PDA

View Full Version : Getting a different car for a DD

Berettaspeed
04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
well im getting friday a 97 40th anniversary bonneville SSE-i. 91k, leather,HUD, moonroof,and blah blah blah else.LOL it has the L67 so i will play alittle with it, but i want to remain basicly stock. basicly im getting it at a steal of a price for 2 grand. any L67 nuts in here that could point out some common problems on these?? i smell fuel somewhere after about 10 minutes of driving. im taking it to work monday and looking over it.

:) you know how it is when ya get a different car.......LOL ill get pics when i buy it. damnit all to hell. im spending my savings for the beretta! LOL

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I do not have any tips for you but I do know how it is getting a new to you car, even the biggest heap of crap excites me, good luck with it.

A B4C Z
04-06-2008, 08:48 PM
fuel pressure regulator is my guess.

theavenger333
04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
97s are bastard years, so much of what you could do with it is negated. either run it stock, or run barely anything, because without a Tune, its kinda silly. finding someone with HP for 97s, bonneville, will be tricky

Mr. Brett
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM
^^^ Pretty much what he said. I'd just leave it stock and drive it. Those cars ride pretty nice as is. With that kind of mileage, I'd take a look at the valve cover gaskets to make sure they're not leaking. Other than that, they're pretty solid engines. For the fuel leak, I'd check the fuel lines under the hood. Pretty easy to see if they're leaking or not.

RyanM
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
For 2k thats a pretty good deal. L67's are good motors, but they tend to have oil leaks (usually valve covers/intake manifold gaskets) which are pretty easy to fix. Dexcool sucks.

Sometimes the transmissions are known to go out pretty easily from the hp/tq (240/280 stock)

I love my L67. (99 GTP)

SlowMotion
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
L67 engines are notorious for having bad fuel rail o-rings where they meet the injectors. As Mr. Brett stated, the valve covers normally need replacing and then they are good for along time. The fuel pressure regulator could also be popped out of the housing, via the spring clip that holds it in place. If it is like any other L67 car, cheap mods would be ubend delete after the downpipe, that is normally a big bottleneck in the exhaust, and intake can be made, but without a good tune, you are going to cost yourself mpg. I would jump on www.clubgp.com and check out if there are any guys with bonneville HP tuners or powertuners our there for the 97's. Good luck and if you take care of it, the engine should outlast the body of the car. :thumbsup

theavenger333
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
shame on you Tim, clubgp sucks hard now. i'm shocked you're plugging it!!

Berettaspeed
04-07-2008, 09:40 PM
yup the plastic line has a pin hole in it and it sprays. AHHHHHHH:wow

also there is oil leaks somewhere. ahah valve covers, LIMG,and oil pan gasket. the subframe on here still has shiny black paint unlike alot of other models. has no undercoating though. i wonder where its from. no rust on the rear like most bonnevilles. rear brake lines look rusted. im going to replace these things before they brake. also the rear proportion valves look bad. i hate those things. the supercharger works great!!!. i talked with my neighbor and he said he cut the belt off cause he wanted to run 87 fuel. LOL wow i guess thats one way to save on gas. but it seems to work fine. no grinding noise. shifts hard and frim in performace shift mode. sucks in normal mode. my HUD is not working damnit. other than that it seems like any other 2grand car. needs suspension. the air shocks dont hold air. but the pump works. cool feature, you can turn off the air pump. haha way to save your battery i guess. i hate these auto locking doors when you put it in drive and park. thats how people lock keys in cars. and yes im also anti-dexcool

i might get i earlier than friday. it has random dents in it from hail and getting hit at stores.(friend is an assit. manager at a pick and save)

SlowMotion
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
shame on you Tim, clubgp sucks hard now. i'm shocked you're plugging it!!

Sorry, haven't been on there in a bit :confused

RyanM
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Removing the S/C belt on the L67's is a good way to run regular and keep the power low, keep in mind a L67 will run a lot lot lot slower than a N/A 3800... funny!

theavenger333
04-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Removing the S/C belt on the L67's is a good way to run regular and keep the power low, keep in mind a L67 will run a lot lot lot slower than a N/A 3800... funny!

REALLY? it was already a given. :chair: