PDA

View Full Version : Collecting WI Unemployment?

OxmanWI
04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't mean to put my personal life on this forum, but it's seems that there are lot of informative persons on here and I need help.

I just lost my job of 4 years and I have never claimed unemployment before. I really don't want to because I heard you have to pay it back? I've applied at several places and even did the whole Milwaukee Jobs online deal. What are the rules and conditions? I have a couple questions…

Do I only get a % of what I made at my last job?

Do I have to pay it all back next year during tax time?

How long can I collect unemployment as long as I can't find a job?

What is the website? Can't seem to find anything...

Any other helpful tips would be great!

Thanks in advanced!

Rocket Power
04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I haven't collected since 1992 but I didn't have to pay it back, If you scam them you will. You will have to pay taxes on it unless you have them deducted.
It was a % up what you made up to a max $$ amount
6 months I think was the max, don't know now

GRAMPS SS
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
ask beagz.......he'll tell ya the truth about it....pm him....

never heard about paying it back either....i THINK..not sure but you get 26 weeks and then maybe a extention....but like i said ask the beagz...he was on it....

GRAMPS SS
04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
i do know that when your on it you have to look ofr jobs.... andshow proff or they take it away...i was on it a long time ago and thats what it was like for me..

Breecher_7
04-02-2008, 07:07 PM
6 Months, Make sure you have taxes taken out of it that way you wont owe at the end of the year, you dont have to repay it to the best of my knowledge.

As far as the amount, i believe the MAX for unemployment is like $350 a week or somthing close to that. And that number is PRE tax.

Where do you live? I may be able to get you a job if you dont mind doing crap work. One of our fab shops is hiring but it doesnt pay shit.

Yooformula
04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
you only pay back if your company contests it and wins which is not common in this state. the company will ned to provide legitimate reasons why they canned you, ie:write ups, attendance violations, etc. They will also need to prove that you KNEW you were going to get fired.

97z2801ss
04-02-2008, 08:00 PM
i was just on unemployement they go back one year. take all that add it up and you get a percent. almost a normal check. but i had child crap and taxes taken out. u can file online to and claim every week online. takes 2-3 days from the claim to show up in your account and you can file for up to two weeks back. and anytime you dont work more then 35 hrs.

97z2801ss
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
https://ucclaim-wi.org/InternetInitialClaims/default.asp

Yooformula
04-02-2008, 08:03 PM
i was just on unemployement they go back one year. take all that add it up and you get a percent. almost a normal check. but i had child crap and taxes taken out. u can file online to and claim every week online. takes 2-3 days from the claim to show up in your account and you can file for up to two weeks back. and anytime you dont work more then 35 hrs.

but if your company can prove why they cut your hours, you wont get a dime. I go to ue court ALOT and havent lost a case yet. Even when an initial judge rules against me, appeals turn over the cases. You would be surpised how many employers dont pay attention to wi employment laws.

88Nightmare
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I believe you get 60% of what you earned last fiscal quarter. 26 weeks is standard time for unemployment. Max I believe is just under $400, I think its $380 or so.

CobaltSSTuner
04-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I just became unemployed. waiting on my first check... I'm pulling 290 a week. Not the greatest but i'll get by.

tommyt5078
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I think the biggest question you need to ask is " WHY WAS I FIRED " and please don't say you quit. Then what company did you work for? Do they contest stuff like this, if they normally do you might not get anything.

From my experince alot of company will contest it and most win!

If you read all the posts then you can see were all not in agreement on this.

But good luck to you!

T-Bag
04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I was getting 330 a week before taxes when I got laid off at the fab shop I was working at. I decided to have taxes taken out a couple weeks later and was pulling $280 a week. Its real simple to do, just answer 10 questions every week and look for work.

Don't lie about the stuff either, if you are on a payroll and don't claim what you worked that week you will have to pay back.

97z2801ss
04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
but if your company can prove why they cut your hours, you wont get a dime. I go to ue court ALOT and havent lost a case yet. Even when an initial judge rules against me, appeals turn over the cases. You would be surpised how many employers dont pay attention to wi employment laws.

yea i had to do that too go talk to a judge or something and they didnt even show up i bet they said denie that was a few years back. But i got it anyways.

I understand what your saying. I guess i didnt pay attention to that tid bit

Poncho
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM
ask beagz.......he'll tell ya the truth about it....pm him....

LOL

y2kws6
04-02-2008, 11:34 PM
max pre tax is 353/week You must answer the question at least every two weeks but I suggest you do it every week. It is really easy, I used the online link and did it every Sunday. You have up to 6 months of use.

In the questions they ask if you applied to at least 2 jobs in the past week...right... i was like 12-15 jobs a week.

There are some other questions, but that is the key one.

