PDA

View Full Version : LS1 grounds?

USMARINE1108
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
So I've been having this issue with my car for about a year and a half (I started a thread about it when it first started, but I think it's gone now) and I'm getting around to doing something about it. While driving:

- ASR turnes off (light on dash goes out and light on gauge cluster comes on)
- ABS inop light comes on
- Brakes kick back at you when applied
- motor "chuggs" and loses power
- sometimes, temp, gas and RPM will go to zero for a few seconds, then work again

I've checked the grounds on the back of the drivers side head, took the bolts out, cleaned them and put them back on. They are good. I'm thinking either a ground someplace, alternator or batt, could even be a coil. What grounds should I check? Anyone have any suggestions?

BAD LS1
04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Well you need a GM service manual for a start there... most of the issues you listed are caused by those 3 on the back of the head.

USMARINE1108
04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Well you need a GM service manual for a start there... most of the issues you listed are caused by those 3 on the back of the head.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. :durr Before I tear those things apart again, I'd like to check any other grounds. Where are they?

USMARINE1108
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Anyone have any idea on other grounds I should check? :stare

BAD LS1
04-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I did reccomend you get a service manual or get with someone who can get you on alldata for more troubleshooting leads on it.

Pretty much the 3 on the head, the two on the front rad support are the major ones. You can remove the kick panels and check the ground busses in each corner of the lower dash... Something happend to it when you did the heads if i remember correctly... so retrace your steps.

USMARINE1108
04-08-2008, 05:59 AM
I did reccomend you get a service manual or get with someone who can get you on alldata for more troubleshooting leads on it.

Pretty much the 3 on the head, the two on the front rad support are the major ones. You can remove the kick panels and check the ground busses in each corner of the lower dash... Something happend to it when you did the heads if i remember correctly... so retrace your steps.

Thanks, I'd just rather check some other simple stuff before I tear into those grounds on the back of the head again. I already took them back off for this (about a year ago), cleaned the holes, bolts and terminals. The terminals are on seperate bolts. I guess I could take them back off, extend the wires and replace the terminals, maybe there isn't enough slack between one of the wires and the motor so the terminal pulled off? Man, that's a pain in the ass. :mad: I also replaced the batt leads/terminals.

No, I didn't have any problems with this after my H/C install, this started about 6 months/5000 miles later. You may be thinking of my transmission that was welded shut by a dealership? :rolf What kind of service manual do you recommend? I've got a Chiltons (sp?) and a Hanes (?) and am very proficient at reading a schematic. I'm thinking either a grounding issue or voltage being induced back into the system, like a diode inside the alternator or maybe a bad coil?

Stupid question, is there a way to "read codes" for my brake system, as my BRAKE light is always on?

Taetsch Z-24
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
www.helminc.com.

they are the people that make all of GM's, Ford's, Honda's,Mopar's..........

That is the ONLY manual i would use.

IF you want i can order you one at work.

(GM parts)

Chris

Taetsch Z-24
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
and yes there is a way to read code's

TEC-II

Chris

forest
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
there is a ground strap on the drivers side of the block, bolted in with a 15mm headed bolt, also some cars have a harness ground that goes to the front of your engine near the lower drivers side of the timing cover. try those