PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Camaro-DELAYED!!!

Prince Valiant
03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
From Leftlanenews.com:

In a somber press release scheduled to be released tommorrow, General Motors will anounce the delay of the highly anticipated Chevrolet Camaro. The length of the delay is at this point, undetermined. Sources have revealed a possible 2011 introduction as a 2012 model.

Calls to former Holden chief and current Camaro project manager Denny Mooney and to GM executive Bob Lutz have not yet been returned.

There was no reason given in the press release or by our source, however there is some speculation to the cause for the delay:
- Difficulty getting entry level models to meet increasing EPA standards. This compounds the issue of devoting manufacturing space to the Camaro. They need large volumes of cars produced to make the platform feasable; if the entry level models aren't sufficiently fuel efficient, this could cost GM billions in fines leveled by the EPA. The danger of course, is that the EPA standards will continue to rise making the "window of opportunity" to produce this model and make a sufficient profit that much narrower.

- Inherent indecision about powerplant availability. There has been much debate as to the direction GM would follow with regards to engine availability. The two biggest concerns are with entry and possible mid-performance model availability. Many engineers are pressing for making smaller engines available to comply with tightening future EPA standards. Our source has revealed that one such plan includes making the entry level model a turbo 4 cylinder, the mid-performance the 3.6 V6, and the SS using the LS3 V8.

The 4 cylinder being considered would be a direct injected version of the 2.4 liter ECOTEC 4 cylinder. Horsepower would not be as high as the current version of the 2.0 engine found in the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky Redline, feuturing 260HP, but it would deliver significant fuel savings and broader powerband. Our source indicates a goal of 230HP, nicely splitting the Ford and Dodge entries in this segment. This would compete with the base V6 Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, both of which feature V6's of 4.0/210HP and 3.5/250HP respectively.

The 3.6 v6 would fill the mid-performance void and would be seen as a competitor to the Mustang GT and Challenger R/T versions. This points to the likelyhood of using the Direct Injected version of the V6 as seen in the Cadillac CTS, making 306 HP, surpassing the 300HP of the Ford entry, but falling a ways short of the Dodge's expected 370+HP entry into this segment.

The SS will likely feature the 430HP version of the LS3 as found in the current Corvette.

-Some have also speculated that the Camaro is being delayed to make a mid-performance version featuring a high-output diesel; The engine would be a low-deck V6 version of the upcoming 4.5 Liter V8 Diesel that should become available in the light duty half-ton Chevy/GMC pickup trucks. Possiblitly of Sub 3 liter displacement with approximately 260HP, but nearly 460 ft-lbs of torque.

The crux of the problem however, remains that GM appears unable or unwilling to bring out the Camaro in stages similar to the release of the Dodge Challenger. This appears to be due to the cost of using a full assembly line to produce only a comparitively few cars; since GM can only afford to produce 5000 V8 Camaros a year or so to keep from negatively impacting their CAFE standards. This is especially true given the recent release of (and initially very slow selling) Pontiac G8.

Regardless of the cause, this is still highly disappointing news indeed. When we find out more from our source, or phone calls from higher up execs are returned, we will certainly update you.

Leftlanenews.com (http://www.elon.edu/images/e-web/pendulum/April-Fool-ILLUS.jpg)

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
i really dont think it would be a bad move by gm to make the 2.o lnf in the camaro considering it would be producing the same hp or more then past models. also with 260hp and 260 fts of tq thats a decent power plant...

but then again its a 4 cyl engine in a camaro and they would probly float like a lead brick with the old skoolers

Car Guy
03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
GM = FTL...!!! :loser :chair: :alcoholic :punch: :rolleyes:

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Slow Joe
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Ah yes, another delay... I think I called this one... I don't think it'll ever come out...

Korndogg
03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
your an asshat. I should kick you square in the nuts lol.

Karps TA
03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
LMAO at the replies.

Slow Joe
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
your an asshat. I should kick you square in the nuts lol.

