PDA

View Full Version : direct port nitrous?

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 10:42 AM
anybody have any experience with setting one of these up. ive been attempting to find my power adder of choice. i had been running a wet kit for some time then decided to take it off because i wanted to do a turbo build now im looking at doing nitrous again then kinda stumbled apon the idea of direct port. so.. on a scale of 1- being cant change your own oil and 10 being i did a car build from the ground up. what are we looking at here?

BAD LS1
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Easy to put on? Sure. Can you get greedy and drive over the crank in one false move? Yes. I would say its a great alternative for like 150 shot and less. The cost of nitrous fills will kill the buzz sofaking fast though.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Easy to put on? Sure. Can you get greedy and drive over the crank in one false move? Yes. I would say its a great alternative for like 150 shot and less. The cost of nitrous fills will kill the buzz sofaking fast though.

i guess. last time i filled up a bottle it was like 3-4 dollars a lb.. i still have alot of what i need to pull together my turbo build im just waiting for a little better tuning options..

BAD LS1
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Umm what about a LSJ ECM or 2 bar O/S upgrade through HP tuners?? Injectors and a pump and the hair dryer and never have to fill a bottle again...

Or still confused on that whole MAF thing?

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Umm what about a LSJ ECM or 2 bar O/S upgrade through HP tuners?? Injectors and a pump and the hair dryer and never have to fill a bottle again...

Or still confused on that whole MAF thing?

well.. i cant use the lsj pcm because it has a vin lock out.. so i would need access to gm tech 2. also. the wiring harness on my car and the ss/sc and the ss/na is different and would be a total cluster ****. at this point in time my only 2 options are a smt6 or 7, or the aem fic. witch both come i with lap top based piggyback tuning.. but.. i would have to hard wire all these in. im waiting for aem and gravana to release the harness in the middle of the summer. so i can do it the right way. at this point and time im weighing my options

when, if i fallow though though i will need a 2 bar.

juicedimpss
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
anybody have any experience with setting one of these up. ive been attempting to find my power adder of choice. i had been running a wet kit for some time then decided to take it off because i wanted to do a turbo build now im looking at doing nitrous again then kinda stumbled apon the idea of direct port. so.. on a scale of 1- being cant change your own oil and 10 being i did a car build from the ground up. what are we looking at here?

if you dont get greedy,thats a great option.....of coarse if you werent greedy<you wouldnt be looking at a direct port kit either.
I say they are overkill for most nitrous users.
be careful.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
if you dont get greedy,thats a great option.....of coarse if you werent greedy<you wouldnt be looking at a direct port kit either.
I say they are overkill for most nitrous users.
be careful.

so what im gathering its to the big bang factor in volved.. but i heard that it safer then running a wet kit like ive got. that there is less of a chance/ no chance for fuel puddling

BAD LS1
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
screw piggy backs... Yeah they might work but then when you have to drive the car at anything but WOT your gonna have issues... maybe check out HP tuners forum in the L4 cars section to see what others do...

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
screw piggy backs... Yeah they might work but then when you have to drive the car at anything but WOT your gonna have issues... maybe check out HP tuners forum in the L4 cars section to see what others do...

i just may do that..

they said that they dont have support for it right now but may have it in the future

forest
04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Direct port is very nice, damn near perfect distribution to all cyl. Like Tom and Ron said though, greedy=boom. Nitrous is about 5.00 a pound almost everywhere and direct port will use it up quick on a good shot.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Direct port is very nice, damn near perfect distribution to all cyl. Like Tom and Ron said though, greedy=boom. Nitrous is about 5.00 a pound almost everywhere and direct port will use it up quick on a good shot.

ok.. this my lead me to my next question..

i also heard that a 50 shot direct port is like a 75 wet shot? is this true?

forest
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
heres where it gets interesting, it all depends on your manifold design, compression, cam profile, exhaust/intake, fuel pressure, ect.... every car acts different on the same hit. Direct port will GENERALLY hit harder in almost every situation you come across. but, never for sure on anthing. 75 direct port on a high compression 4cyl will porb. act like 90hit or so, be carefull....

Deggy
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
You trying to blow your little eco-tec up Nate?

