PDA

View Full Version : 1995 and older Emissions,, ends in July?

pOrk
04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't seem to find any information on the fact that the DMV won't be testing OBDI and older cars anymore. Any idea where I can find some info?

Karps TA
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I've never found anything more then the govt having discussions about doing this sometime in the future. I would think that if it was true, the information would be pretty easy to find.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I heard June, but like mentioned can't find a dang thing to substantiate the claims.
You would think there would be some reference to it somewhere online.

SmokinRAM114
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
i work next door to the emissions place on badger in waukesha ill ask i have a van thats gota go through.

SmokinRAM114
04-02-2008, 04:44 PM
the head manager wasnt there and the guy had no idea but thaught it was a good idea

lordairgtar
04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Urban legend

T-Bag
04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Urban legend

Its beginning to sound like it

Nothing mentioned in the news, nothing outside of word of mouth. This would be all over if it was true

pOrk
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
The only thing I found on it was on a Subaru forum, a guy that works at the DMV in Waukesha said they wont be doing it any longer. I tried to find it again today but now I can't find it.

michelle
04-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I sure hope it is true, although changing the county where it is kept is working for now.

Russ Jerome
04-03-2008, 05:12 PM
It's not urban legend, no more drive on testing in WI this summer
for non OBD2 cars. This directly from emmisions employees and
your correct for some reason they are sheilding the news, maybe
they figure people like me (just titled/plated a 93 Saturn) will
ignore the emissions test until they close. $8 an hr idiot testers
from the AAA rent an employee will roast my 140k mile clutch for sure!

Russ Jerome
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
More IM240 closure news:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-17-emissions_N.htm
more reference to WI:
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=13667
Its out there google keywords IM240 or non OBDII testing drop

Prince Valiant
04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
We need to get the old junkers off the road," state Sen. Jeff Plale says. He favors giving owners of old cars grants or loans to replace them or ending emissions tests and using the money to build rail lines and expand bus systems.He's getting an irate email from me....He should have said: "We should give the money back to the taxpayer's instead of spending it on these worthless, "feel good" test that do nothing to improve air quality"

xxsn0blindxx
04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I just took my car in for emissions today and got friendly with the testing guy talking about mustangs. He confirmed that in July, 95 and older vehicles will no longer be required to have emissions testing. He also said that the 96 and newer cars will have new testing requirements. He said any 96+ car that does not pass the OBD2 computer test will have to run on the rollers and any car that does not communicate with OBD2 at all will be kicked out of the testing station. He specifically cited cars with stand-alone engine management. This is the first I've heard of this and the guy had the potential to be a few beers short of a 6-pack so take it for what it's worth.

T-Bag
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
At first I was thinking this would be a bad thing since all the asshats would be driving around in their death traps on wheels...but then I realized most people that own these death traps drive them around anyways.

******* north side

CobraSnake
04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
At first I was thinking this would be a bad thing since all the asshats would be driving around in their death traps on wheels...but then I realized most people that own these death traps drive them around anyways.

******* north side

OMG I laughed my ass off on this one because I can relate.

Mark

Car Guy
04-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I actually thought that it was next spring, but this July is fine by me.....:headbang

There is ONE reason why they're not advertising this anywhere and most likely won't even tell most people if they ask.....

Reason being is everyone will specifically want to buy a `95 or older just because they won't have to worry about emissions. There are two things that most people always ask about regardless of the rest of the vehicle's details; does the heat/air conditioning work and will it pass emissions...??? Now obviously this only pertains to people looking for a vehicle priced in the mid-90's price range, but there are many of those people at this point in time. Eventually the `95 and older era vehicles will move into the category of 'too old' for most to consider buying. However, for the next 7 or so years it WILL make a difference and that time frame might be 'adjusted' just because of this issue. Only time will tell.....

In a nutshell it really changes things for people buying a car from that era, and if you are in the business of selling cars from that era it's the best thing since sliced bread.....:D

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Heat Seeker WS6
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I swear insurance companies get something for getting older cars off the road- somone who does insurance please elaborate on my experience-

When my car got totaled out & I was in the process of trying to buy it back, my former american family agent kept making a stink on 'getting the old stinky' cars off the road & getting into something more ecomonical. He wouldnt leave that alone & tried his hardest to get me out of my V8 & into a gas-sipper. He even tried to 'sell me' on the perks of such a car. :flipoff2::flipoff2: He was very displeased when I wouldnt.