Me? :D

Poncho
and the G8 is called slow selling? It was dropped stupidly in "certain" markets and in certain areas. i.e. some just getting ONE car for now.

GM/Chevy ****s up again

Fords and Pontiacs for me still I guess.

Korndogg
no......Chris

lordairgtar
This is what happens when the bean counters run the show. They could of course use the same platform to make a compact family sedan and call it the Nova. The first Camaros were based on the early Chevy II platform, so why not. And lesser Camaros wouldn't be a stretch either since there were six cylinder and even four cylinder models ( the four banger blew chunks, tho) Iv'e even seen 78 camaros with sixes at shows. Open up one of those lines they shut down if they are worried about devoting a line to the car. AND STOP LISTENING TO THE EPA! It's time for the Revolution to begin.

Slow Joe
03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
no......Chris

Damn, I had a good comeback and everything :rolf :durr

Korndogg
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Im the one laughing here. And so is Karps. AND Chris. lol

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
honestly though a lnf camaro would still be faster then a 6cyl mustang.. witch really isnt a bad deal. not to mention the good gas mileage.

lordairgtar
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Just like the HHR Panel. Chevy was so excited about getting it out to small business types as a cheap vehicle to haul stuff, but did you ever see one advert for it? Not even mentioned in the dealer brochure. IDIOTS!!! Or that Overweight, overpriced SSR. A Ute with Vette price tag.

Poncho
03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
GM is so gay right now.

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Just like the HHR Panel. Chevy was so excited about getting it out to small business types as a cheap vehicle to haul stuff, but did you ever see one advert for it? Not even mentioned in the dealer brochure. IDIOTS!!! Or that Overweight, overpriced SSR. A Ute with Vette price tag.

the ssr is a pos any ways

but i completely agree with you on the hhr panel truck.. when i first saw it at a dealer i was like wow.. thats old school looking...drop a ls1 in it and do a rwd conversion and you have a badd ass ride

Slow Joe
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
GM is so gay

QFT! :rolf

Poncho
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Joe don't do your gay propaganda thing here, and also be like "BUT MY SAAB IS NOT GM! THATS NOT AN ECOTEC UNDER THE HOOD!"

you are all about propaganda.

lordairgtar
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/hhr-custom-by-unique-performance/resized_hhr-custom-by-unique-performance_11.jpg
Mean like this one, nramlow?

Poncho
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Chris, you are a bastard.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Good it was ugly and a money losing proposition anyway, I guess they lose what they got in it so far ?

Maybe they will try to field a fuel pincher sometime this decade ? :rolf

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/hhr-custom-by-unique-performance/resized_hhr-custom-by-unique-performance_11.jpg
Mean like this one, nramlow?

exactly! lol..

USMARINE1108
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Huh. Who didn't see that comming?

GRAMPS SS
03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
told ya maybe my sons kids might see it....LMAO......

Deggy
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
told ya maybe my sons kids might see it....LMAO......

That is a big MIGHT, Wayne.

Slow Joe
03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
GM = The Fail!

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2787/fail2it9.jpg

slickwilly
03-31-2008, 07:46 PM
i really dont think it would be a bad move by gm to make the 2.o lnf in the camaro considering it would be producing the same hp or more then past models. also with 260hp and 260 fts of tq thats a decent power plant...

but then again its a 4 cyl engine in a camaro and they would probly float like a lead brick with the old skoolers
Yeah but it's just the wrong engine. Can you imagine driving a a heavy car with a turbo low-torque engine in it? Yes, I know it makes torque while boosting, but it would be horrid to drive around town. You'd have to get boost just to accelerate up a hill.

PB86MCSS
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
April fools?

Theres already alot of new Camaro's running around being spotted for testing....hard to imagine they'd delay it 1-2 years at this point.

Deggy
03-31-2008, 07:57 PM
GM = The Fail!

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2787/fail2it9.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/deggyfresh/failsdf.jpg

hrsp
03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
gotta be a joke...

