PDA

View Full Version : Charger

Arigmaster
04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Anyone hear from Mike? I didn't think he would ever let go of this one once he had it. Hope he's doing okay with his shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XP29H8B230624_W0QQitemZ200185495971QQihZ010QQcateg oryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ran across this on a different site.

Voodoo Chick
04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
That's the car I just posted about in "sightings." I was asking whose it was. That car is so gorgeous, I love it. If I had that money, I'd snatch it up soooooo fast.....

GRAMPS SS
04-06-2008, 12:18 AM
buy it now 125k..:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rol f:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rol f:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rol f:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

scaleracer
04-06-2008, 12:43 AM
take the fvckin ricer wing off and it might be a decent car! :rice And even $20,000 is too much for that thing! idc how much somebody invested! :goof just my 0.02 cents! i'd rather have a low 9 second street car already done!

Korndogg
04-06-2008, 12:59 AM
take the fvckin ricer wing off and it might be a decent car! :rice And even $20,000 is too much for that thing! idc how much somebody invested! :goof just my 0.02 cents! i'd rather have a low 9 second street car already done!

you realize that was agrimaster's old car right?

scaleracer
04-06-2008, 02:00 AM
you realize that was agrimaster's old car right?

yeah i do i remember it being for sale! it's a charger but still... maybe you guys find something in it! but i don't.. it looks weird with that wing to me! at least get the front valence like a superbird and it might look better.. either way no mine so idc but i doubt he'll get that price for it!

Korndogg
04-06-2008, 02:09 AM
oh..yeah I just didn't know if you knew or not. :)

scaleracer
04-06-2008, 02:15 AM
oh..yeah I just didn't know if you knew or not. :)

i know i'm basically bashing his car.. even though he sold it! not trying to be mean or anything but it's not worth $125,000! too much barrett jackson for him!

GRAMPS SS
04-06-2008, 02:24 AM
yeah i do i remember it being for sale! it's a charger but still... maybe you guys find something in it! but i don't.. it looks weird with that wing to me! at least get the front valence like a superbird and it might look better.. either way no mine so idc but i doubt he'll get that price for it!

al built the car for himself....why would you put a superbird nose on a dodge....you do know you can't just put it on...you have to change fenders and a few other items as well.....but you keep saving for that 9 sec ride....:thumbsup

scaleracer
04-06-2008, 03:41 AM
al built the car for himself....why would you put a superbird nose on a dodge....you do know you can't just put it on...you have to change fenders and a few other items as well.....but you keep saving for that 9 sec ride....:thumbsup

why would you put a superbird wing on a charger?? :confused yes i realize that.. i will! :shades for now i can kick a$$ with my slot cars! anyone else is welcome to step in line! :stare

nismodave
04-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I think the guy smoked a BATHTUB full of weed to ask 50k, let alone 125k.

I think the car was nice, but I personaly always thought the Superbird wing on the back was odd. Im a big fan of Superbirds too.

Breecher_7
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
I think the guy smoked a BATHTUB full of weed to ask 50k, let alone 125k.

I think the car was nice, but I personaly always thought the Superbird wing on the back was odd. Im a big fan of Superbirds too.

Weed doesnt make you crazy...... Would have taken much harsher drugs to conjur up that price!!! Mabey a bathtub full of Acid....

Arigmaster
04-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Mike is a member of BCM too and a very nice guy.

I am thinking that he may just be listing it to get a better idea of how much the car is worth to a buyer now and may not be actually looking to sell unless someone bites at an offer he cant refuse. (thus the high price)

I was concerned because he is an engine builder (a good one too) and was hoping everything was okay with his business and he wasn't liquidating the toys to save it.

As for the wing. It is a Daytona wing and not a Superbird wing. Huge difference. The car was never built to be a clone and I personnaly think the nose cones both cars had look like crap. (just my taste though)

Unlike the Ricer wings, the Daytona and bird wings actually served a purpose...LOL! The purpose was proven on NASCAR tracks until they were banned for giving an unfair advantage. (sorry ford & chevy) It's in the history books. The nose cones were banned too.

Anyway... My next project is a ford.

nismodave
04-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I jave to ask. Why is there a huge difference between the SB wing and the Daytona wing? They both look roughly the same.

Arigmaster
04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I jave to ask. Why is there a huge difference between the SB wing and the Daytona wing? They both look roughly the same.

It has to do with the aerodynamics of the two body styles. Where as both are considered as "B body cars" there is a huge difference between the sculpture of the roof and trunk lines between the two. The individual wings were sculpted for those specific cars. The super Bird wing is much more narrow on the uprights where the Daytona is much wider at the base of the two. The other variation is the angle of the two. The Charger with having the sail panels coming off the roof line creates a shorter trunk line so there is less of an angle compared to the Superbird having a longer trunk line due to no sail panels off the roof.