Cryptic
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
^^^ you were killing his margins thats why:rolf

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-03-2008, 08:14 PM
That insurance agent sounds like an ENVIRONMENTALIST WACKO to me.

Car Guy
04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I swear insurance companies get something for getting older cars off the road- somone who does insurance please elaborate on my experience-

When my car got totaled out & I was in the process of trying to buy it back, my former american family agent kept making a stink on 'getting the old stinky' cars off the road & getting into something more ecomonical. He wouldnt leave that alone & tried his hardest to get me out of my V8 & into a gas-sipper. He even tried to 'sell me' on the perks of such a car. :flipoff2::flipoff2: He was very displeased when I wouldnt.

For the 'stinky old cars' comment he was probably telling you that because of his personal feelings about newer cars getting better MPG, in which they do for the most part. 4 cylinder foreign cars got better gas mileage than brand new ones of the same make but weren't that safe.....

However, from an insurance point of view 'older' cars have more issues to deal with if they are to be fixed and are cheaper to insure, so less $$$ for them.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

70challenger452
04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
this would benifit me greatly, I took off my cat last summer on my truck because the cat was junk, and I know I'll have to get it tested this october, and I really don't want to buy a cat, so score one for the home team:banana1:

xxsn0blindxx
04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
You can do some electronic wizardry to make the OBD2 computer think you have cats. Somebody I know with a car exactly like mine passed emissions for the second time in a row with no cats today ;) When they do a plug in as long as OBD2 says everything's kosher and your gas cap seals fine they pass it.

lordairgtar
04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
You can do some electronic wizardry to make the OBD2 computer think you have cats. Somebody I know with a car exactly like mine passed emissions for the second time in a row with no cats today ;) When they do a plug in as long as OBD2 says everything's kosher and your gas cap seals fine they pass it.
Oh, do tell us how to do this?

xxsn0blindxx
04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
This works the mustangs, I'm not sure if the capacitor and resistor values are the same for other cars.
http://www.cougardb.com/howtoshow.php?howtoid=8

The easier way is to spend $50 or however much it costs and just plug on some MIL eliminators also called O2 sensor simulators. They just send a signal back to the computer that is in the same range as an O2 sensor when there is a proper catalytic converter installed. As far as the computer know everything is how it should be.

michelle
04-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Oooh that is sneaky and pretty cool. (:

osiris152006
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Got a question for those that have registered cars up north. Has anyone that has registered their car up north and daily drive it in Milwaukee ever been pulled over and questioned by a cop why it is down here? Do they ever say anything about it? Or do they just give you the ticket for wutever the reason was they pulled you over in the first place? Reason being, I have a 98 Integra that is 4 months expired. I cant take it for emissions because the car has been converted to OBD1 for tuning purposes (most of you may know that about OBD2 hondas) so when they plug it in, it will not communicate. So they will most likely just fail me. So instead I was thinking since im already overdue, Ill just go to the DMV and re-register it in a non-emissions county. Wouldnt that work and then not even have to deal with emissions? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!!

Z28Roxy
04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Got a question for those that have registered cars up north. Has anyone that has registered their car up north and daily drive it in Milwaukee ever been pulled over and questioned by a cop why it is down here? Do they ever say anything about it? Or do they just give you the ticket for wutever the reason was they pulled you over in the first place? Reason being, I have a 98 Integra that is 4 months expired. I cant take it for emissions because the car has been converted to OBD1 for tuning purposes (most of you may know that about OBD2 hondas) so when they plug it in, it will not communicate. So they will most likely just fail me. So instead I was thinking since im already overdue, Ill just go to the DMV and re-register it in a non-emissions county. Wouldnt that work and then not even have to deal with emissions? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!!

I've HEARD some people just register them in places like Walworth county. Closer to Milwaukee. :goof

70challenger452
04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
nop, no issuses with cops, just write in Jefferson for the line of county kept in, and you'll never have to worry about it ever again

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
They (the government) will question and know why you are moving it to a non emission area, they (the government) will probably not allow you to do that type of transaction.

Good luck tho.

T-Bag
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
They (the government) will question and know why you are moving it to a non emission area, they (the government) will probably not allow you to do that type of transaction.

Good luck tho.

Not.

I've been doing this for many years now without them ever batting an eye.

