PDA

View Full Version : Good work boots?

T-Bag
03-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I just recently got hired by AT&T and I need to get some good work boots. They must be ankle high, 90 degree block heel of at least 1/2 inch but no more th an 1 1/2 inches high. Heavy leather construction

Most of my previous workboots came from when I was working at Streicher's and I would buy police boots as they were comfy as all hell.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced boot that is comfortable, light and matches their requirements. Anyone have any suggestions and where to buy?

88Nightmare
03-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Red Wing workboots. I have a 4 or 5 year old waterproof steel toe pair that is holding up outstandingly!

nismodave
03-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Go to Famous Footwear, get the Wolverine midtop spice tan boot. I have worn them for 10 years, no break in required. I replace them about every 1 1/3 yrs.

WickedSix
03-30-2008, 11:14 PM
I would recommend wolverines as well but from what I remember they don't come cheap....

nismodave
Mine cost around 70.

Windsors 03 Cobra
Carolina in addition to the above mentioned good boots.

88Nightmare
03-30-2008, 11:19 PM
my redwings were pricey, I wanna say over $150, but they've lasted up to 4 or 5 years so far. Only thing I've noticed is they arent AS waterproof as they used to be. After a few hours of trudging around in snow, I will start to feel the ever so slightest bit of moisture, but its not like I take my boot off inside and my sock is dripping wet. The leather has its fair share of slicing in the toes from metal and such dropping on it, but its still holding tough. I think I've gone through like 6 pairs of shoe laces on em though :rolf

nismodave
03-30-2008, 11:21 PM
my redwings were pricey, I wanna say over $150, but they've lasted up to 4 or 5 years so far. Only thing I've noticed is they arent AS waterproof as they used to be. After a few hours of trudging around in snow, I will start to feel the ever so slightest bit of moisture, but its not like I take my boot off inside and my sock is dripping wet. The leather has its fair share of slicing in the toes from metal and such dropping on it, but its still holding tough. I think I've gone through like 6 pairs of shoe laces on em though :rolf

Yea but you dont do shit anyway all day.

Flicktitty
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
X2 for Redwing boots.

i also like Texassteer boots? they were availible at K-Mart not sure if they still have them anymore thoguh?

88Nightmare
03-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Yea but you dont do shit anyway all day.

and what the **** exactly are you implying?

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
i also like Texassteer boots? they were availible at K-Mart not sure if they still have them anymore thoguh?

Ah yes, these sand colored $hi!t kicker's are very popular in the more rural parts of WI. :rolf

Flicktitty
03-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Ah yes, these sand colored $hi!t kicker's are very popular in the more rural parts of WI. :rolf

:rolf:rolf:rolf yeap like out here in Walworth county lol. My dad has been using them for years. And ironicly there in the shit business.

Korndogg
03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Redwings

pOrk
03-31-2008, 12:56 AM
I stand on concrete 12 hours a day and I wear Red Wings. They are worth the money

That_Guy
03-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Red Wings Ftw!

awsomeears
03-31-2008, 07:44 AM
RED WING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

:thumbsup

UnderPSI
03-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Being a lineman, I have both Red Wing and Wesco. If you are going to be climbing, either with gaffs or a ladder make sure you get a lineman or a logger boot. They will have a steel shank that runs under the middle of your foot. It provides extra support under the middle of your foot and makes your boot stiffer making it more comfortable when you are standing on a ladder rung or standing on gaffs.

If you can afford it, Wesco boots are the best I have had. You can have them built how ever you want, height, steel toe, steel shank, sole, ect. They take a outline of your foot and build the boots for you.

No matter what you get, if you are going to be in your boots all day, when you can afford to, buy two pairs of the same boot. That way you can alternate days you wear them. One pair of boots will last a year and a half, alternating pairs every other day will make them last 5 years.

T-Bag
03-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, where can i go take a look at redwings with a decent variety?

forest
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
look at Catapillar brand as well, like the tractors, good boot.

ND4SPD
03-31-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't know if they will meet your specifications, but you should look into HiTech's Magnum series of boots. They are absolutely the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. For my job with the fire department I wear a pair of side zips, easy on, easy off. I'm in them easily 16+ hours a day.

lilws6
03-31-2008, 09:45 AM
almost all of us at tires plus just waer the walmart brand boots believe there brahma's we usually destroy boots left and right so thats why i won't buy a good pair but this last pair i've got is out lasting the laces just bought some new ones they seem pretty confortable i stand on concrete for 8-10 hours a day and my feet are usually fine

UnderPSI
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
There is a redwing store on Hwy 100. I am not sure the address, but it is on the West side of the road if that helps. It's in a small strip mall. I guess look it up, but that's where I go.

Ricky Bobby
03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
there is a redwing store on the corner of hwy 100 and beloit.

For TWC all they supply are the gortex(sp?) red wing boots i go threw a pair every 1.5yrs. If u work outside alot like i do get the gortex they are warm and water proof up to ur ankle and im on my feet 8-10hrs aday up and down tele. poles either ladder or gaffs and they also have the steel shank in them, they are a little pricey at $180 but are worth it IMO

Korndogg
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
I go down to Rogan's shoes for my red wings. They usually have deals.

Breecher_7
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
IVe had good luck with both Redwing and Wolverine. The wolverine's tend to last longer for me though. Bit pricy though, around $180 a pair.

T-Bag
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't know if they will meet your specifications, but you should look into HiTech's Magnum series of boots. They are absolutely the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. For my job with the fire department I wear a pair of side zips, easy on, easy off. I'm in them easily 16+ hours a day.

I have a set of Magnum Elite's I wear at right now at my current job, most comfortable boot ever but I need an ankle high with a square heel :crying

Got them from Streicher's while I was working there several years back.

Korndogg
03-31-2008, 05:37 PM
IVe had good luck with both Redwing and Wolverine. The wolverine's tend to last longer for me though. Bit pricy though, around $180 a pair.

Redwings are about the same price. Mine were $160. Got them half off this last time though because Rogan's had a buy one get one half off.

Rocket Power
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Timberlands Pro Series Titan Safety toe. Light and comfortable right off the bat. I am standing on concrete all day and they are fine. I had red wings didn't care for them toe wore out too fast. I paid somewhere around 130-140 @ ROgans and your get a second pair of shoes 1/2 price

http://tbl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTBL-1603596v250.jpg

http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2269762&cp=1762199.1780842&clickid=mainnav_browse_txt&parentPage=family

davidjp3
04-03-2008, 12:08 AM
I tried on about 15 different pairs of soft toe 6 inch work boots with a squarish heel and the most comfortable ones were by far John Deere.

I was put off at first by the brand name but they are realy comfortable compared to wolverine and some of the other top names. Wolverine had very hard boots wheras the John Deeres were soft and cushiony.

I think they were $120 at Workwear Depot on s. 27th and grange. They have huge selection.

Make sure they're waterproof too!

What position did you get hired for? I work for AT&T too.