the entire length of the track with VHT, and the launch pad was so sticky it took effort to pull your shoes up off it - and STILL its hard to hook this much power). Returning from lunch I ended up getting screwed by the strangest thing I have ever seen. The entire track had turned LIME GREEN. Turns out apparently it is "normal" for them to have an issue with this LIME GREEN fine dusty POLLEN on occasion this time of year. That shit was on everything - the entire track, the cars, you name it. I tried a few runs but with that crap on the track I was getting zero traction on the big end so we packed it in for the day. So, I ran a 9.03 on aDOT tire and pump gas, didn't get a good high boost run in again. I have no doubt mine should run somewhere in the 8s on pump gas and a DOT tire, deep into the 8s on a slick and C16 with some more seat time and some better driving. The car is definitely capable and if anything makes way too much power - I seriously underestimated the car and overestimated my abilities lol. Its very difficult to get this thing to hook, go straight, and stay hooked and off the walls even in 4th it will blow the tires off and be loose in a split second if the tires don't hold. I have had a lot of fast shit over the years but this thing makes my last Supercharged Viper look like a pedal car. I will have to figure out when I can get it to the track up here with some real serious prep going on though, I don't think I have a prayer at say the Grove on their average prep day, maybe when they have their "stick" days or a big event with high HP cars there. UGR ran a 9.80 at 150 MPH on a new SRT10 on a regular RADIAL a few times. The SRT10 car they wanted to get into the 8s would have done it EASY it ran a 1.3 60 ft and a 5.50 1/8th mile but then they let off probably 3/4 track it still ran a 9.1, at only 118 MPH since they let off so early since it was knocking. The weather was supposed to be 75 and sunny but was only in the 50s so they had the tune too lean that was the first car we ran. They added some fuel and went to run it again, and discovered they had popped the head gasket it was leaking a little so that car was done for the day. They are taking it back ASAP I bet that thing runs an easy mid 8. I had one of the guys shoot some crappy pics and video with my camera this time I will post up later, and they shot some HD video which should be cool.

BadAzzGTA89
04-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Way to go that must have been awsome!!!
Glad to hear it didn't burn up on you and can't wait to see the video!

scaleracer
04-08-2008, 12:31 PM
impressive! can't wait for a vid! :headbang

GinoRin
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Badass. I love boost. :thumbsup

DurtyKurty
04-08-2008, 02:51 PM
That thing running water/meth injection?

Prince Valiant
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Great Job Jim...

Would you ever consider going with a 727 or torqueglide for better track times/consistency?

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 04:23 PM
That thing running water/meth injection?

Yes

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Great Job Jim...

Would you ever consider going with a 727 or torqueglide for better track times/consistency?

Nope. That wouldn't be nearly as "cool".

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Pics at the track

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Non 9 second rated PS cap, new 9 second homemade PS cap, wierd green pollen on track. I cant figure out how to edit my website to host them right now since Im retarded so videos will have to wait.

Prince Valiant
04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
that's some good stuff! Funny about the green track...

Crawlin
04-08-2008, 05:08 PM
WOW, that green track stuff is weird.

car's looking sweet though!

WickedSix
04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
nice car!!! :thumbsup I thought rims were bent for a sec pixilation ftl

and pollen is normally my enemy now I have another reason to hate it :rolf

FourEyedFord
04-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Nice work!
That is a lot of MPH for a 9.0! A 1.3x sixty seems pretty decent, does the boost come on hard down track causing the traction issues?

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Nice work!
That is a lot of MPH for a 9.0! A 1.3x sixty seems pretty decent, does the boost come on hard down track causing the traction issues?

Exactly... Comes on hard is an understatement... many of the runs it would blow the tires off like I was on ice lol.

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Here are the links to crappy vids one of the guys shot with my camera. Its one of the runs I think its the right 9.02 one, notice the left-right action I just about cross the center line hitting second. Also a burnout just for the sound and viewing pleasure. Thats KC from UGR right behind my car filming with his HD cam I hope to get some real nice footage from them at some point. My site is all farged up but I jammed the vids on there so I could post em. I really need to completely redo my site for the new cars. Anyone do website work as a hobby or cheap lol? I don't need a lot done just cleaned up and newer cars and pics posted and added.

http://www.milwaukeemopar.com/9%20second%20run.avi
http://www.milwaukeemopar.com/Burnout1.avi

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Blah the links dont work, they are on my site www.milwaukeemopar.com, videos section, bottom two videos ignore the jpegs of my old silver viper and just click em. Did I mention I need website help?

Karps TA
04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Damn that thing really gets up and goes. Vid is awesome.

GTSLOW
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Can I drive it?

Yes

w00t!!!!!!!! :goof

BOSS LX
04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice times!

But how the helll is your "street car" gonna be faster then your "race car"?:rolf

05caddyext
04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
What do you do for a living? $$ buys speed. I want some.

Reverend Cooper
04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
wow that is great its got 8's fo sho

Syclone0044
04-09-2008, 12:23 AM
http://www.milwaukeemopar.com/9%20second%20run.avi
http://www.milwaukeemopar.com/Burnout1.avi

Holy f*ck!! :rockwoot:

I love how you can hear the boost come on in each gear and then it winds up really quick! Even in 4th.

That thing is a fuggin missle out of the hole too!! :thumbsup

Have I mentioned how much I like this setup?? :goof:D:crazyeyes

USMARINE1108
04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
That's awesome!

The pollen is very common down here. Turns everything yellow, it's almost like a light snow dusting. :wow

Moparjim
04-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Nice times!

But how the helll is your "street car" gonna be faster then your "race car"?:rolf

Yeah I may be looking to sell my "race" car once its done lol. If this car is faster with AC, a stereo, and ful interior...

Moparjim
04-09-2008, 07:52 AM
That's awesome!

The pollen is very common down here. Turns everything yellow, it's almost like a light snow dusting. :wow

Yeah I thought we were going to get rained out, but it turned out we got "pollened" out! It was new to me, I had never seen anything like that before it had drizzled in the AM, then dried up and we were making runs and it was fine then in the course of like 30 minutes everything was suddenly covered in pollen.