Well look at it this way. Zach runs I think a 50 wet shot on his eco and doesn't really have any major motor work that i know of..and he ran a low 14 or something IIRC.

Breecher_7
04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Hit it with a 300 and watch the fireworks....... :rolf

70 cutlass 442
04-02-2008, 05:35 PM
:wstupid

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
You trying to blow your little eco-tec up Nate?

Well look at it this way. Zach runs I think a 50 wet shot on his eco and doesn't really have any major motor work that i know of..and he ran a low 14 or something IIRC.

zach ran a 13.9 and he is using a 75 shot

Deggy
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I thought it was a 13.9...but I wasn't sure. From what I hear is that those Eco-tec motors really like boost and nitrous.

Deggy
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
:wstupid

Jon, how big of a shot were you running on the 5.0 last race season? If you don't mind sharing...I'm just curious.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
heres where it gets interesting, it all depends on your manifold design, compression, cam profile, exhaust/intake, fuel pressure, ect.... every car acts different on the same hit. Direct port will GENERALLY hit harder in almost every situation you come across. but, never for sure on anthing. 75 direct port on a high compression 4cyl will porb. act like 90hit or so, be carefull....

hmm..

well i have high compression,i have a mild cam grind "stg 1", long tube header, highflow cat down pipe 2.5" header back exhaust. full cold air intake.. i wonder if something like this would blow me to the moon if i dont drop my compression and go forged.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I thought it was a 13.9...but I wasn't sure. From what I hear is that those Eco-tec motors really like boost and nitrous.

well the stock blocks are good for 1500 hp. and the bottom end of the engines are beafy as all hell not to mention zach has the same engine in his car that i have.. but he as a really good tune. that i dont have at this time

Deggy
04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah i forgot Zach does have a tune on the Cav too.

Did you see pics of the Eco-Taxi?

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah i forgot Zach does have a tune on the Cav too.

Did you see pics of the Eco-Taxi?

no...

Deggy
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
1998 or something 4 door sunfire with an 05 sunfire front end conversion and a eco swap.

i guess hes got something special instore for the motor...my guess would be a big turbo.

70 cutlass 442
04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Jon, how big of a shot were you running on the 5.0 last race season? If you don't mind sharing...I'm just curious.

started off with a little baby 100 shot off the fogger, then i got cocky and put a trick flow top end with the berry grant plate system and i tried out the 200 jets from about mid september on. traction sucked.

scottie K
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
well ... call me a little dumb asking a nos question.... but isnt a direct port same as a fogger set up ? wet??

if you need some help on the tuning aspect you could call ron or me ... im sure we could figure out a safe tune up and get that thing to rock... with out the booooom..... im not saying were gurus but we do have alot of experiance between the both of us...

70 cutlass 442
04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
well ... call me a little dumb asking a nos question.... but isnt a direct port same as a fogger set up ? wet??

if you need some help on the tuning aspect you could call ron or me ... im sure we could figure out a safe tune up and get that thing to rock... with out the booooom..... im not saying were gurus but we do have alot of experiance between the both of us...

i was running a single fogger nozzle in the intake, the direct port setup for the 5.0 goes between the upper and lower intakes and each runner has its own fgger nozzle

That_Guy
04-03-2008, 12:21 AM
on a fuel injected system they can hook plate to each injector. and it injects that way..

That_Guy
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM

i would have to tune via piggy back for that matter

scottie K
04-03-2008, 05:20 AM
well i had a single nozzle and i have direct port ( 8 fogger nozzls)

so what your saying is ita plate system..... post a pic of the system you .have

That_Guy
04-03-2008, 09:20 AM
well i had a single nozzle and i have direct port ( 8 fogger nozzls)

so what your saying is ita plate system..... post a pic of the system you .have

i have a wet kit. its not on the car anymore.. but.. when i had it on my car i had my nozzle mounted after my maf. i took it off my car because i was planning on selling it, now im reconsidering.

ill post a video of my exact set up...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VYf5OIQG8XA of course i didnt blow up my car

Smokey1226
04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Hit it with a 300 and watch the fireworks....... :rolf

/thread :D

That_Guy
04-03-2008, 09:56 AM
/thread :D

lol