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah but it's just the wrong engine. Can you imagine driving a a heavy car with a turbo low-torque engine in it? Yes, I know it makes torque while boosting, but it would be horrid to drive around town. You'd have to get boost just to accelerate up a hill.

here is some info on the lnf

this is the turbos compressor map "borg warner k04"
http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57&d=1165704191

some engine info

2007 Ecotec 2.0L I4 Turbo ( LNF ) 51806
Type: 2.0L I4 Turbo
Displacement: 1998 cc ( 122 ci )
Engine Orientation: L ( longitudinal ) T ( transverse ) L
Compression ratio: 9.2:1
Valve configuration: dual overhead camshafts
valves per cylinder: 4
Assembly site: Spring Hill, Tennesee
Valve lifters: hydraulic roller finger follower
Firing order: 1-3-4-2
Bore x stroke: 86.00 x 86.00
Fuel system: Direct Injection
Fuel Type: Premium Fuel Required
Applications: Horsepower: hp ( kw )
Pontiac Solstice GXP 260 hp ( 194 kw ) @ 5300 rpm ( SAE CERTIFIED )
Saturn Sky Red Line 260 hp ( 194 kw ) @ 5300 rpm ( SAE CERTIFIED )
Applications: Torque: lb-ft. ( Nm )
Pontiac Solstice GXP 260 lb-ft ( 353 Nm ) @ 2500 - 5250 rpm ( SAE CERTIFIED )
Saturn Sky Red Line 260 lb-ft ( 353 Nm ) @ 2500 - 5250 rpm ( SAE CERTIFIED )
Fuel shut off: 6200 rpm
Engine Redline: 6300 rpm
Emissions controls: secondary A.I.R. capable
MATERIALS
Block: 319 Aluminum
Cylinder head: Semi-permanent-mold 356 Al cylinder head
Intake manifold: Aluminum
Exhaust manifold: Cast stainless steel
Crankshaft: forged steel
Camshaft: cast nodular iron
Connecting rods: forged steel
Additional features: DI ( direct injection )
Dual-scroll turbocharger
Dual CVCP ( continuously variable cam phasing )
Sodium-filled Iconel exhaust valves
cast pistons with oil squirters
forged connecting rods
steel crankshaft
Semi-permanent-mold 356 Al cylinder head
Variable pressure fuel rail ( 50-150 bar )
Stronger block bulkhead and deeper water jacket
Block modifications for new balance shafts
Lower crankcase / structural oil pan improvements
Coil-on-plug ignition
Direct injection high-pressure multi hole injectors
58x engine position sensing
Stainless steel fuel system components
Cam driven high pressure fuel pump

Rocket Power
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Fords and Pontiacs for me still I guess.
Newer Pontiacs = Chevy with bird beak front end:goof
I can't believe they haven't killed buick and Pontiac yet and GMC for that matter. All they need is chevy and caddy for the upscale.
Once again GM is late to a Party. PT Cruiser -- HHR
Retro stang and Mopar-- 10-20 years later camaro after the next trend will have started

MyWhiteZ
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
APRIL FOOLS :) ........ god i hope so

juicedimpss
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
ahaha a 4 cyl mullet-mobile

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
ahaha a 4 cyl mullet-mobile

laugh all you want but it will happen.. not to mention that 4cyl engine has the same hp or more then alot of the older camaro's

juicedimpss
03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
laugh all you want but it will happen.. not to mention that 4cyl engine has the same hp or more then alot of the older camaro's

it would still sound ghey.
:chair:

Reverend Cooper
03-31-2008, 10:34 PM
camaro=nomarrow

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
it would still sound ghey.
:chair:

i guess you havent heard one of these lnf engines fully bolted under wot..

juicedimpss
03-31-2008, 10:43 PM

it sounds like any other under cubed engine........

:rolf

slickwilly
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah but the point is you're still gonna have to drop a gear or three and hit boost to get anywhere. And even then you're not gonna be going all that quickly. The reason I love 5spd 5.0s is because they're perfectly happy under 2.5K for around towning. Hell, mine cruises in fifth at under 1500 without issues.

