PDA

View Full Version : computer help please.

02hawk796
10-07-2003, 08:21 PM
I was cruising the net last night looking for stuff, and since then I've got pop-ups all the time, while writing and email on yahoo, I get about 4-5 per sentence. I also get them while on the mfba board as well as here. I also don't have the auto-logon for the boards anymore.
Can somebody tell me how to stop these?
I was going to erase my cookies and stuff, but I can't find the files on this computer. I'd like to keep my net history files (the addresses).
I've got a hp pavilion with windows XP, Opera browser (I've selected the "no pop-ups" option), and the bottom toolbar keeps filling up with "microsoft internet explorer" titles when the pop-ups come on. I'm on earthlink dialup.

Thanks in advance. about 30 pop-ups during this typing.

Silver350
10-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Download Internet explorer 6.0 from Microsofts website. This helped me get ride of all the pop ups I was getting as well as ZoneAlarm Firewall. All freeware

Syclone0044
10-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Go to your Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs" and Uninstall any BULLSH!T programs like "Internet 404" or "SaveNow" or "DateManager" or "PrecisionTime", "MediaLoads anything", theres more but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

Milw96Cobra
10-07-2003, 10:37 PM
ZoneAlarm is the DEVIL!

Update your computer with Windows Update, then go to www.download.com and download Spybot Search and Destroy... run it a couple times, immunize and what not... should be good.

Pantera99GS
10-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Download Ad-Aware download site (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/) ......run that and it will find all the **** that might have been added to your registry and any cookies that might be causing you trouble. To prevent pop-ups i use the Google toolbar, not sure if it works with Opera or not though. But since i downloaded it, i've had zero pop ups.

02hawk796
10-08-2003, 12:57 AM
They seem to have slowed down now, for some reason.
There's a buttload of programs that I'm not familiar with (meaning they could have come with the computer last year, for all I know).
I deleted "Atomic pop", and there's a "Betty Bad" that I haven't killed yet.
I already have IE junk, but I don't use it on my computers because I don't like to crash - which is why I'm on Opera, after trying Mozilla awhile. I already have to suffer through the MS garbage at work (but at least Microsoft products give me great job security :D)
Is this stuff time related? Like heavy during prime-time? If that's it, it makes sense because I'm rarely on during those hours.
Thanks for all your help!

9C1 Driver
10-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Go get that Spybot - Search & Destroy program. It'll help a bunch.

Also, if you want to get rid of ALL pop-ups and all banner ads, go get Ad Muncher. It'll cost you a few bucks to keep using it past the trial period, but it is extremely effective and well worth it!

Both can be found using google.

Yooformula
10-08-2003, 03:20 AM
:confused I haven't recieved any pop ups since using zone alarm.

Scales
10-11-2003, 09:15 AM
I have "Pop-up Stopper" that I got free from www.downloads.com It works great! You can turn it on and off as needed, or you can manually allow a new window to open if you just need one.

y2kws6
10-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
Go to your Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs" and Uninstall any BULLSH!T programs like "Internet 404" or "SaveNow" or "DateManager" or "PrecisionTime", "MediaLoads anything", theres more but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

Also a program called "GATOR" it is in alot of programs and is designed to open pop-ups when you go to refresh or open any site.

Dan

Knyghtmare
10-11-2003, 12:24 PM
The only true way to get rid of all the bullshit on your comp is to do a reformat. Start fresh, and be careful about what you do online from then on. :)

rsscoty
10-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Downloaded zone alarm, and now it boots me from the system :fire
Scoty

Silver350
10-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by rsscoty
Downloaded zone alarm, and now it boots me from the system :fire
Scoty

It boots me somtimes to. I dont know if you have DSL or road Runner but on Dial up you will get booted sometimes for me its not that big of a deal as long as it stops people from connecting to my pc I dont care its still well worth it In my own opinion

Lash
10-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Ad-ware works good for me....no pop-ups. And it's free too.
It's amazing how much add crap it pulls off of your computer when you run it.

Cryptic
10-12-2003, 12:20 AM
SPYBOT...period

Scales
10-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by CrypticGTX
SPYBOT...period

Yeah, Spybot is pretty good too!!

Pantera99GS
10-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by CrypticGTX
SPYBOT...period

Use both! Ad-Aware catches some stuff that SPYBOT doesn't and vice versa.