So the SB wing is more slender with a steeper angle and the Daytona is more stout with a more upright pitch.

nismodave
04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Good to learn stuff. Thanks.

lordairgtar
04-06-2008, 05:52 PM
AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO CARS

While there are some obvious similarities between the '69 Charger Daytona and the '70 Superbird, the only real things they truly have in common are the windshield and the front fenders which, like the Charger Daytona, were borrowed from the 1970 Coronet (these fenders, however, did become standard on the 1970 Charger). Their fiberglass nose cones and tall rear wings look identical, but they weren't interchangeable. For example, the snout on the Superbird points downward more and the grille is on the underside, where it's in the front center section on the Daytona. The headlight "buckets" and turn signals are different as well. The rear wing is also more swept-back on the Superbird, but it is adjustable like on the Daytona. Another Superbird exclusivity is that they all had standard vinyl roofs. This was due to a modified rear window that created unsightly seams around the rear bottom portion of the window, so in order to hide these blemishes, a vinyl roof was installed to cover them up.

Although this was known as the Road Runner Superbird, the Superbird was really more of a GTX than a Road Runner (but perhaps Plymouth didn't feel GTX Superbird rolled off the tongue like Road Runner Superbird did). For example, the Superbird shared the GTX's dashboard and interior that was standard on upper-level Satellites. Its drivetrains mirrored the GTX as well, such as the 375 hp 7.2L (440 cid) Super Commando V8 was standard (instead of the Road Runner's 335 hp 383 V8), with the 390 hp 440 3x2 Six-Pack and 425 hp 426 2x4 Hemi V8s as options. A 4-speed manual (with the ultra-cool pistol-grip shifter) or 3-speed automatic transmission could be had with any engine, and the automatic could have a column or floor console shift. All Superbirds had power front-disc brakes and the split top/bottom taillights as standard equipment (again, like the GTX), but unique decals such as the large PLYMOUTH decals on the rear quarter panels and the Road Runner cartoon character holding a racing helmet surrounded by the words ROAD RUNNER SUPERBIRD in a circular pattern on the side of the rear wing left no doubt as to what this car's intentions were and where it came from.

Although Plymouth made many more Superbirds than Dodge made Charger Daytonas (the unofficial number is 1935 vs. the Daytona's unofficial number of 500), that doesn't mean Plymouth had better luck with the buying public than Dodge did. In fact, like the Daytonas, scores of Superbirds lounged on dealer's lots well into the 1971 (and even 1972) model years. In fact, it's been documented that some dealers on the east coast actually removed the Superbird's rear wing and fiberglass nosecone and installed standard Road Runner front ends to move them off their lots (a main way to tell a "converted" Superbird is if it still has the unique Superbird rear window and plugs on top of the rear quarter panels where the wing was removed).

GRAMPS SS
04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
^^^^^^^^thanks Greg...:thumbsup

i didn't know the diff between the two...:D BIRDMAN FTW

slickwilly
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
The story is that the Charger wing and nosecone were designed primarily with aerodynamics in mind while the Super Bird was an after thought. Therefore, the Charger's aerodynamics are slightly better.

Nix
04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
take the fvckin ricer wing off and it might be a decent car!

:rolleyes: Americas youth... :(

scaleracer
04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
:rolleyes: Americas youth... :(

yeah! i mean i'm an idiot i've only been going to car shows and street racing/ anything car related since i was born! :goof funny guy! i'm the future of muscle cars! and i would take them over any import or anything else! a$$hat! way to help the future of it! and i wasn't the only one that thought it didn't look right! and i knew it was a superbird wing and not a ricer wing! i just think it looks like a charger that want's to be a superbird with that big a$$ wing! and have a nice day! :chair:

Arigmaster
04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
yeah! i mean i'm an idiot i've only been going to car shows and street racing/ anything car related since i was born! :goof funny guy! i'm the future of muscle cars! and i would take them over any import or anything else! a$$hat! way to help the future of it! and i wasn't the only one that thought it didn't look right! and i knew it was a superbird wing and not a ricer wing! i just think it looks like a charger that want's to be a superbird with that big a$$ wing! and have a nice day! :chair:

Ya know, There is some pretty interesting reading on the Aerocars Scale... You may want to check this site out for some more background on the wing cars. Great old pics, videos, and stats to be found.

http://wwnboa.org/

Some of this is a must read for anyone interested in the Wing Mopar Muscle cars.

