PDA

View Full Version : Portable Dyno??

07ROUSHSTG3
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
well, last year ROUSH brought their dyno out to our dealership for a little show. since then, they have cancelled their traveling dyno program so now i am looking for another one. i would like to set up a "dyno days" again, but obviously we need the dyno, LOL! i thought that kurgan motorsports had one, but i heard that they don;t. any help is appreciated.

on another note. do you think a guy could make money with a traveling dyno? i was pretty close to buying one last year but i did not pull the trigger. now i am thinking about it again. what do you guys think? go from car show to car show, dealer to dealer, with a dyno?!?!? a guy could make some money i would think.

Karps TA
03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I think a portable dyno is a great promotion for a company. Real good way to get a company's name out there for tuning and such. But I don't see it as something you'd really make alot of money with. Not too mention you're talking about eating up your weekends thru the whole summer basically. Cause for the price of one, you'd need to work alot just to pay it off.

Mr Twigbert
03-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking a traveling dyno charges like $50-$75 for 3 pulls.. Strap down time and the actual pulls I think would be about 45 minutes per car.. 6-8 cars a day for each Sat & Sun would be about $400-$500 a day..

But, you have to advertise what your location would be.. I'm not sure what a dyno costs but I'm willing to be at least $8,000..

I think in a summer you could have it paid off.. If you hit it hard.. Then the following years would be all profit.. It might be worth it..

07ROUSHSTG3
03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking a traveling dyno charges like $50-$75 for 3 pulls.. Strap down time and the actual pulls I think would be about 45 minutes per car.. 6-8 cars a day for each Sat & Sun would be about $400-$500 a day..

But, you have to advertise what your location would be.. I'm not sure what a dyno costs but I'm willing to be at least $8,000..

I think in a summer you could have it paid off.. If you hit it hard.. Then the following years would be all profit.. It might be worth it..

to do a dynojet on a hydraulic trailer it would be about $40K. 25 for the dyno and i figured another 15 in the rig to pull it. it would defenitely take a bit to pay for itself but i think that there would be some cool opportunities with it. me and a buddy were VERY close to trying it last year, but he backed out and I kind of forgot about it. now that i am trying to find one for our show, i am seeing a market for one, but not sure how long that market would be around. after a few years you would think that it would lose its luster?!?!

again, anyone know of one around?

Mr Twigbert
03-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh... $40k... I was only off by $32K!!!

LoL.. I'm gonna stop typing now and gonna go take a shower seeing I have no clue what I am talking about..

forest
03-30-2008, 02:11 PM
We looked at that for our shop, complete turnkey rig was $129,000.00 NO B.S.!!!! it would be nice but we "settled" for spending $46,000.00 on our setup, above ground, not portable, and 2wd only, with option to upgrade. We also installed it ourselves, wich saved $$$$$ as well. And we drove to Ohio to get it ourselves, so no delivery charge. Good Luck, Forest