H8RADE
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Not.

x7
I have lived here nearly 6 years.
Last year I had a legal (in Walworth Co.) Jeep on 42" tires and 1ton axles.
I drove it to work at Miller...daily...

limpimpg
04-15-2008, 09:13 PM
well putting in a different county might not work anymore. not saying it will but a guy at work got denied for it they want him to prove he owned it . his parents owns the place.he's being doing it for years but because his name wasn't on the address. and his drivers liscense didn't match the address.they denied it.all this because his plate were due.so i bet in july there will be some new rules too.

LIZMO
04-15-2008, 09:14 PM

i've had all my cars registered at my dads house in dodge county (minus the jetta) and i've driven them everyday and pulled over in every car and they haven't said anything about it :thumbsup knocks on wood. lol

Flicktitty
04-15-2008, 09:21 PM
i coulda swore i heard about this on the news last year. IDK though i don't care enough to find it cause i don't have to deal with it. Walworth Cty. FTW!

70challenger452
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
well putting in a different county might not work anymore. not saying it will but a guy at work got denied for it they want him to prove he owned it . his parents owns the place.he's being doing it for years but because his name wasn't on the address. and his drivers liscense didn't match the address.they denied it.all this because his plate were due.so i bet in july there will be some new rules too.

when you register a car, you put your address on it then, there is a sperate section that says, "county kept in" you wite in jefferson for county and city, there is no required adress or anything. You can live in one county and have the car "kept" in a different one

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Not.

You've been registering cars in emission testing required areas, failing to pass emissions in said areas and then trying to say the car is no longer kept in an emission testing required area for years now ? :rolf

And for the folks who have talked about an address or property, none of that is required it is still registered to your home address wherever that may be and all the paperwork is mailed to that address, vehicle is just kept in county of XXXXXX.

osiris152006
04-15-2008, 11:46 PM
when you register a car, you put your address on it then, there is a sperate section that says, "county kept in" you wite in jefferson for county and city, there is no required adress or anything. You can live in one county and have the car "kept" in a different one

Exactly, because they cant deny you of that because some people actually may keep the car in these other counties. How are they actually gonna know, other people on here have said they have been pulled over and the cops dont mention anything of it. Im thinking I'm just gonna give it a try tomorrow and hope for the best. Its Wisconsin. I went to the DMV website and they have a MV1 form which is the application for title and on the 4th page, it still says under Vehicle information "Vehicle kept in County Of" City,Village or Town Of:
I dont have to change any other info, I just need to change the Vehicle Kept in part so I can be registered. Thats the only part where im worried that they would question me about why im changing that. Because I have owned the car for the last two years and its always been under Milwaukee County.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Well just tell em you are done daily driving the car and leaving it as back up car at your summer home in blah blah blah.
If that dont work get another number and hope for a different teller, or go to a different DMV location, sooner or later you will find the right lazy government goon willing to do thet deed without question.

MY4RCDGSX
04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I've done the same thing with my cars, as far as keeping it in a different county. The only thing that I can think of that's tripped the system, is that a friend tried to register both of his current cars in a non-emissions county, and got zinged because he didn't have one at his current address.

For me, it would be equivilant to living in Oshkosh, where both of my cars would be, and driving to Milwaukee every day while having my mail go to mequon. :goof Needless to say, I've always told people that have had multiple cars to leave at least *one* in the same city as their mail is delivered to. Makes the whole "I keep that car at my summer place" or, "I keep the car there because that's where I go to school" type thing easier to swallow for the DMV.

My .02 cents anyways. :confused

CannotPost
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
I've done the same thing with my cars, as far as keeping it in a different county. The only thing that I can think of that's tripped the system, is that a friend tried to register both of his current cars in a non-emissions county, and got zinged because he didn't have one at his current address.

For me, it would be equivilant to living in Oshkosh, where both of my cars would be, and driving to Milwaukee every day while having my mail go to mequon. :goof Needless to say, I've always told people that have had multiple cars to leave at least *one* in the same city as their mail is delivered to. Makes the whole "I keep that car at my summer place" or, "I keep the car there because that's where I go to school" type thing easier to swallow for the DMV.