You answer yes, yes, and then no for the rest.

I got really lucky with my new job by a resume and applying, but your best bet is to network everyone. Resumes get old, but you still need to do them. Look at job fairs and depending on your field look at job agencies; alot of companies use them to screen employees first.

Dan -- Finally back to work.

OxmanWI
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
No I didn't quit, thanks for the website.

swift steve
04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
if you got FIRED then if they had a just reason as to it being your fault due to lack of quality of work such as write ups, absenteeism or etc etc, then you wont be eligible. if you QUIT then you have a battle but will most likely lose because unless it was a documented lack of quality by them (ignored OSHA issues, you documented complaints about your managers with THEIR managers but they didnt do anything, etc etc). but, if you got laid off or fired for simple reasons, or whatever the case and you ARE able to get unemploy, then it is a percentage with the MAX being $355 per week before taxes with a max being 6months. but if you get a job while on unemploy, but its not a full time job, or steady job, then document it when you claim and you will just not get anything or you will get less for that week from the state....then when that job stops because they dont need you anymore/they fire you (dont quit, thatd be a PITA to battle to get your benefits back) then you can resume collecting unemploy at your full rate until your amount runs out (which they tell you how much you are eligible to recieve when you first start recieving.) if you have any other questions ask and i will probably know since i learned alot while i collected and since my uncle owns a large company that deals with a lot of these claims when guys quit for no reason.

70 cutlass 442
04-02-2008, 11:56 PM
if you got FIRED then if they had a just reason as to it being your fault due to lack of quality of work such as write ups, absenteeism or etc etc, then you wont be eligible. if you QUIT then you have a battle but will most likely lose because unless it was a documented lack of quality by them (ignored OSHA issues, you documented complaints about your managers with THEIR managers but they didnt do anything, etc etc). but, if you got laid off or fired for simple reasons, or whatever the case and you ARE able to get unemploy, then it is a percentage with the MAX being $355 per week before taxes with a max being 6months. but if you get a job while on unemploy, but its not a full time job, or steady job, then document it when you claim and you will just not get anything or you will get less for that week from the state....then when that job stops because they dont need you anymore/they fire you (dont quit, thatd be a PITA to battle to get your benefits back) then you can resume collecting unemploy at your full rate until your amount runs out (which they tell you how much you are eligible to recieve when you first start recieving.) if you have any other questions ask and i will probably know since i learned alot while i collected and since my uncle owns a large company that deals with a lot of these claims when guys quit for no reason.

ERRRRRR, wrong-o. you can have a job for 6 solid months and get fired for just about anythign and you can collect.

That_Guy
04-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I just became unemployed. waiting on my first check... I'm pulling 290 a week. Not the greatest but i'll get by.

hahahahahahaha

wikked
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
(max you can get is $999/wk.)

USMARINE1108
04-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm confused :confused I was under the impression the gov paid unemployment, but some statements in this thread are leading me to believe the former employer pays it...............

swift steve
04-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm confused :confused I was under the impression the gov paid unemployment, but some statements in this thread are leading me to believe the former employer pays it...............

the former employers Unemploy Insurance

88Nightmare
04-03-2008, 11:28 AM
the former employers Unemploy Insurance

that made no sense :confused

USMARINE1108
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
that made no sense :confused

I'm pretty sure he means the former employer's insurance.

88Nightmare
04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I heard from many people that the former employer pays your unemployment insurance, but I also heard from many others that its the government making the payments....

y2kws6
04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
lol, you are all correct. The employers pay the government when your claim goes through the government pays you after they confirm your answers to the questions.

Also the max amount per week is 353.00 I have the statements to prove it.

Dan

T-Bag
04-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Employers pay in a certain amount of of unemployment benefits per employee for a period of time.

I went through the state draw system as I had quit a job to go to another job, but I was at the other job for only one month and got laid off...so they couldn't charge the unemployment from either employer.

So you were all paying my unemployment. Thanks!

Z28Roxy
04-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I thought it was at least funded through an insurance pool.... ie all employers pay it as part of their payroll taxes...

When someone is laid off, they take from that large pool.

Employers who lay more people off have to pay higher "premiums" whereas employers who don't pay lower. I think that's how it worked in CA at least, no idea about WI...

wikked
04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Also the max amount per week is 353.00 I have the statements to prove it.

Dan

no. I've seen checks for more than that :P

Also right on the check it says "not valid in excess of $999"
Otherwise it would say "not valid in excess of $353"

y2kws6
04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
no. I've seen checks for more than that :P

Also right on the check it says "not valid in excess of $999"
Otherwise it would say "not valid in excess of $353"

Well I received the maximuim for the last 5 months at 353.00/wk according to the workers in the unemployement agency. I was still short about 2K per month from previous employement.

Dan