Arigmaster
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Here is another really good site about these cars....

http://aerowarriors.com/cgi-bin/banner/home.cgi

scaleracer
04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Ya know, There is some pretty interesting reading on the Aerocars Scale... You may want to check this site out for some more background on the wing cars. Great old pics, videos, and stats to be found.

http://wwnboa.org/

Some of this is a must read for anyone interested in the Wing Mopar Muscle cars.

Here is another really good site about these cars....

http://aerowarriors.com/cgi-bin/banner/home.cgi

interesting websites! The reason i didn't like the car was because I've never seen a charger with a wing before! Thanks for sharing that!

Feature Pony
04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
That car is a $20,000 car tops. Non R/T no hemi or 4 speed, the car probably started life as a 318 charger. I know of a couple of 68 R/Ts and 69 R/T's fully restored numbers matching ($100,000 restos) and the owners are taking a loss on the and they are trying to get $60,000-$75,000 and nobody is biting.. Don't get me wrong its a nice car but the price is a little out of line.

GRAMPS SS
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM

well if you have been to soooooo many shows, and street races...( didn't know anyone aound here raced a Superbird or Daytona....I haven't seen one street race in all my years...) since you were born...then you would of know it was a DAYTONA wing and not a SUPERBIRD wing....am i right...but you are the furture of muscle cars...:D :thumbsup

Arigmaster
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
That car is a $20,000 car tops. Non R/T no hemi or 4 speed, the car probably started life as a 318 charger. I know of a couple of 68 R/Ts and 69 R/T's fully restored numbers matching ($100,000 restos) and the owners are taking a loss on the and they are trying to get $60,000-$75,000 and nobody is biting.. Don't get me wrong its a nice car but the price is a little out of line.

Hey Feature,

Granted the car was not an R/T, but is is an "authenticated" numbers matching 383 Big block 4 bbl car. And was never a 318 car. It doesn't really matter what Mike was asking for it when he put it up because I don't think he really intended on selling it in the first place. When I had it it was appraised at 32K by Vallenti but the appraisal value and what someone will pay are two different numbers. (run the VIN for yourself on this link)

http://www.mymopar.com/decoder.htm

It doesn't matter if it's a Charger or any classic right now. The economy sucks and people do not have the disposable income they had a few years ago. A car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it and a seller is willing to let it go for no matter what.

Sure gonna miss that car....

Arigmaster
04-07-2008, 07:25 PM
interesting websites! The reason i didn't like the car was because I've never seen a charger with a wing before! Thanks for sharing that!

LOL!!! Where do ya think the rice grinders got their ideas from? :rolf

nismodave
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Not all rice grinders have huge useless (for anything other than superspeedways) spoilers.;)

Arigmaster
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Not all rice grinders have huge useless (for anything other than superspeedways) spoilers.;)

Bwahahaha!!!! ^5 Dave... I know :rolf

Nix
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM

This ramble of yours proves and furthers my point. ;)

Moparjim
04-08-2008, 04:26 AM

Quoted for truth. Prices have come way down, and I know it was originally built to Arigmaster's taste I don't think he ever intended to have to sell it, but it would be worth a bit more and be an easier sell if the wing were removed and put more back to stock. The main value point of the car is its numbers matching and original, and the curent owner has now gone FURTHER from stock with what he's done. His asking price is a total joke. His claims of 550 HP out of an iron head 383, smallish single 4 barrel are a joke as well. I sold my 70 last year for 25K and was glad to get that, and it was a rust free original body panels Cali car with a 10K Muscle Motors 496, brand new built everything, Dana, etc. In the real world not the dream or paper world my Indy SR head 496 made around 550 HP on a good day.

scaleracer
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
well if you have been to soooooo many shows, and street races...( didn't know anyone aound here raced a Superbird or Daytona....I haven't seen one street race in all my years...) since you were born...then you would of know it was a DAYTONA wing and not a SUPERBIRD wing....am i right...but you are the furture of muscle cars...:D :thumbsup
Yeah I've only saw one or two superbirds at a mopar show a few years back and there were no daytonas.

LOL!!! Where do ya think the rice grinders got their ideas from? :rolf

:rolf :rolf very true!

Feature Pony
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah I've only saw one or two superbirds at a mopar show a few years back and there were no daytonas.

:rolf :rolf very true!

There is a guy around here and I wont name names but he worked on hwy 100 at a dealer ship and owned a T5 Bronze white interior hemi daytona, he has owned it since 78 but sold it 2 years ago, it was his retirement fund. There are not to many daytonas around here but there is a 1969 daytona (440 car) with a 70's paint job red and gold that is around here also.