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 10:51 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=25EJ6-WU2CE

juicedimpss
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
um,that doesnt sound cool.
:banana1:

Korndogg
03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
lol that sounds like my 550 Kawasaki

TraceDaddy
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
My Mustang WAS an SSR until my wife pointed out that we would have to get a babysitter to go anywhere.

Took it back a couple days after the sale. Dealer sold me my Mustang instead.

The SSR isn't a speed demon but it turns heads. Lots of heads. I bought mine used for not much more than my Mustang.

My car is a DD though and even I couldn't justify an SSR in January.

Poncho
04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah but the point is you're still gonna have to drop a gear or three and hit boost to get anywhere. And even then you're not gonna be going all that quickly. The reason I love 5spd 5.0s is because they're perfectly happy under 2.5K for around towning. Hell, mine cruises in fifth at under 1500 without issues.

cool. An LS2 can idle in 6th around town.

Poncho
04-01-2008, 12:29 AM

Try this instead

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ucq7bPBR8e4

or something about the same as mine

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2005-gto-with-really-big-cam_23558.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/new-hpe-camsick_23550.htm

Unlike mine though, upon start up it actually idles. Mine I have to give it a few blips to idle properly.

Voodoo Chick
04-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Personally, I thought the concept Camaro was absolutely hideous. Anyone that knows me (not too many people here, in all fairness) knows that I LOVE Camaros, 1st-3rd Gens, I wasn't terribly fond of 4th Gens, then again I don't like any newer cars. Anyway, I thought this "new Camaro" was horrid looking. Too posh, too polished, too "mid-life crisis car" in my opinion. If it never hits the streets, I couldn't care less.

slickwilly
04-01-2008, 12:40 AM
cool. An LS2 can idle in 6th around town.
Holy shit, a fairly new 6.0 V8 has an easier time getting around than a practically ancient 5.0 V8? You don't fvcking say... :rolf

Poncho
04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Holy shit, a fairly new 6.0 V8 has an easier time getting around than a practically ancient 5.0 V8? You don't fvcking say... :rolf

well you pointed out that your 5.0 could idle around town, I merely pointed out that it's nothing new.

Reverend Cooper
04-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Personally, I thought the concept Camaro was absolutely hideous. Anyone that knows me (not too many people here, in all fairness) knows that I LOVE Camaros, 1st-3rd Gens, I wasn't terribly fond of 4th Gens, then again I don't like any newer cars. Anyway, I thought this "new Camaro" was horrid looking. Too posh, too polished, too "mid-life crisis car" in my opinion. If it never hits the streets, I couldn't care less.

A ring A ding ding we have a WINNAHHH

Poncho
04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
1 am is a bit late for a sonic blue kitten to be up, don'tcha think?

SlowStee
04-01-2008, 04:11 AM
WTF is going on :confused

DRK
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
aussie dan is just telling everyone how badass his GTslOw is again

BadAzzGTA89
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
aussie dan is just telling everyone how badass his GTslOw is again

LMAO

DurtyKurty
04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

BAD LS1
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Eh oh well... Probably because the designers were banking too much into performance than if chicks will buy it because of the styling... Damn bean counters strike again.

At least there is that low 13 sec G8 that made it over on the tuna boat. Now that thing would creampie the asshole of a new 3V great tires stock to stock

Rocket Power
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Guy says 3" tips ,dual quads... I see 4 tips not 8 :rolf
Sounds like my Old Quad 4 calais when the muffler fell off. Bet that's way cheaper than his exhaust:goof

88Nightmare
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Newer Pontiacs = Chevy with bird beak front end:goof
I can't believe they haven't killed buick and Pontiac yet and GMC for that matter. All they need is chevy and caddy for the upscale.
Once again GM is late to a Party. PT Cruiser -- HHR
Retro stang and Mopar-- 10-20 years later camaro after the next trend will have started

Where's your PT Cruiser now? :rolf

HHR has been doing very well in sales, and has a bit more interior room then the PT cruiser. Personally, I like the way the HHR looks over the PT Loser. Looks more retro

Prince Valiant
04-01-2008, 05:58 PM

HHR has been doing very well in sales, and has a bit more interior room then the PT cruiser. Personally, I like the way the HHR looks over the PT Loser. Looks more retroYeah..but mike, it's got a LONG way to go until it hit's 1,000,000 cars sold, a mark that even at it's current rate, will take around 9-10 years after the start of production in 2006, IE, when the PT cruiser past that mark.