My .02 cents anyways. :confused

They dont even put a tail pipe sniffer on AWD cars and trucks, just pass the OBD scan and done! My S4 has been through emissions a few times.

nitroxtreme
04-16-2008, 09:08 AM

You can spend 50.00 on a MIL elimator or go to Radio Shack spend 1.50 on some resistors and put them into the O2 sensor wire and well ECM still thinks the Cat is still there. Thats what I did for my Subaru

tbarsch
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Yep - it's true...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=744206

03CVLX
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder how this will affect all the 2007 + diesel owners now that they will start being emission tested.

Feature Pony
04-28-2008, 12:19 PM

On the cops MDT which is the computer that you run plates and people on through the state. When you run a PC (regular car) license plate there will be a number in which that number will link to a county on where the car is kept. 99% of the cops out there do not know what this number means and they don't pay attention to that number anyways, they will just write you a ticket. The only way I found out is I ran all of my cars and they came up with different numbers I had to call the state to find out what they ment. And no I'm not a cop anymore.

lordairgtar
04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Damn, I got rid of my pre 96 cars. My 95 Escort was the trade on the HHR and I recently sold the 83 Marquis.

osiris152006
05-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Ok so I finally went and changed the County kept it for my car. It was very easy took about 5 minutes, got my sticker, paid the dues but as I was about the leave the clerk said "Just so you know they are looking into vehicles registered in other counties." I said ok and walked away. Honestly I think they are just tryin to scare people. I dont think they will actually spend money and time to look for cars that are registered in counties that dont have emissions. It would be a huge waste of time, and if they did how would they do it? What do you guys think? Is it just a threat or will Wisconsin actually get strict on this??

CobraSnake
05-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Ok so I finally went and changed the County kept it for my car. It was very easy took about 5 minutes, got my sticker, paid the dues but as I was about the leave the clerk said "Just so you know they are looking into vehicles registered in other counties." I said ok and walked away. Honestly I think they are just tryin to scare people. I dont think they will actually spend money and time to look for cars that are registered in counties that dont have emissions. It would be a huge waste of time, and if they did how would they do it? What do you guys think? Is it just a threat or will Wisconsin actually get strict on this??

this is exactly what the clerk told me. She said that they have people driving around checking to make sure your car is being kept in that county. I just told her that if they ever see my car parking at my house address that i'm just visting.

Mark

LIZMO
05-14-2008, 03:36 PM
they could do it by looking at the address where you live and then if the car is there, they will prob think the county you registered it in is a fake one.? idk. if that makes sense, cuz my 240 has my address but i said it stays at my dads house in dodge county.

but i have a question... if they have that law for 1996/95 or older cars don't need emissions... should i change my registered county back to where i actually live??

osiris152006
05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I wouldnt change it back quite yet. Id wait till June or July. Cuz they may still have 95 and older cars still go for emissions for a little while longer. Just until they get into the new way full swing.

swift steve
05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
eh, i dont have to worry tho my pre 95 car is registered up north, since either way i dont need emissions :-D ha, suckas, i win with both battle fronts.

LIZMO
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
yea ill wait or maybe not even change it back, cuz i hate sitting at the dmv and waiting forever.

CobraSnake
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
they could do it by looking at the address where you live and then if the car is there, they will prob think the county you registered it in is a fake one.? idk. if that makes sense, cuz my 240 has my address but i said it stays at my dads house in dodge county.

but i have a question... if they have that law for 1996/95 or older cars don't need emissions... should i change my registered county back to where i actually live??
Yeah there is no way they can prove that you weren't just home visiting. So I just don't worry about it.

Mark

LIZMO
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
my mom was all worried about it and told me to just park my car in reverse in the driveway cuz i didn't have a front plate on it for a while. i figured they wouldn't do anything about it so i just pulled in. so far so good (knocks on wood) haha.

70 cutlass 442
05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Ive had every vehicle i owned registers out of the area. no issues. one cop did however notice it when i was pulled over and made the comment that he deer hunts in the same county that my car is kept in, and that all his cars are registered there too.

pOrk
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
I failed emissions in the blazer by .1 gram unburned fuel. How gay.

W1CK3D SAINT
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Maybe someone could answer this. I purchased my 92 Ty a couple weeks ago and have to have it emission tested by mid-june, but I think I can request a free 30 day extension and that would put me over the July 1st(?) start date of the new testing policy. Would I then be exempt, or would I still require the initial testing since it was purchased when emissions are required for that model year? Just checking, because it seems like the truck is running pretty rich and I'm not sure if it'll pass :confused Yes, it's registered as being stored in Waukesha.