Also last year the wing car association (superbirds and daytonas) had their meet at the milwaukee mile last year, I think about 80 wing cars showed up.

scaleracer
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
There is a guy around here and I wont name names but he worked on hwy 100 at a dealer ship and owned a T5 Bronze white interior hemi daytona, he has owned it since 78 but sold it 2 years ago, it was his retirement fund. There are not to many daytonas around here but there is a 1969 daytona (440 car) with a 70's paint job red and gold that is around here also.

there's a nice either charger or superbee down the street from my house! the guy drives it in rain and snow! :chair: nice car for being a daily driver! same color as the one in your avatar! on 68th and coldspring
also i never heard or saw anything advertised about that show...

Feature Pony
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
there's a nice either charger or superbee down the street from my house! the guy drives it in rain and snow! :chair: nice car for being a daily driver! same color as the one in your avatar! on 68th and coldspring
also i never heard or saw anything advertised about that show...

I saw that car last year on my way to work one night he was filling up at the speedway on 60th and coldspring in a snow storm, I did a double take. I wanted to go back and talk to the guy to see if I could buy it, but I was running late. Couldn't tell if it was a bee or coronet, odds are its a coronet 440 but it still would be a sweet car..

scaleracer
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I saw that car last year on my way to work one night he was filling up at the speedway on 60th and coldspring in a snow storm, I did a double take. I wanted to go back and talk to the guy to see if I could buy it, but I was running late. Couldn't tell if it was a bee or coronet, odds are its a coronet 440 but it still would be a sweet car..

yeah he has that and an old rusty pick-up in the front yard! my dad said he went to high school with a guy that had one of those and he thinks it's the same car the guy has had since high school!

MurphysLaw88GT
04-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Also last year the wing car association (superbirds and daytonas) had their meet at the milwaukee mile last year, I think about 80 wing cars showed up.

Oh yes....I know the car:)

GRAMPS SS
04-08-2008, 08:50 PM

i know who your talking about... i bet he is kicking himself for selling...that car has sold like 3 times since he had it...and for a lot more then what he sold it for...it was to go over the barret auction last year....never heard if it did...i'll have to ask him if it did,,,that was one very rare car

Feature Pony
04-08-2008, 10:33 PM
i know who your talking about... i bet he is kicking himself for selling...that car has sold like 3 times since he had it...and for a lot more then what he sold it for...it was to go over the barret auction last year....never heard if it did...i'll have to ask him if it did,,,that was one very rare car

I don't know if he is kicking himself, I know that 3 months after he sold it the guy he sold it to flipped it for $300,000 more than what he paid for it. I think he did pretty well on the car and now that the market is slowing down prices are starting to drop, I think he got a good deal. In this market if you sell early you might miss out on some cash, but if you sell late you might miss out on a lot of cash. Your damed if you do and damed if you don't.

DirtyMax
04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
The "toy" market sucks right now. That is why I'm in acquisutuion mode... :goof

I'm done for now I think because I ran out of room and Momma says if I buy one more car, it better come with bedding cuz I'll be sleeping in it... :wooo

Jsho13
04-08-2008, 11:31 PM
The "toy" market sucks right now. That is why I'm in acquisutuion mode... :goof

I'm done for now I think because I ran out of room and Momma says if I buy one more car, it better come with bedding cuz I'll be sleeping in it... :wooo

Tell mama her bed is in the garage.

only kidding - don't tell her i says that.

The more toys the better.

Moparjim
04-09-2008, 07:53 AM

Actually he got a REALLY good price for it and when I saw it go to Barrett-Jackson the prices were already in the crapper and bidding didn't get above HALF what it was sold for here...

Feature Pony
04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Actually he got a REALLY good price for it and when I saw it go to Barrett-Jackson the prices were already in the crapper and bidding didn't get above HALF what it was sold for here...

And didn't they try to sell it as a pair with a superbird or another daytona?

Moparjim
04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah I saw it one time at Barrett it was paired with a Superbird and the high bid for the Daytona being discussed plus the "free" Superbird only got to like $300-350K, which from what the Daytona owner in question told me is in the neighborhood of half what it was sold for. So, he got a very good price - not the peak maybe but better than what it would go for now in todays market and still dropping. Subprime mess really wiped out the toy market.

GRAMPS SS
04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
but didn't the car sell again...for double of what he got...or is that just a car rumor

Moparjim
04-10-2008, 06:43 AM
I would bet that is a rumor - if anything prices have come down over the past year, and double what he got would be into the 7 figures which would be Hemi Cuda Convertible range and I'm sure it would have been a news item at that price.