The PT hit that 1,000,000 car mark in 5 model years...HHR's had been selling at roughly 6,000/month until recently, where it's hit 9,800/month.

Now, as far as styling, It's subjective...I mean, if you like a car that looks like it has pressed on oversized fenders, a nose that 3 feet too long, and a big buck-tooth appearence to it's grill better, that you man...no argueing here. But then, please don't show no pics of any girlfriends either :goof

Cryptic
04-01-2008, 06:21 PM
LOL... Chris you got a few of them!

BOSS LX
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

:rolf:rolf:rolf

lordairgtar
04-02-2008, 12:06 AM

HHR has been doing very well in sales, and has a bit more interior room then the PT cruiser. Personally, I like the way the HHR looks over the PT Loser. Looks more retro
PT Cruiser and the HHR were actully designed by the same person. GM hired the guy away from Mopar. Although similar ideas, the PT was to originally copy a thirties sedan and the HHR got its style cues from a 48 Suburban. HHR does have a bit more room than the PT. I have a Panel version and it's a great little car/truck. It also made the June 2008 issue of Collectible Automobile in the Future Collectibles page.

lordairgtar
04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah..but mike, it's got a LONG way to go until it hit's 1,000,000 cars sold, a mark that even at it's current rate, will take around 9-10 years after the start of production in 2006, IE, when the PT cruiser past that mark.

The PT hit that 1,000,000 car mark in 5 model years...HHR's had been selling at roughly 6,000/month until recently, where it's hit 9,800/month.

Now, as far as styling, It's subjective...I mean, if you like a car that looks like it has pressed on oversized fenders, a nose that 3 feet too long, and a big buck-tooth appearence to it's grill better, that you man...no argueing here. But then, please don't show no pics of any girlfriends either :goof
Considering Mopar advertised the shit out of the PT and GM hardly ever mentions the HHR.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Considering Mopar advertised the shit out of the PT and GM hardly ever mentions the HHR.

good things sell them selves. lol

Deggy
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM

So why the hell are their so many Cobalts out there? :goof

Waver
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Yea, I guess that is why the mustang gets little advertising.

That_Guy
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Yea, I guess that is why the mustang gets little advertising.

same with the corvette.

Prince Valiant
04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
How lame is this? A thread about the delay in camaro production turns into some lame and poorly supported aurgument about PT cruisers and HHR's; both of which are equally crappy cars based on neon's or cobalts...both equally crappy cars themselves.

btw...APRIL FOOL'S!!!!

lordairgtar
04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Lame only to you, Princey.

Korndogg
04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
maybe if you guys clicked the link lol.

Reverend Cooper
04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
same with the corvette.

corvettes dont sell for shit

Reverend Cooper
04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Eh oh well... Probably because the designers were banking too much into performance than if chicks will buy it because of the styling... Damn bean counters strike again.

At least there is that low 13 sec G8 that made it over on the tuna boat. Now that thing would creampie the asshole of a new 3V great tires stock to stock

wanna bet,mine went 12.8 on steets n/a not to mention the g8 is prolly on spray ahahahaha g8's are gay

Cryptic
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Ohh get over yourself.... There's nothing wrong with the G8

BAD LS1
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
wanna bet,mine went 12.8 on steets n/a not to mention the g8 is prolly on spray ahahahaha g8's are gay

lol what about the rest on the road that run like a full second off from that:goof

Reverend Cooper
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
they can't drive i guess, and you didn't tune em I'm over myself Andy but it still doesn't make them less gay. g8's=ftmfg